Improving Cardio & Working Out Twice A Day

MolesyMMA

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I need to really improve my cardio as im competing in a 10k race on May 18, and was wondering is there any harm in working out twice a day and whats the best way to increase my cardio?

Im 19, 5'7, 155 LBs.

I am probably as fit as the average 19 year, ive been running & rowing 3 times a week for the last 2 weeks and have been holding up ok so im not really that unfit.

I have only been running about 4k and rowing 6-7 k as before the last to weeks i havent worked out for about 4 years. I thought the best approch would be to slowly build up the distance and intensity.

How should i go about increasing the level of cardio?

Should i row in the morning (about 5 am) then run after work (6pm)?

Or should i do a completly differnent workout? (i dont really have any access to equipment accpet a rowing machine.

I just really looking for some advice on how to best way to go about all of this.

Thanks is you can help

Well, IMHO, running will take more out of you, and if thats what you're trying to improve, you should do that first, in the morning just so your body isn't as stressed since you've just recuperated from sleep. I always love running in the morning, having some protein with lunch, and working out after school (3-ish.) Just my experiences. Hope I helped. :/

Thanks for your reply, i might try running in the morning.

I'd mix in some sprints, HIIT, stairs/hills, etc in with the LSD running.

Rowing is great, and hi intensity biking is good if you want to get a second daily workout that gives your ankles/knees a rest.

I am a huge fan of jumping rope, but I would be careful doing this if you are experiencing any problems with your ankels and legs

I'd mix in some sprints, HIIT, stairs/hills, etc in with the LSD running.

Rowing is great, and hi intensity biking is good if you want to get a second daily workout that gives your ankles/knees a rest.

I am a huge fan of jumping rope, but I would be careful doing this if you are experiencing any problems with your ankels and legs

I tried jumping rope a few months ago, it gave me REALLY bad shin splints.

The bike is a good idea, never thought of that. Might give it a shot

I get shin splints when I run. Not sure how to fix em' I just don't run anymore. because of that my conditioning has gone to shit. If I do a cardio kickboxing class or a conditioning class at Team Quest I don't get them. (probably less full on running)

But i do agree with the riding a bike. You can go alot farther on a bike than running and still get the proper cardio workout. I still need to try that out.

jadizm, you may need to run on grass at first to lessen the impact on your shins. Also be sure you don't go crazy on it, because your body won't be used to that sort of stress on your joints. You need to rest for a couple of days too afterwards, just for recovery time.

There's not enough sprinting or squatting going on in here.

Agreed.

I would also suggest that you body is in "Balance". Good quad to hamstring ratio, good flexibility, solid core, front of lower leg (anterior tibila) to prevent shin splits, etc.

I'm not a fan of long distance running as it can cause lots of over use injuries, hence my recommendation of keeping your body in "Balance".

Here's a nice program outline[/URL] that includes strength days (weight training, etc.) and cross training days (rowing in your case). Its an eight-week program that sounds perfect for you.

Here's a much more sport-specific program that will probably get you greater gains, but will also be harder for a true beginning runner despite being called a "beginner" 10k program. Equipment-wise, all you need here is a pair of running shoes, but honestly I think it assumes you've been running shorter distances already for a while. There are tempo, speedwork, strength, and endurance sessions here: all the stuff "real" runners do. It's a 12-week program though.

Whatever you do, listen to your body. When I first started to learn how to run distances properly, the hardest thing was letting my body get gradually accustomed to the pounding it'll get from running. The damage builds up slowly and sneakily, and if you're not careful, you'll be out with shin splints or achilles tendonitis in no time. Training twice a day is therefore a terrible idea. Don't do it.

It's also why I would recommend the first program over the second for you, since you mentioned that you only took up running recently.

The other thing I learned once I started lifting was how much doing things like squats and deadlifts help your body deal with the pounding that you'll get from running by building up your stabilizing muscles. Another reason to include strength days, and to take up program number one.

Finally, go get yourself a good pair of running shoes (not cross trainers, not basketball shoes; shoes made for running). Thank me later.

Good luck.

Not sure someone who's only a couple of weeks into running should do sprints yet. Need to condition his legs for running 10k first before worrying about speedwork.

Back