Improving Flexibility

Phill Core

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I just started training again (thai and BJJ) and I came to a cold realization trying to stack a guy in his guard, my flexibility is gone. My fiancee does Bikrham hot yoga and she is quite flexibile. Does anyone else do yoga or anything else to improve flexibility?

Sorry if this thread was started in the wrong place, wasn't sure where to strat it up.

Probably more of a conditionin', stand-up, or grapplin' topic, but I'll bite.

I usually do dynamic stretches (leg swings, elephants, etc) b4 trainin', and try to do some static stretches after a workout. That's helped a lot. I also do some tai chi/chi kung/yoga sometimes. Probably should do that latter more often, but flexibility's not been too much of a problem for me.

Thanks, I do dynamic stretching as well as part of my warm up, but it doesn't really seem to be doing all that much for me. Thanks for the link as well.

ive wanted to try yoga for about a year now but have been too lazy to seek out a class, let me know if you decide to go with it

I just started training again (thai and BJJ) and I came to a cold realization trying to stack a guy in his guard, my flexibility is gone. My fiancee does Bikrham hot yoga and she is quite flexibile. Does anyone else do yoga or anything else to improve flexibility?

Sorry if this thread was started in the wrong place, wasn't sure where to strat it up.

I've tried Bikhram yoga and I found that doing it gave my joints more spring. If you're interested in a non-yoga bases guide to stretching, get the book Stretch to Win by Ann Frederick. It's very well written and based on solid principles of human movement and anatomy. The stretching programs in that book could be adapted to suit all types of training, the book is that good.

get the book Stretch to Win by Ann Frederick. It's very well written and based on solid principles of human movement and anatomy. The stretching programs in that book could be adapted to suit all types of training, the book is that good.

I just took your advice there and ordered that book so I hope it's worth the money.

Dan john says for flexibility, do overhead squats.

Dan John also says

stretch what's tight, don't stretch what isn't

I do dynamic warm ups before workouts and static stretching after workouts or after a warm shower in the evenings. Quite a few coaches are not too fond of yoga, as it focuses a lot on flexibility in areas that are more responsibly for stability (e.g. lower back). You might want to read up on what Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson wrote on these issues. You could start here: http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1865219

Dan john says for flexibility, do overhead squats.

Overhead squats = godliness.

In general though, trying to generally lift with full ROM seems to maintain decent flexibility for me. IME specifically (and I know it's not the most interesting exercise) doing hypers stretches the bejesus out of my hamstrings. Don't need any more stretching on top of that.

I just took your advice there and ordered that book so I hope it's worth the money.

I'm sure you'll think so. I'm usually a fan of books published by Human Kinetics but this one was very good at distilling what you really need to know. The authors focus mostly on fascial stretching and set up their stretches according to kinetic chains described by Tom Meyers in his book Anatomy Trains, which is also a book that I think all the serious members of this forum should own. Here's his site http://www.anatomytrains.com/.

cool, thanks for the advice. BTW I did a bikrm class yesterday, and I actually got a fairly good work out from it, and my back (which I had some minor problems with a few years ago) feels better then it has in years, and that is only after one class. I do feel like I got a good stretch, and I think I will start going on a regular basis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back