In Alistair Overeem's last 5 UFC fights..

BobSappIsGOAT

White Belt
Reaction score
He has landed 191 significant strikes, meanwhile he has been hit with only 57. During these 5 fights he has gone 2-3, but been knocked out twice. Alistair has done a great job at outstriking everyone, his chin is just glass. Seems like only yesterday we were wanting Overeem vs Dos Santos. Your thoughts on Reem's future?

What's that number at without the mir fight I wonder

He needs to stay away from Roy "Big Country" Nelson's power.

[YT]zhJqaY0E4HA[/YT]

If anyone could improve their game from grinding, wall n stall, and lnp, it's reem. We seen it in the Mir fight. The way he fights now it's a coin flip if he'll lose or not. He's got solid grappling and clinch work. He just seems to spend it all in the 1st. He has the strength and technique to beat any HW in the ufc, just not the fight IQ

Sad stuff. He's out striking most people, but his glass jaw and the weird way that wild lumberjack punches work so well in MMA see him getting put out so often.

He'll destroy Nelson if he can tie him up against the cage and get him to the mat. But then again it's reem and he'll probably look to stand and bang

Alternating wins and losses till the day he retires.

I don't see him doing well against modern top-10:
- maybe he can KO Arlovski (who has chin problems himself)
- maybe he can LnP Werdum (who won't put Reem out with one punch and may stay in guard too long)
Everybody else either hits too hard, takes punches too good or won't allow to be laid upon. And Reem's not getting a shot at Werdum, anyways.

With a very careful matchmaking Reem might have been taken to the title shot. But his fame is so beyond him and his fanbase is so diminished that I think Joe Silva would just put Alistair through the meatgrinder and see him retire on a skid with several KO losses.

Having a poor ability to overcome adversity and absorb strikes at HW is a very bad quality. He has a better chance at losing to the Matt Mitriones and Shawn Jordans of the division than he has of beating the likes of Cain Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos.

Alternating wins and losses till the day he retires.

I don't see him doing well against modern top-10:
- maybe he can KO Arlovski (who has chin problems himself)
- maybe he can LnP Werdum ( who won't put Reem out with one punch and may stay in guard too long)
Everybody else either hits too hard, takes punches too good or won't allow to be laid upon. And Reem's not getting a shot at Werdum, anyways.

With a very careful matchmaking Reem might have been taken to the title shot. But his fame is so beyond him and his fanbase is so diminished that I think Joe Silva would just put Alistair through the meatgrinder and see him retire on a skid with several KO losses.

Werdums striking has evolved a lot since their last fight. If he can find a way to ko hunt, Reem will not be a problem at this stage in their careers.

its a shame. he has great striking but somehows always gets KOd

between his bad chin & subpar striking defense, Overeem is a very polarizing fighter to watch...

seriously, who gets KO'd by a kick that got thrown 8 times in a row?

Is it even a chin issue though? Really? The guy has had the same basic pattern since his run at LHW, hasn't he? Destroys dudes for the opening minutes, gases incredibly hard, then loses the fight.

He's managed to hide it better since his HW jump, but that is only because a lot of HW's have equally suck-ass cardio.

Werdums striking has evolved a lot since their last fight. If he can find a way to ko hunt, Reem will not be a problem at this stage in their careers.

i honestly think reem is werdums kryptonite. not that hes particuraly a better fighter but that he is just tailor made to give werdum problems.

werdum loves to clinch but cant with overeem. werdum loves to be on the ground but isnt explosive enough to get overeem down so he can work that slick bjj. werdum loves to do things he cant do to overeem in short. now at the same time im not sure that overeem could beat mark hunt and we know what happened with travis browne. so imho reem is a worse fighter that could still get an easy win off the current interim champ.

overeem really hasnt even been striking that effectively since his time in the UFC

I haven't seen him land a serious combo on someone since the rogers fight.

Maybe he threw some knees at Browne but for the most part he throws one or two bombs and that's it.

There's no combo of fluidity. He landed 6 punches in a row on Lesnar when he was turtled up...so good for him?

beating green sick brock, DECISIONing mir, and beating panic attack struve hahahahah. love watching him get knocked out though man.

I am not sure if the chin is the only problem. Several fighters said the same about the Reem, and BigFoot Silva put it bluntly into words: "Overeem is a lion when is punching, but a little kitty when is getting hit".
I don't blame him entirely, getting hit by heavyweights must be a unpleasant experience (i was hit hard doing boxing with featherweights and jr. welters, and it is not nice), but Reem sems to shut himself down mentally after a couple of punches. My father, a former pro featherweight boxer, used to say that if you want to have a measure of a dude in the ring you need to see how he reacts when he is under pressure and getting tagged. Cerrone is a good example of that, you can defeat him but you can't intimidate him with a couple of punches. When Reem starts feeling the knuckle sandwiches coming in, he just fold down and that's it.
Maybe it is because he knows that his chin will be unable to cope, but there is something else in his attitude, I think.

What's that number at without the mir fight I wonder

True! Overreem vs Mir was like 100:4 leaves the other fights like 2:1.

Struve didn't land much or anything significant
Rothwell fight only went a half round.
Mir like 100:4
Nearly killing Browne than eating 5 kicks
Outstriking Bigfoot perfectly till he gets tired and eats 20 punches

Back