Improving Cardio & Working Out Twice A Day

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by MolesyMMA, Mar 28, 2008.

1. MolesyMMA

MolesyMMA Silver Belt

I need to really improve my cardio as im competing in a 10k race on May 18, and was wondering is there any harm in working out twice a day and whats the best way to increase my cardio?

Im 19, 5'7, 155 LBs.

I am probably as fit as the average 19 year, ive been running & rowing 3 times a week for the last 2 weeks and have been holding up ok so im not really that unfit.

I have only been running about 4k and rowing 6-7 k as before the last to weeks i havent worked out for about 4 years. I thought the best approch would be to slowly build up the distance and intensity.

How should i go about increasing the level of cardio?

Should i row in the morning (about 5 am) then run after work (6pm)?

Or should i do a completly differnent workout? (i dont really have any access to equipment accpet a rowing machine.

I just really looking for some advice on how to best way to go about all of this.

Thanks is you can help

2. grrthetree

grrthetree Green Belt

Well, IMHO, running will take more out of you, and if thats what you're trying to improve, you should do that first, in the morning just so your body isn't as stressed since you've just recuperated from sleep. I always love running in the morning, having some protein with lunch, and working out after school (3-ish.) Just my experiences. Hope I helped. :/

3. MolesyMMA

MolesyMMA Silver Belt

Thanks for your reply, i might try running in the morning.

4. Graver

Graver Blue Belt

I'd mix in some sprints, HIIT, stairs/hills, etc in with the LSD running.

Rowing is great, and hi intensity biking is good if you want to get a second daily workout that gives your ankles/knees a rest.

I am a huge fan of jumping rope, but I would be careful doing this if you are experiencing any problems with your ankels and legs

5. MolesyMMA

MolesyMMA Silver Belt

I tried jumping rope a few months ago, it gave me REALLY bad shin splints.

The bike is a good idea, never thought of that. Might give it a shot

6. jadizm

jadizm Self Serve Vanilla Pussy!!

I get shin splints when I run. Not sure how to fix em' I just don't run anymore. because of that my conditioning has gone to shit. If I do a cardio kickboxing class or a conditioning class at Team Quest I don't get them. (probably less full on running)

But i do agree with the riding a bike. You can go alot farther on a bike than running and still get the proper cardio workout. I still need to try that out.

7. grrthetree

grrthetree Green Belt

jadizm, you may need to run on grass at first to lessen the impact on your shins. Also be sure you don't go crazy on it, because your body won't be used to that sort of stress on your joints. You need to rest for a couple of days too afterwards, just for recovery time.

8. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

There's not enough sprinting or squatting going on in here.

9. DaMadMonk

DaMadMonk Blue Belt

Agreed.

I would also suggest that you body is in "Balance". Good quad to hamstring ratio, good flexibility, solid core, front of lower leg (anterior tibila) to prevent shin splits, etc.

I'm not a fan of long distance running as it can cause lots of over use injuries, hence my recommendation of keeping your body in "Balance".

10. FuriousFist

FuriousFist Yellow Belt

11. FuriousFist

FuriousFist Yellow Belt

Not sure someone who's only a couple of weeks into running should do sprints yet. Need to condition his legs for running 10k first before worrying about speedwork.

12. Newt

Newt Guest

Tabata's of anything.