In hindsight are the UFC fighters just as juiced as the Pride fighters were?

People in PRIDE looked like shit compared to today "clean athletes" in the UFC.

Their two best fighters in Fedor and Big Nog looked nothing like the ripped UFC monsters.

Fucking Sakuraba looked like crap. Gomi also looked like shit.

Rampage was skinny, Shogun was skinny, hell even Overeem was skinny.

Coleman, Wand, Hendo and Arona were the only ones with impressive physiques as far as I can remember.
Randleman and Sapp might as well have been Cody McKenzie and Roy Nelson. ;)

The difference is that many ped's are/were legal in Japan but not in the USA. I recall seeing "hormone" stores in Tokyo where one could buy supplements
Now that's reaching. "I recall seeing someone...", "are/were legal..." Thing is: you have no clue of what you are talking about.

Now that's reaching. "I recall seeing someone...", "are/were legal..." Thing is: you have no clue of what you are talking about.

Steroids are endorsed in Japan meaning you won't get prosecuted if they catch you with them but they will confiscate them.

What is illegal in Japan are needles and to use most steroids you do need needles since oral steroids aren't nearly as effective or they rape your liver like halotestin

My guess is that they didn't do steroids as much as you would like to think.

PRIDE didn't release fighters like the UFC does. Less pressure. All you had to do was fight like a man and the crowd would love you.
If I look at someone like Sakuraba I can't believe he was on steroids.

He said recall seeing "hormones" lol not "someone" as you've posted
And he said are/were legal bc at that time they were legal but may not be anymore
that'd be my guess

Last edited:
One organization didn't test at all and even encouraged PED use, while the other had testing for most of its existence and just implemented an even more strenuous testing standard. You do the math.

No , ufc fighters at least got tested on the day of the fight (up until recently)
Pride fighters were probably shooting up on God knows what hours before the fight

Their two best fighters in Fedor and Big Nog looked nothing like the ripped UFC monsters.

Coleman, Wand, Hendo and Arona were the only ones with impressive physiques as far as I can remember.

Yup, the modern juice UFC fighters are juicing is much better and harder to trace too.

Lesnar is more roided than the whole PRIDE HW division combined.

Maybe most of the pride fighters didn't cut weight to fight smaller fighters like UFC fighters do

Yup, the modern juice UFC fighters are juicing is much better and harder to trace too.

Lesnar is more roided than the whole PRIDE HW division combined.
This... Shure Lesner is physically gifted but anyone can guess that he's juiced to the gills

Shjhhhh....we aren't supposed to talk about this.

Stick with the narrative.

Doubtful. Even though earlier testing by the UFC was shit, they at least tested, whereas Pride pretty much encouraged their use.

But really until the inception of USADA, if you failed a fight night piss test, you are truly an idiot of epic proportion.

yes but since UFC is american and Pride was japanese people like to pretend the opposite

Discrediting Pride competition as being juiced seems funny now USADA entered the game.! Thoughts?
One factor you are not accounting for is the effect would be lessened when you have to hide your use.

UFC fighters are MORE JUICED. When it's your options when and how to take you will take less. Most PEDs are not addicting and good ones are expensive. In PRIDE it was like this. Now with USADA you need to beat a test, so you need to go to a pro. That Pro will get you on some serious cycles that cost serious money and in order to beat the test you have to take more, and more often.

In short the more extensive the testing the more serious and often you need to use advanced PEDs. Its an escalation over and over again.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there a few fighters who say Pride GAVE them steroids? That could be true or a total lie, I have no idea.

Erick Silva, before and after USADA.

silve3.jpg

The testing in the UFC is (now) more rigorous than in leagues like the NFL, where it basically doesn't exist. Fighters would need to get on that designer shit the Olympians take to beat USADA, but the pay packets are too low for this to be affordable.

These are the consequences – guys going natty, and physiques are reverting to the standard of the pre-steroid era.

Dempsey.gif

91835-004-985730D0.jpg

George-Godfrey-Great-Picture.jpg

You might not think these guys look half-bad. You're right, they don't – but they're all heavyweight ATGs.

Their modern equivalents, in a sport which is now far, far less popular than it was in their era, look like this:

2500.jpg

Something's up, Sherbros.

Last edited:
Back