• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

In Hindsight, does anyone really believe Tony would have beat Khabib?

I’m a Tony fan, and I think Khabib’s dominance speaks for itself. He would always be the rightful betting favorite over Tony, but I do think Tony could present problems for Khabib. I liked Tony chances better in 2017 and 2018 when it was booked as opposed to 2020 when Tony is pushing 37.

Both Khabib and Abdulmanep have always said that Tony is Khabib’s hardest fight yet. Who cares what troll Ali says. Overall in context a pretty dumb thread. Sherdog gonna Sherdog.

PS: We have never seen anything that says Khabib beats Tony in a standup war. You’re just trolling and speaking in hypotheticals.

Would've been a great style match up. Tony is clearly superior on the feet, and would engage from the bottom with elbows, sweeps and subs, embracing that challenge and not trying to wall walk. Would've been a grinder. If Khabib found himself tired in the third or fourth round he would've had to show us something we haven't seen before. Hopefully we still get that fight in the future.

I don't think Tony is "clearly superior" at anything.

For that matter, Tony would never have come up off the floor ...

Khabib would never get tired fighting a weak man like that.

Tony would have beat him and Justin will definitely beat him.

Khabib wasn't "caught" with anything, he gave up his neck, let Dustin waste his energy, confident he could get out of anything Dustin tried to do.

Khabib has forgotten more ground moves than anything anyone else in there has ever known or been taught.

When asked "What he would have done different, " to beat Khabib, Dustin Porieir said, "Brought a gun," so thoroughly was he dominated. Tony could not do a thing to Khabib on the ground that Khabib couldn't counter and overpower. Khabib is also too smart to catch elbows like the rest. He is in "a different level."

As Khabib said, "I will flatten him, tire him, make him tap." Tony does not have the body strength (or total ground savvy) to stop Khabib from doing exactly what he wanted to do.
You write all of this as if they are facts, they are not bud.
Khabib has stated numerous times that Tony would have been his toughest challenge.

TBH, I never though Tony could beat Khabib.

You might recall, before the fight, Ali predicted Tony would be one of Khabib's easiest fights, due to his lack of physical body strength, that and how he was easy to take down.

Although the fight never happened, I said previously that Khabib could could have actually beat Tony standing ... let alone maul TH out of him on the floor.

Regardless, Tony's last two wins were not impressive ... he just faced two multi-losing, multi-quitting "fighters" (Pettis / Cowboy) ... struggling in the first round with both.

Anyone who thinks Tony has a shot at dethroning Khabib is stoned.

He is good at beating "average" fighters, who have "nothing special" in their arsenal. (Don't hit hard, are not master grapplers.)

But Tony does not have the striking skill to beat a seriously-good striker, like Justin (Dustin / Conor), and he doesn't have the body strength to deal with a master grappler like Khabib.

Word
Khabib wouldn't have brawled with Tony the way Justin did.
Khabib would've bobbed around for the first half of the round while Tony taunts him and then Khabib would do one of his lightning fast dives for the single leg and cling onto it like his life depends on it.
How Tony reacts and deals with it, that has yet to be seen.
But, Tony has a way of fighting and a style about him that could still be a problem for Khabib, just because Tony is so crafty with grappling, holds, locks, takedowns.

You seem pretty emotional about this. Tony is a better striker than Khabib by a lot. Don't know what to tell you if you can't see that. Tony also has strong defense on the ground, a sick BJJ game, and is vicious with those elbows. That fight could end up in deep waters, and being tired against Tony is a death sentence for most guys.

I’m a Tony fan, and I think Khabib’s dominance speaks for itself. He would always be the rightful betting favorite over Tony, but I do think Tony could present problems for Khabib. I liked Tony chances better in 2017 and 2018 when it was booked as opposed to 2020 when Tony is pushing 37.

For sure.

Both Khabib and Abdulmanep have always said that Tony is Khabib’s hardest fight yet. Who cares what troll Ali says. Overall in context a pretty dumb thread. Sherdog gonna Sherdog.

Of course they said that, to build up the fight. Ali spoke his opinion.

PS: We have never seen anything that says Khabib beats Tony in a standup war. You’re just trolling and speaking in hypotheticals.

We? Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

Khabib hits hard enough to have KO'd opponents and is the only fighter to have dropped Conor. Khabib's boxing now is technically much sounder than Tony's. Tony isn't really that good at striking, he's just weird and unpredictable. I think Khabib is faster than Tony and has a 1000x better footwork.

The thing that nobody seems to comprehend with Khabib, is that Tony would always be slightly hesitant, knowing that a full commitment to a punch = being taken down.

I don't think Tony would have a snowball's chance in hell of beating Khabib on the ground.

