Improving grip strength...

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Trickster***, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Trickster***

Trickster*** Banned Banned

does anyone here do any strength training to make their grip stronger? I used to do no-gi and grip wasnt as much of an issue but now that I do gi I find that my hands shake after class and I can hardly make a fist. Grip strength in gi is vital so I was just curious if anyone did anything to improve it?

I recently started 3 different exercises but maybe u guys are doin something different...

2. FlameBoy

FlameBoy Green Belt

Chin and pull ups with my belt. Ive also used an old gi aswell!

Ive got a CoC No1 that I use too

3. The Colonel

The Colonel Purple Belt

Doing a search on the Strength & Power forum will answer all your questions.

4. jscore

jscore Orange Belt

5. ILGrappler

ILGrappler Purple Belt

I agree with the COC grips to improve strength. When I bought the #1, 1.5, & 2, I couldn't even close #2 all the way for one rep. It didn't take much time working on the 1.5 until I moved to #2 for reps.

I have a gripper in my cup holder and rep it out everyday to and from work. It definitely helps.

Gladiator grips make an alright hand grip as well, I think they're cheaper. The knurling on both of these will rip your hands up at first.

6. tinker_190

tinker_190 Brown Belt

Read the S&P FAQ.

7. Prior

Prior Blue Belt

Ask Todd, I heard he's a solid purple belt with a GREAT grip .He might also teach you a thing or two about core strength.

Seriously, I've noted significant progress on my grip since I hang my kimono on a chin-up bar and pull up. You can use different grips, like collar thumbs in or back fabric, and if you pull-up while keeping your legs straight and perpendicular to your body, you can work your core strength too. This has got to be Todd's secret workout.

8. Prokofievian

Prokofievian Silver Belt

Climbing and Captains of Crush.

The guys at the climbing center dont really have that great of an opinion of COC, but apparently my friend knows someone who can crush a full can of coke. If it's true, they must work.

Campus training is also great. If you have a climbing gym around you, they'll have some great ideas.

9. jerbone

jerbone Orange Belt

It has all been discussed there. Check it out, there have been several things things that have given me Todd like strength.

10. Hammer Time

Hammer Time Brown Belt

judo training

11. sak

sak White Belt

I have a thick rope hanging from a tree...I climb it....I hang on it....I do pull ups on it

12. danielr

danielr Yellow Belt

work as a carpenter for a few years.

13. Calogero831

Calogero831 Purple Belt

hold two 5 or 10 lb plates extending your arms outward while pinching them together.
    grab a partner with a gi on and make a grip and drag him from side to side on the mat, its a old school drill before my time

14. green_machine

green_machine Orange Belt

Do pushups on your fingertips when you're watching tv and a commercial comes on

15. TSLx89

TSLx89 White Belt

I do pull-ups with a towel off a stairway railing (ghetto style.) I switch that off with putting an old gi top onto the railing and do pullups off the sleeves and collars.. After doing this for a few weeks, I notice my grip strength during training when grabbing onto other people's gi has become stronger.

16. Chris Beeby

Chris Beeby Brown Belt Professional Fighter

http://gripfaq.com/

Crush Strength: CoC grippers.
    Pinch Strength: Pony clamps, Olympic Plates, A piece of wood with a loading pin
    Wrist: Sledgehammer levering, Wrist roller.
    Supporting: Timed holds, pullups (towel, rope, etc.)

Make sure to work open hand as well, it will prevent strength imbalances, and give you more "hand wellness". For this, get a decently strong rubberband and carry it around, and rep out within comfort throughout the day.

The search function is also useful, but IMO there's not much information beyond "I do blah blah blah."

Richard Sorin at a Martial Arts conference.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/txwe1IEEsAQ&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/txwe1IEEsAQ&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/thZXBDojhKg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/thZXBDojhKg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/c0sCy-fQki8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/c0sCy-fQki8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

17. QingTian

QingTian Purple Belt

I don't know what they teach in BJJ but there is a lot of technique going into gripping. Actually with good grip technique you should be able to hold on in a ground situation, without specific training. In general, instead of squeezing for grip power, try to think more in the lines of hooking and twisting.

18. Knots619

Knots619 Orange Belt

i just use those grip excisers, i bought mine from walmart.

19. Nickynoneck

Nickynoneck Purple Belt

Lay face down on a mat get a guy to stand in front of you grab his gi pants around his ankles as he takes a walk forward and stops pull your self forward and then he takes another two steps forward and you pull do that the length of your mat .

get a partner and practise grip fighting and gripfighting only as time goes by it will help .

another exercise is get on your back and get someone to get over you grab his lepel with both hands on each side and have him crawl/monkey walk his way down the mat as fast as he can while you are holding on it helps both people out strengthening grip strength and strengthening the other guys arms/legs .

20. Nickynoneck

Nickynoneck Purple Belt

best training for it