Impressed by Nelson

+1 for Nelson vs Cormier

I like Nelson a lot, he represents for us big boys. But Cormier would destroy him bad. Nelson always has a punchers chance, but Cormier is improving his striking a lot quicker than Nelson and also has that grappler's devastating 1 punch KO power that could probably put even Nelson out if applied repeatedly to his noggin. As far as ground game, even Mir outwrestled him. Cormier could also take Nelson down, stay on top to do damage, and not get taken down, reversed, or subbed. Bad, bad, bad matchup for Nelson, like, the worst possible.

I honestly think that's the first time I've seen Roy throw a combination. If he gets his striking together like it appears he is doing, he's a dangerous dangerous man. Hard chin, big power, striking accuracy is a deadly combination especially combined with his BJJ credentials.

I honestly think that's the first time I've seen Roy throw a combination. If he gets his striking together like it appears he is doing, he's a dangerous dangerous man. Hard chin, big power, striking accuracy is a deadly combination especially combined with his BJJ credentials.

Yeah, Nelson seems to be improving.

I'm not going to push too hard with this point but the same logic that says he sucks as a coach says that some big fat disorginized slacker ought to make for a crappy fighter. But we've seen otherwise AND his team was not only even with Carwin's in the quarters and semis - they actually won the show! Plus do you remember at the beginning of the season when Dana and Carwin were all saying that these teams were the worst mismatch ever in the history of TUF? Carwins guys were all bigger, stronger and, on paper, better than Roy's. Then Roy goes on to make what everyone thinks to be bone headed match up and draws straws and lets his guys pick their own fights? According to everrybody's conventional wisdom, Nelson's guys weren't supposed to even win a fight.

Excellent point. Just because he didn't do things the way people expect a coach to do them doesn't mean that his way didn't work. The results speak for themselves.

I'm not going to push too hard with this point but the same logic that says he sucks as a coach says that some big fat disorginized slacker ought to make for a crappy fighter. But we've seen otherwise AND his team was not only even with Carwin's in the quarters and semis - they actually won the show! Plus do you remember at the beginning of the season when Dana and Carwin were all saying that these teams were the worst mismatch ever in the history of TUF? Carwins guys were all bigger, stronger and, on paper, better than Roy's. Then Roy goes on to make what everyone thinks to be bone headed match up and draws straws and lets his guys pick their own fights? According to everrybody's conventional wisdom, Nelson's guys weren't supposed to even win a fight.

Well, the guy who picked the straw lost his fight. If you have a semi-retarded fighter like Julian Lane in your team, you don't let him make important decisions.

Not even Nelson's picks for the team were any good. His three first picks had really bad performances in the first round and the only one who advanced was Hill, due to the judges being mentally challenged and/or blind.

I honestly don't see the victories of Nelson's team as his merits. He never seemed to give a fuck, had no training routine or anything. He was coaching like he trains, I guess. But that does not work for most people.

Also Colton won and he didn't seem to have any change in his game through the whole season. He's just really good at his incredibly hard to watch style. I did not see any influence of Nelson in that.

I like Nelson a lot, he represents for us big boys. But Cormier would destroy him bad. Nelson always has a punchers chance, but Cormier is improving his striking a lot quicker than Nelson and also has that grappler's devastating 1 punch KO power that could probably put even Nelson out if applied repeatedly to his noggin. As far as ground game, even Mir outwrestled him. Cormier could also take Nelson down, stay on top to do damage, and not get taken down, reversed, or subbed. Bad, bad, bad matchup for Nelson, like, the worst possible.

yea I agree, I don't want to see this. I think it would end very badly for ol Roy. I did very much like seeing him smashing Mitriones head btw. I have never like Mitrione since he was on tuf

Well, the guy who picked the straw lost his fight. If you have a semi-retarded fighter like Julian Lane in your team, you don't let him make important decisions.

Not even Nelson's picks for the team were any good. His three first picks had really bad performances in the first round and the only one who advanced was Hill, due to the judges being mentally challenged and/or blind.

I honestly don't see the victories of Nelson's team as his merits. He never seemed to give a fuck, had no training routine or anything. He was coaching like he trains, I guess. But that does not work for most people.

Also Colton won and he didn't seem to have any change in his game through the whole season. He's just really good at his incredibly hard to watch style. I did not see any influence of Nelson in that.

I said I wasn't going to push too hard with the point but I will offer my theory for Roy's conventional-wisdom-defying success. I think, as fighters go, Roy is relatively ego free. That is to say he just goes out and does his thing without thinking too much about himself. Most MMA fighters seem to be 180 degrees in the opposite direction, I mean you almost have to be an ego freak to want to pursue cage fighting as a career. For Roy's part, I think this makes him uncommonly relaxed and natural in the cage while other guys are tightly wound and high strung. It's not a stretch to imagine that some of this trait rubbed off on the guys on Roy's team - particularly when you consider the generally high strung nature of the TUF house. It is entirely possible to think that the highly structured team Carwin approach had his guys a bit tense and too wrapped up inside theirs heads, adversely affecting their game.

Having said this I want to point out that the biggest ego freak of the season, Julian Lane, was on Roy's team - and it showed in his performances, both inside and outside of the cage. But I will also point out that Julian was picked last of all fighters, meaning no one really selected the guy.

Anyway it's just a theory but worth considering nonetheless. Personally speaking I think it more valuable to try to understand success than to write it off or belittle it because it defies your expectations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back