Improving grip strength...

Hang from a pullup bar.

What's also good for building "squeezing" power in your forearms is to sit up and pull your knee towards your body with your leg bent, feed your opposite arm under your knee and around your thigh (rotate torso towards leg to get a full reach). Lock a figure 4 with your arms as if secureing a RNC. Then squeeze and hold as if you are applying a RNC to your leg. Repeat with the other arm. Hope the explanation is clear.

Ask Todd, I heard he's a solid purple belt with a GREAT grip .He might also teach you a thing or two about core strength.

Only reason I opened this thread. Excellent.

there are so many things you can do for your grip. take a 2x4 get a box of nails and fill up the board with nails, using a hammer ofcourse,alternating hands.

for a forearm/grip get a beach towel and a bucket or even just a bath tub and fill it with water. and then wring out the towel as if you had to drain it of all the water and then when its dry soak it up again and wring it out. do it as many times as you can.

check out S&P and im sure they'll give you some weight oriented exercises.

one person lays down with their gi jacket on the other stands over them, grip the bottom persons lapels and pull them up to you.

Technique is just important as strength. A lot of people are never thought how to grip properly.

Forearm exercises. I hear wrist rollers are great. Also ask todd for some tips.

work as a carpenter for a few years.

LOL, I have the strongest grip at our academy[my claim to fame] "carpenter for 35 years."

The guys that I have seen make the greatest progress in grip and pull strength is 3 guys at the academy who started climbing, man you could really notice the difference. Much like surfers have the ballance and flow thing going for them.

plate pinching
heavy dl holds
thickbar work
rope pullups
sledgehammer work
plate wrist curls
grippers
doing day to day activities with only 1 or 2 fingers
tug o war
judo
etc

Back