I'm thinking of starting a juice fast

Doug

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So many questions...

like, how long for a duration should I go for? what benefits should I expect? how often should a person fast in a year or month?

people who have experience with this would be appreciated :D

Doug said:
So many questions...

like, how long for a duration should I go for? what benefits should I expect? how often should a person fast in a year or month?

people who have experience with this would be appreciated :D

if your doing it for asthetic reasons don't. if you need to cut for a fight, by all means do.

basicaly this will make your body extreamly catabolic to both muscle and fat, so unless your goal is to look like a twig, i wouldn't do this for asthetics.

yomon said:
if your doing it for asthetic reasons don't. if you need to cut for a fight, by all means do.

basicaly this will make your body extreamly catabolic to both muscle and fat, so unless your goal is to look like a twig, i wouldn't do this for asthetics.
I'm doing it for health reasons.

Lately I've become disenchanted with the health-industry and their lies and so I'm trying to go back to a 'traditional' way of moderating one's physical well-being. Apparently, fasting is supposed to be one of the best things out there for you :D

If by "juice fast" you mean buying a juicer, a good juicer, and investing in ORGANIC VEGETABLES and FRUITS then by all means you can do it for a week as a beginner.

If you plan on buying some juice at the store then hell no, waste of time.
Grapefruit fast, waste also.

If you aren't going to buy a juicer and organic goods, you are better served to buy a good green supplement and use that for 3 days to a week.

Packaged juices are a waste of time.

I've fasted for 12 days on the juice of whole:
carrot
cabbage
kale
parsley
lemon
apple
beet
orange
banana
celery
ginger
kiwi

I should note that I worked at an organic market.

Anything less than this is unacceptable and time better spent training.

Chad, why bother in the first place? I mean, what is the point of it?

Sounds like you'll tell your body immediately kick starvation mode in, hard and fast. Starvation mode = low energy, low metabolism, preferential loss of muscle over fat while you are in catabolic state. This is good?

Unless you drink a LOT of juice, you probably won't hit your daily caloric intake. And, if you do, you will be spiking sugar up & down all the time, even if you do it with organic juices or not.

It isn't a matter of caloric intake.

It's about flushing your body.
"Kick starvation mode" = FAST, which is the point.

Once your body is flushed of the processed protein, no xplode, big macs, 90% lean ground beef, JC Potter sausage, and processed sugar and starch, you will be able to fully utilize all the vitamins, minerals, and good food that you will be eating once you are completed with your juice FAST.

It's good to do.

Research man.

The problem is that this doesn't really 'flush' anything out of your body. Your body will respond better to quality solid foods. Your body will process the cr@p in your body in a few days whether you are eating quality foods or juice indescriminately.

The juice only diet will however set you back in your gains though. You're proposing inadequate nutrition, too few calories, poor protein consumption, and in most cases, high sugar intake (fruit juices). For an athlete looking for health and performance, this is going to be a big mistake.

If you aren't seeing the results you are looking for, this isn't going to get them for you.

Chad Hamilton said:

Once your body is flushed of the processed protein, no xplode, big macs, 90% lean ground beef, JC Potter sausage, and processed sugar and starch, you will be able to fully utilize all the vitamins, minerals, and good food that you will be eating once you are completed with your juice FAST.

It's good to do.

Research man.

Sounds like mysticism, man. But I'll do some research. I tend to be very sceptical of these sorts of things.

Tell me, since you did this, and I realize it is anecdotal -- did you feel a lot better and more healthy afterwards?

Chad Hamilton said:

It's good to do.

Research man.
so what were things like afterward? how did you feel generally? :D

KOU In3 said:
The problem is that this doesn't really 'flush' anything out of your body. Your body will respond better to quality solid foods. Your body will process the cr@p in your body in a few days whether you are eating quality foods or juice indescriminately.

The juice only diet will however set you back in your gains though. You're proposing inadequate nutrition, too few calories, poor protein consumption, and in most cases, high sugar intake (fruit juices). For an athlete looking for health and performance, this is going to be a big mistake.

If you aren't seeing the results you are looking for, this isn't going to get them for you.

seems like it's more of a mental aspect then physical to me. Something to give you a clean sate and work from there.

Look-
Fasting is somewhat religious, spiritual.
Jesus talks about it.
Yogi's are known for it...ever heard of the term "Buddha".

There are many different ways to do it.

I know what I know and on this subject it's more than you.

KOU-
Research the history on fasting and please enlighten us to why you won't "flush" anything out of your body with any of the ingredients I listed above.
It's not about taking down some fresh juice and going out and snatching your PB while on the 3rd day of a week long fast.
It's about recovery and preparation for your next training period.

Chad Hamilton said:
KOU-
Research the history on fasting and please enlighten us to why you won't "flush" anything out of your body with any of the ingredients I listed above.
It's not about taking down some fresh juice and going out and snatching your PB while on the 3rd day of a week long fast.
It's about recovery and preparation for your next training period.

You won't recover any better for your next training period though. Starving your body for calories and nutrients is no way to recover. Basicly you'd be looking at a two steps forward, one step back scenario (with fasting being the one step back).

You mention the religious aspect to fasting. Jesus and Buddha weren't athletes. I fail to see the relevance to athletic performance and modern health.

The thread starter didn't mention anything about athletic performance.
This is diet and supplement discussion.

Do you train 52 weeks a year?
No.
Fasting is the same concept. Your body needs a break to recover.

I see that you fail to understand the relevance.
It's lack of education on the subject.

Chad Hamilton said:
The thread starter didn't mention anything about athletic performance.
This is diet and supplement discussion.

Yes, the diet and supplement discussion section which is the subforum of the training section of an MMA board so I'm assuming he's talking about fasting as related to MMA training. In which case a juice fast serves no real purpose.

Chad Hamilton said:
Do you train 52 weeks a year?
No.

Actually typically yes, I do prefer to train 52 weeks a year. Days off help. But the only time I take entire weeks off are when forced to due to injury, etc.

Chad Hamilton said:
Fasting is the same concept. Your body needs a break to recover.

Apparently my body also needs a break from things like water or not getting hit by a crowbar too perhaps? Show me the medical documentation that shows a healthy person needs a break from solid food. What is the body recovering from during this break from eating? From the stress of digesting nutrients? Maybe I need a sleep fast to recover from the stress of sleeping every night?

This definately reaks of mysticism to me. Feel free to spend your time starving and calling it 'recovery'. Me, I'll spend my time eating and rebuilding.

KOU In3 said:
Yes, the diet and supplement discussion section which is the subforum of the training section of an MMA board so I'm assuming he's talking about fasting as related to MMA training. In which case a juice fast serves no real purpose.

Actually typically yes, I do prefer to train 52 weeks a year. Days off help. But the only time I take entire weeks off are when forced to due to injury, etc.

Apparently my body also needs a break from things like water or not getting hit by a crowbar too perhaps? Show me the medical documentation that shows a healthy person needs a break from solid food. What is the body recovering from during this break from eating? From the stress of digesting nutrients? Maybe I need a sleep fast to recover from the stress of sleeping every night?

This definately reaks of mysticism to me. Feel free to spend your time starving and calling it 'recovery'. Me, I'll spend my time eating and rebuilding.

Have you ever heard of fasting?
Assuming you have, you must know some about it.

Hold on...Im gonna read your posts again, be right back.

OK Im back.
I was wrong, you must not have ever heard of fasting.

Are you sure you're in the right thread?

Back