Improving Footwork???

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Soap, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Soap

Soap Wash Up

Need help improving my footwork for my boxing training. Any exercises I can do???

2. OpethDrums

OpethDrums Banned Banned

at my gym there are big tiles on the floor and there is a box made out of blue tape. you start on the bottom right side.. and you always want the line cutting you in half, so you have practice staying balanced when you're going up and down. when you're going side to side you want your lead foot to be touching the line. stay in your stance and with proper footwork, go up, left, down, and right. go around the box a few times. you can do it with punches too. just make sure to move first, then throw your punch(es)

and on the heavy bag, when it starts swinging around thats an opportunity to work on your footwork.

im glad you care about your footwork. it's very important, not only in moving, but in throwing punches.

3. boooya777

boooya777 Guest

just started doing this while training. very effective

4. AgentZ

AgentZ Blue Belt

Like the footwork in any sport, it comes with time and practise. Just keep training and it will come right along with everything else. Think of it like starting to learn how to walk again. It takes some time before you can run.

5. C.B_Top_Team

C.B_Top_Team Guest

Use the jumprope, by far the best for footwork , not to mention how great it is for cardio , ive heard people say that it is the best cardio workout you can get.

6. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

have someone call out if you should move forward, backward, left or right and do that 2 rds, 3 mins.

7. SKD

SKD Blue Belt

Jumping rope really helps, as well as "line dancing" (where the instructor pretty much tells you what to do when you shadowbox). All this helps keep you on your toes, and I found my footwork got better from doing these.

Jumping rope really helps, I just said it again. I did it 3-4 times a week for 20 minutes straight, with the most I did being 30 minutes fairly continuously (might have stopped for a sip of a drink then back to it). Now when I spar I have the ability to move more than before.

8. Brazilian HKD

Brazilian HKD Brown Belt

never tried myself but some dancing should help ;)

9. True2KungFu

True2KungFu King Of No Pants

id say some dancing like salsa. Jump rope is good for being light on your feet but not so much with actual foot work. Id say study some tkd foot work as i know for a fact my footwork is a million times better now than when i competed in boxing

10. Marvin Covar

Marvin Covar Amateur Fighter

practice moving around all the time. and what the other guys say is true, skipping rope is simply delightful.

11. MarlboroMan

MarlboroMan Yellow Belt

Practice DDR at a local arcade would be one alternataive.

12. Slikkster

Slikkster White Belt

Start C-walking.

13. Bad Apple

Bad Apple White Belt

Bas Rutten has a good drill for footwork on his dvds he calls "follow the leader". Stand behind your partner so you are both facing the same direction. Ensure that there is about 1 to 3 feet of distance between the two of you. The person in front begins to move about, front, back, angle, side to side, circle, just don't pull a 180. The person behind must maintain that 1-3 foot distance. Pick up the pace if it is too easy. You can also do a similar drill facing each other in your fighting stance. One person "leads" and advances, retreats, goes off at angles etc. The other person tries to maintain a set distance and remain in position in front of partner.

14. Rascuache

Rascuache Green Belt

Hey, where do you train in AZ?...I'm looking for a good gym in the Phoenix/West Phoenix area...

15. pistachio22

pistachio22 Yellow Belt

Do a google search for 'plyometrics' & 'ladder training'.

Ladder training is excellant for speed, co-ordination & acceleration.

Plyometrics are just awesome for improving everything.

16. True2KungFu

True2KungFu King Of No Pants

yes, ladder training will make you very quick on your feet....i wish i stil had access to one.