• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I'm thinking of going to the CIA (Culinary Institute of America)

Yes and no. Going to a big culinary school out of high school? I can see it, but the amount of knowledge gained from the best chefs in the world seems right for someone with a distinctive culinary style.

Anthony Bordains slam on culinary school is for those that might not be serious about working in the industry. If you watch Top Chef or any of those programs, the majority are classically trained chefs. Not to mention that if someone didn't go to culinary school they bring it up themselves "I know I didn't go to culinary school but.."

Anthony Bourdain actually went to CIA.

Anthony Bourdain actually went to CIA.

Yeah I know but most of the time you're on a chef forum or anywhere talking about culinary school someone pulls a Tony quote out of their ass without realizing he said unless you're going to the best and it's not worth it to just throw yourself into just because you like to cook.

^^ Didn't read thread.

I did read the thread, and you asked for advice about getting into student loan debt for culinary school. You really need to do more research and not based on Top Chef, but sounds like your minds made up though. Enjoy your student loans.

Last edited:
If your dishes pack the same punch as how your passion comes across as, it sounds to me like whatever culinary path you decide on taking you'll do just fine.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sausage plate sounds f'n awesome btw. Do you have a name for it?

Last edited:
Do it if you want to spend a boat load of money and want to learn about cooking.
If you're interested in becoming a chef get a job in a kitchen and work your way up. I've worked in many kitchens and i have friends that went to CIA. We made the same $$. So the CIA degree isn't going to help you make money. Long ago I decided that i hate restaurant work and found a different path. To make money as a chef you need to pretty much dedicate your entire life to the kitchen. We're talking 80hr work weeks, etc...

If your dishes pack the same punch as how your passion comes across as, it sounds to me like whatever culinary path you decide on taking you'll do just fine.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sausage plate sounds f'n awesome btw. Do you have a name for it?

Not yet. I got the idea when I seared some queso blanco and loved the shape and texture of it and started playing from there. That's generally how I create dishes.

In the food truck thread I started there's a (loose recipe. I don't give out exact recipes) for my Indian nachos with fried Naan chips, chicken curry, fried hummus, and a tahini as a good food truck staple.

I used to have to make fifty pounds of fresh mozzarella a day and love frying cheese. Smoked prosciutto wrapped fried fresh mozzarella slices were a discovery of mine.

Pancetta works extremely well. I want to do a pancetta, smoked prosciutto, and capicola trio on a menu one day.

I did read the thread, and you asked for advice about getting into student loan debt for culinary school. You really need to do more research and not based on Top Chef, but sounds like your minds made up though. Enjoy your student loans.

Not based on top chef?

Culinary school.
almost 10 years experience.
international award winning.

I only made light of your post because someone else said the exact same thing.

Not based on top chef?

Culinary school.
almost 10 years experience.
international award winning.

I only made light of your post because someone else said the exact same thing.

I brought up Top Chef, in reference to your comment
If you watch Top Chef or any of those programs, the majority are classically trained chefs. Not to mention that if someone didn't go to culinary school they bring it up themselves "I know I didn't go to culinary school but.."

TV shows aren't a good representation of the industry and are you trying to look good on TV or cook and open a restaurant?

I'm having hard time understanding your dismissive attitude towards negative advice concerning culinary schools; if you have 10 years in the industry, you know that having a degree isn't required and skill as a cook and networking are the critical aspects. All the required skills can obtained on the job without going into thousands if not hundred of thousands in debt.

Nothing you learn at CIA can not be learned by apprenticing under a master chef and taking local cooking classes. If you had the money, I'd say go for it, but since you're taking out student loans, really concentrate on what you're are going to learn and the relevance and don't be fooled by fancy buildings and foreign internships.

Anyways, good luck in your culinary career.

Back