In 20 years will we compare Ronda to Royce?

I don't see how Ronda is more dominate than Royce. He fought guys who outweigh him by 50+ lbs and fought 2-3 times in one night to win UFC 1 and 2.

Ronda doesn't go 10 lbs to fight Cyborg.

Because being dominate doesn't mean fighting better competition or against bigger odds, Ronda is crushing her sub par competition in r1 at a high rate.

royce went in with highly specific gameplans and experience against other disciplines - his opponents literally had no idea what they were walking into. Ronda's opponents know exactly what they're up against. (+1 ronda)

royce needed his family and friends to handpick opponents he could beat. Ronda fights anyone in her weight class (+1 ronda)

royce needed the gi to win, but denied his opponents gear from their respective disciplines when worried he would lose. Ronda fights within the set rules (+1 ronda).

Royce ran from wrestlers when they began developing sub defence, and refused to compete. Ronda has taken on the best wrestlers and grapplers - and subbed them or finished them anyway. (+1 ronda)

royce had almost no standup. Ronda has finished two opponents on the feet. Royce believed bjj was all and had no respect for other disciplines, while ronda has worked hard on all aspects of mma. (+1 ronda)

royce fought people much larger than him, but ronda fights people her size. (+1 to royce)

royce held subs too long to deliberately injure opponents, but ronda releases subs when instructed by the ref. (+1 ronda)

royce was caught cheating with steroids, ronda has passed all her tests (+1 ronda)

overall ronda is far more impressive.

l
BOOM

Ye they are alike royce ducked Marco Ruas and rousey is ducking Cyborg. Had Marco been invited to the first UFCs we wouldnt even be talking about royce now and if Cyborg had been in the UFC when rousey first came in we wouldnt be talking about her now.

Cyborg was in the UFC, and asked to be released from her contract

Cyborg ran from Ronda, because she knows Ronda would tool her

As far as Rousey and Gracie...Everyone wants to talk about Royce fighting better competition...let's not forget one gloved Art Jimmerson...that was laughable, at best. Rousey can only fight (and destroy) the competition put in front of her. If I were her, I wouldn't move up 10 lbs to fight Cyborg...her near invincibility amplifies her brand, which she has stretched into photo shoots, late night talk show spots, and roles in movies. Rousey is getting paid, and doing something that could potentially harm her brand is not a good business move at this time.

But let's talk more about "the brand". The weight disparities that Royce faced were used to PROMOTE GRACIE JIU JITSU. Some not particularly muscled guy in pajamas beating hulking beasts was the sell. That was part of the marketing ploy. Ever read a blackbelt magazine from the 80s and early 90s...all sorts of junk ads "Learn the one trick to disable any attacker in less than 2 seconds" "Learn the tactics of Israeli special forces in our VHS series"...if GJJ had been an advertisement, it would've said "Defeat opponents of any size with this secret South American martial art". Royce, along with much of the Gracie family, was tough as nails. He could (and did) take a beating, showed his resolve, and won his fights...and because of him, GJJ/BJJ became a standard, the family made a ton of money, and the art moves on and progresses.

Some day there will be a better female athlete/fighter than Rousey. She is more evolved than Royce. In my opinion, she is at the level of evolution that guys like Pat Miletich and Frank Shamrock were. Better will follow, but they aren't here yet.

I don't see how Ronda is more dominate than Royce. He fought guys who outweigh him by 50+ lbs and fought 2-3 times in one night to win UFC 1 and 2.

Ronda doesn't go 10 lbs to fight Cyborg.

He also fought a bunch of guy that had never seen a submission including a guy with one boxing glove on that taped out as soon as he was mounted with no submission applied.

Ronda is even more dominant than Royce was, and MMA has evolved a lot in 20 plus years; my question is once more women become involved in the sport and get better, will people have the same kind of thoughts about Ronda as many do about Royce in another 20 years? I find it hard to fathom , but am interested in what other think?

don't insult her by comparing to royce..
She can take royce with her eyes closed.

i think so, I think that's fair analogy, if not like Royce she may be remembered like Rickson,

Royce went in with highly specific gameplans and experience against other disciplines - his opponents literally had no idea what they were walking into. Ronda's opponents know exactly what they're up against. (+1 Ronda)

Royce needed his family and friends to handpick opponents he could beat. Ronda fights anyone in her weight class (+1 Ronda)

Royce needed the gi to win, but denied his opponents gear from their respective disciplines when worried he would lose. Ronda fights within the set rules (+1 Ronda).

Royce ran from wrestlers when they began developing sub defence, and refused to compete. Ronda has taken on the best wrestlers and grapplers - and subbed them or finished them anyway. (+1 Ronda)

Royce had almost no standup. Ronda has finished two opponents on the feet. Royce believed BJJ was all and had no respect for other disciplines, while Ronda has worked hard on all aspects of MMA. (+1 Ronda)

Royce fought people much larger than him, but Ronda fights people her size. (+1 to Royce)

Royce held subs too long to deliberately injure opponents, but Ronda releases subs when instructed by the ref. (+1 Ronda)

Royce was caught cheating with steroids, Ronda has passed all her tests (+1 Ronda)

Overall Ronda is far more impressive.

I would make some small amendments but this is 99% accurate imo.
Royce did take a big risk with Shamrock and Pat smith was also dangerous imo.

I know what you mean, but at the same time the women that Ronda has fought know what a guard is, a choke, transitions, etc.

Pancrase existed just before UFC 1. After she beats Tate the third time and two years from now, we'll look at the quality of her competition and realize that she successfully ducked Cyborg for a few years.

Women were highlighting MMA cards on national tv before ronda came along. She hardly invented the sport. She has been dominant but she's 12-0, not 20-0, 12-0.

You can't really compare women to the guys back that far because it's not style vs style anymore. If you had to compare them to an era it would be early 2000s when not a lot of people were fighting and the talent pool was low.

No.

Royce fought everyone, Ronda is ducking Cyborg. Also Royce fought men who had tens of pounds of weight advantage on him.

Ronda is not even close. Both crushed cans, and thats about as much common they have.

Ronda just fought somebody who has been doing martial arts for 3 years of her life total.

Royce fought guys that had been doing martial arts their entire lives... It was a single martial art, but at least they were had more than 3 years experience.

No.

Royce fought everyone, Ronda is ducking Cyborg. Also Royce fought men who had tens of pounds of weight advantage on him.

Ronda is not even close. Both crushed cans, and thats about as much common they have.

If Royce had fought everyone then UFC 1 would have looked More like this

Royce
Ken
Bas Rutten
Funakai
Pat Smith
Vernon White
Suzuki

Last edited:
MMA was known before Ronda -

Royce had to pioneer a sport through its conception.

Ronda is ducking Cyborg.
Nah, Cyborg is the one that asked out of her fight contract and ran away from the UFC. If she doesn't want to fight in the UFC then you can't really blame Ronda for that.

Back