In 20 years will we compare Ronda to Royce?

I honestly don't have any strong feelings of admiration towards Royce. I don't like the guy. I appreciate that he had a role in making MMA mainstream, but I feel like the Gracies would have put someone else in there if Royce wasn't in the tournament. A lot of people are acting like Royce single-handedly built the sport.

And he got popped for steroids. And in interviews, he doesn't really come off as a very nice person.

In 20 years, I'll still have a huge amount of respect for Ronda and what she has accomplished. Overall, she seems like a good person, aside from the sportsmanship issues. Royce Gracie? I respect the fact that he won 3 UFC tournaments, including the very first one. Beyond that? I don't have much time for him.

You don't like Gracie because you don't think he's nice, but you like Honda?

Honda's personality is awful.

I don't see how Ronda is more dominate than Royce. He fought guys who outweigh him by 50+ lbs and fought 2-3 times in one night to win UFC 1 and 2.

Ronda doesn't go 10 lbs to fight Cyborg.

This...it's a joke and it's frankly disrespectful to compare her to him and all the did for the sport...

Royce went in with highly specific gameplans and experience against other disciplines - his opponents literally had no idea what they were walking into. Ronda's opponents know exactly what they're up against. (+1 Ronda)

Royce needed his family and friends to handpick opponents he could beat. Ronda fights anyone in her weight class (+1 Ronda)

Royce needed the gi to win, but denied his opponents gear from their respective disciplines when worried he would lose. Ronda fights within the set rules (+1 Ronda).

Royce ran from wrestlers when they began developing sub defence, and refused to compete. Ronda has taken on the best wrestlers and grapplers - and subbed them or finished them anyway. (+1 Ronda)

Royce had almost no standup. Ronda has finished two opponents on the feet. Royce believed BJJ was all and had no respect for other disciplines, while Ronda has worked hard on all aspects of MMA. (+1 Ronda)

Royce fought people much larger than him, but Ronda fights people her size. (+1 to Royce)

Royce held subs too long to deliberately injure opponents, but Ronda releases subs when instructed by the ref. (+1 Ronda)

Royce was caught cheating with steroids, Ronda has passed all her tests (+1 Ronda)

Overall Ronda is far more impressive.

Last edited:
You don't like Gracie because you don't think he's nice, but you like Honda?
Honda's personality is awful.
Yes, personality and the part about getting popped for steroids. That's a big no-no in my book.

How so?

So the only thing you don't like about Royce is because he doesn't seem like a nice person in the interview?
Also, go ask anybody over the age of 20 why they started BJJ/MMA and they will tell you it's because of Royce Gracie. So yeah, Royce did singlehandedly built the sport.
Why do people keep missing the part about steroid abuse?

Yes, I've heard many fighters and trainers say that. GSP and Firas Zahabi, for example. They were fascinated that a small guy beat the bigger guys, and the Gracie family selected Royce specifically because he was a smaller, less intimidating guy. But I think MMA would have happened anyway. Maybe Royce Gracie made it grow faster than Rickson Gracie would have, or some other Gracie. But I think it would have become a sport regardless. If GSP and Firas saw Rickson Gracie tear people up in UFC1, would they have lost interest? No, I don't think so.

To say that Royce Gracie singlehandedly built the sport is such a gross over-simplification, I'm almost surprised someone on Sherdog would say it, even.

And yes, I go by interviews, video, etc. Since I never meet UFC fighters in person, that's the only thing I have to go by. It doesn't mean I hate Royce Gracie. I just don't see much reason to like the guy.

Yes. I have already said this many times. She is only dominant because other girls are not caught up yet. She has a whole life of experience and most wmma fighters only have years. Royce had a whole life of experience too against guys that didn't know what to do. It makes a huge difference. Ronda will get beat soon enough guaranteed. It happens every time without fail. Every time someone is labeled unbeatable they get beat eventually.

Apples and oranges.

Royce fought bigger guys, most of which that didn't know the first thing about grappling and ground game.

Some people say Ronda is fighting cans, but she fought everyone (except Cyborg).

Royce had a bigger impact on MMA, but i do think Ronda's achievements are greater.

Royce went in with highly specific gameplans and experience against other disciplines - his opponents literally had no idea what they were walking into. Ronda's opponents know exactly what they're up against. (+1 Ronda)

Royce needed his family and friends to handpick opponents he could beat. Ronda fights anyone in her weight class (+1 Ronda)

Royce needed the gi to win, but denied his opponents gear from their respective disciplines when worried he would lose. Ronda fights within the set rules (+1 Ronda).

Royce ran from wrestlers when they began developing sub defence, and refused to compete. Ronda has taken on the best wrestlers and grapplers - and subbed them or finished them anyway. (+1 Ronda)

Royce had almost no standup. Ronda has finished two opponents on the feet. Royce believed BJJ was all and had no respect for other disciplines, while Ronda has worked hard on all aspects of MMA. (+1 Ronda)

Royce fought people much larger than him, but Ronda fights people her size. (+1 to Royce)

Royce held subs too long to deliberately injure opponents, but Ronda releases subs when instructed by the ref. (+1 Ronda)

Royce was caught cheating with steroids, Ronda has passed all her tests (+1 Ronda)

LL

Last edited:

54413-Gladiator-Joaquin-Phoenix-thum-5Pf1.gif

Ronda is even more dominant than Royce was, and MMA has evolved a lot in 20 plus years; my question is once more women become involved in the sport and get better, will people have the same kind of thoughts about Ronda as many do about Royce in another 20 years? I find it hard to fathom , but am interested in what other think?

Why will it evolve and get better in years to come? During the years of UFC 1 fighters didn't know what styles worked. There was no clarity on MMA as a whole. The women of today have all the information. They are training full time with elite men

Pretty good stuff.

In 20 years we'll be calling her the Mohammed Ali for women

She's already considered Royce. Difference is that Royce fought people who outweighed him by many, many pounds and didn't complain.

Great thread. Both are legends and as MMA fans we should show nothing but respect to them both. Royce dominated the sport when it started, fought bigger opponents and no doubt encouraged many people into BJJ. No rules back then and no drug policies but as has been said his opponents were only 1 discipline fighters. Ronda entered into a professional sport with clear rules, weight classes and drug policies and has dominated all that have stood before her and opened the door for WMMA to go mainstream.
Different circumstances but both pioneers and legends.

47db34cdc229.jpg

Mma is such a young sport still, we all talk about pride and fixed fights and juice, well ufc just now is doing legit drug testing, the same could be said about ufc in the future. Mma is still working out the kinks and getting broke in.

Ronda is more like the female Tito.

they actually have a similar style, run into the clinch and take the guy down and choke him/ submit. Ronda has really improved her boxing , it will take someone with amazing footwork who can punish her without getting into the clinch.

She's like Royce in many ways. Had it not been for him, MMA would not have evolved into what it is today and had it not been for Ronda, WMMA would still only exist in smaller orgs with a very limited following. Royce also dominated his opponents, much like Ronda, and they were/are both leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else in terms of technique. Fastforward 10 years, I assume that "prime" Ronda would get tooled by new fighters much like Royce. They both are exceptional athletes, very skilled in certain areas and were/are fighting opponents with a limited skillset.

Well probably not. Like Layla Ali and women's boxing once Ronda's steps away from the sport wmma will fade away pretty quickly.

Back