Khabib would certainly not have taken the approach Justin did so I don't know how that fight is relevant.
I think Tonys style is awkward for Khabib. Khabib would be favourite against anyone on the roster but I did think Tony had a chance.
I wanted to see this fight because both their styles depend on being the guy who goes forward all the time.

only way to beat bib is to ko him, and it seems it's a hard thing to accomplish

Would've loved to see it but the vast majority of supposed Tony fans on here wouldn't bet on him if their life dependet on it. Gun to your head 90% of people on here would pick Khabib.
I would. I just like the style matchup.

You seem pretty emotional about this. Tony is a better striker than Khabib by a lot. Don't know what to tell you if you can't see that. Tony also has strong defense on the ground, a sick BJJ game, and is vicious with those elbows. That fight could end up in deep waters, and being tired against Tony is a death sentence for most guys.

Not emotional at all pal. And, No, Tony may be a more versatile striker, but he is not technically better. Khabib's striking is getting really good these days.

His footwork is also excellent, and is able to get out of the way, and move around the ring going backward (sideways) or forward than most people realize.

Tony's defense on the ground would be no match for Khabib's offense. I don't think there is anyone who can pass a guard more quickly, smoothly, and more decisively than Khabib Nurmagomedov.

If Khabib achieved side control of the flimsy Tony, and he would every round it lasted, he would proceed to ground and pound him senseless or to a stoppage.

I've always felt like Khabib beats Tony pretty handily, but nothing about Saturday should change your opinion on that potential fight

Khabib and Gaethje are polar opposites

I've always felt like Khabib beats Tony pretty handily, but nothing about Saturday should change your opinion on that potential fight

Khabib and Gaethje are polar opposites

It didn't change my opinion, it solidified it.

To beat Khabib - you don't need a puncher's chance, you need a submission chance. And cardio. Tony's great at both. And if Doostin was able to slide in, Tony would as well and he would not let go. So, yeah, I think he had a great shot. Still has - 1 more win and he's back into title contention.

Whatever Gaethje did to Tony is completely impossible for Khabib to do. He has no KO power. So that's whatever. Even the other guys - Cowboy, Pettis, Barboza, Lando... Styles make fights.

are you on drugs?

It would be a good fight for sure. Tony got exposed a bit on his striking, esp bc Justin didnt fade. Usually the expectation is that Tony will get out struck for a bit then will start taking over as the other fighter fades a bit.

Khabib wont outstrike Tony like that, it would be a different fight. I'd like to see it for sure.

Styles make fights.

Even after the Tony/Gaethje slaughter, I think Tony might be a tougher fight for Khabib due to his durability, unpredictability, and guard game.
Not only that but tony was motivated for the Khabib fight and I believe he was let down just like us fans were

For sure.

Of course they said that, to build up the fight. Ali spoke his opinion.

We? Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

Khabib hits hard enough to have KO'd opponents and is the only fighter to have dropped Conor. Khabib's boxing now is technically much sounder than Tony's. Tony isn't really that good at striking, he's just weird and unpredictable. I think Khabib is faster than Tony and has a 1000x better footwork.

The thing that nobody seems to comprehend with Khabib, is that Tony would always be slightly hesitant, knowing that a full commitment to a punch = being taken down.

I don't think Tony would have a snowball's chance in hell of beating Khabib on the ground.
Yeah yeah I get it. Tony was never good and his record is padded, etc. I do agree that he sometimes lacks in fundamentals and striking defense. That has always been my knock on him. He is awkward and crafty. But the guy has melted numerous former champions and perennial contenders on the feet in the deepest division in MMA. Many of them prolific strikers. Way more so than Khabib. You don’t do that without skills. I’ve always said that Khabib has underrated stand up. His boxing has definitely gotten better, but you are delusional If you think Khabib just beats Tony up strike for strike.

You have no evidence to say that they just said that to build the fight up. Why didn’t they say the same for Conor or Poirier? They’ve said this for years.

As far as the grappling goes, Khabib’s chain wrestling and top control is elite as it gets. Masterclass grappler. Elite sub game too. It’s funny though, in the Dustin fight Khabib got closer to being subbed than Tony ever has in his UFC career. In fact, Tony has more sub wins in the UFC and even choked out two guys that decisioned Khabib. A juiced Tibau stonewalled Khabib but Tony had that neck faster than Buffer could say “fight.” Tony sub game has been some of the best the division has ever seen as well. Let’s just say if Khabib ever slipped up and offered his neck to Tony like he did to Dustin, Tony would take his soul and break dance on it. Anything can happen in MMA.

I don't think Tony would beat Khabib, I'm also not retarded so I know that Gaethcje vs Tony didn't show me shit regarding Tony vs Khabib.

Back