Improving Footwork???

Soap

Wash Up
Reaction score
Need help improving my footwork for my boxing training. Any exercises I can do???

at my gym there are big tiles on the floor and there is a box made out of blue tape. you start on the bottom right side.. and you always want the line cutting you in half, so you have practice staying balanced when you're going up and down. when you're going side to side you want your lead foot to be touching the line. stay in your stance and with proper footwork, go up, left, down, and right. go around the box a few times. you can do it with punches too. just make sure to move first, then throw your punch(es)

and on the heavy bag, when it starts swinging around thats an opportunity to work on your footwork.

im glad you care about your footwork. it's very important, not only in moving, but in throwing punches.

OpethDrums said:
and on the heavy bag, when it starts swinging around thats an opportunity to work on your footwork.

just started doing this while training. very effective

Like the footwork in any sport, it comes with time and practise. Just keep training and it will come right along with everything else. Think of it like starting to learn how to walk again. It takes some time before you can run.

Use the jumprope, by far the best for footwork , not to mention how great it is for cardio , ive heard people say that it is the best cardio workout you can get.

have someone call out if you should move forward, backward, left or right and do that 2 rds, 3 mins.

Jumping rope really helps, as well as "line dancing" (where the instructor pretty much tells you what to do when you shadowbox). All this helps keep you on your toes, and I found my footwork got better from doing these.

Jumping rope really helps, I just said it again. I did it 3-4 times a week for 20 minutes straight, with the most I did being 30 minutes fairly continuously (might have stopped for a sip of a drink then back to it). Now when I spar I have the ability to move more than before.

id say some dancing like salsa. Jump rope is good for being light on your feet but not so much with actual foot work. Id say study some tkd foot work as i know for a fact my footwork is a million times better now than when i competed in boxing

practice moving around all the time. and what the other guys say is true, skipping rope is simply delightful.

Bas Rutten has a good drill for footwork on his dvds he calls "follow the leader". Stand behind your partner so you are both facing the same direction. Ensure that there is about 1 to 3 feet of distance between the two of you. The person in front begins to move about, front, back, angle, side to side, circle, just don't pull a 180. The person behind must maintain that 1-3 foot distance. Pick up the pace if it is too easy. You can also do a similar drill facing each other in your fighting stance. One person "leads" and advances, retreats, goes off at angles etc. The other person tries to maintain a set distance and remain in position in front of partner.

OpethDrums said:
at my gym there are big tiles on the floor and there is a box made out of blue tape. you start on the bottom right side.. and you always want the line cutting you in half, so you have practice staying balanced when you're going up and down. when you're going side to side you want your lead foot to be touching the line. stay in your stance and with proper footwork, go up, left, down, and right. go around the box a few times. you can do it with punches too. just make sure to move first, then throw your punch(es)

im glad you care about your footwork. it's very important, not only in moving, but in throwing punches.

Hey, where do you train in AZ?...I'm looking for a good gym in the Phoenix/West Phoenix area...

Do a google search for 'plyometrics' & 'ladder training'.

Ladder training is excellant for speed, co-ordination & acceleration.

Plyometrics are just awesome for improving everything.

yes, ladder training will make you very quick on your feet....i wish i stil had access to one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back