I'm thinking about buying a used vehicle. Have a few questions.

Hyperglide

Tell Apathy
@Gold
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've done this. Anyone know a good place to get a Used Car Vehicle History report? I have the VIN. I went to Carfax is expensive and I just want a brief run down. I found out the vehicle I looked up has 9 reports. I know 1 at least is for a safety, $1500 bucks for all the brakes. Probably a couple for Oil Changes.

Vehicle is a 2009 Ford Escape XLT, Standard with only 32k on it.

The Dealership I work for could probably get one but I wanted to research this weekend and I won't be in to work until Monday.

Also anyone know a good place to get a reliable insurance quote? I've got a couple but they range pretty highly.

Thanks Sherdog.

I got burned twice with used cars.

Its a coin toss imo

definitely do extensive research before pulling the trigger. i would even suggest getting a black light and checking for cum stains. my car looks like a jackson pollock painting inside under a black light. trust me on this, you don't want to be riding around the next 5-10 years in some guy's jizz.

I notice you're in Ontario. Have fun with the rust issue you'll have with an escape (fords in general). just take a look at almost any of them on the roads here. And if it's not visible - just take a look at the subframe.

LOTS of better choices than an escape for Ontario [winter] roads.

try kijiji. carproof for VIN.
don't complain about the price if you want that secure feeling about the car you're buying.

Just pay for the carfax, it would suck if you buy it, then go to sell it someday and a potential buyer pulls a carfax and finds out the airbag has been deployed in the past.

It's been a while since I've done this. Anyone know a good place to get a Used Car Vehicle History report? I have the VIN. I went to Carfax is expensive and I just want a brief run down. I found out the vehicle I looked up has 9 reports. I know 1 at least is for a safety, $1500 bucks for all the brakes. Probably a couple for Oil Changes.

The Dealership I work for could probably get one but I wanted to research this weekend and I won't be in to work until Monday.

Also anyone know a good place to get a reliable insurance quote? I've got a couple but they range pretty highly.

Thanks Sherdog.

Belair is good, when you put your quote, put that you have the winter tires and alarm and all that and it will lower your rate considerably. My insurance with State farm was 280, now its 120 with Belair

Is it just Saskatchewan that has the mandatory provincial insurance?

Is it just Saskatchewan that has the mandatory provincial insurance?

Public auto insurance is a government owned and operated system of automobile insurance operated in the Canadian provinces of British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Quebec. According to studies by the Consumers' Association of Canada, rates charged for auto insurance in these four provinces are lower than in provinces that use a private auto insurance system. A more recent study completed by the Fraser Institute released in 2011 concluded that the highest auto insurance rates in Canada were paid in Ontario, British Columbia, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba, of which three are operating with public insurance coverage

Ontario is by far and away the worst province for car/motorcycle insurance.

I teacher once told me the best car to bang a chick in is the Ford Escape.

I notice you're in Ontario. Have fun with the rust issue you'll have with an escape (fords in general). just take a look at almost any of them on the roads here. And if it's not visible - just take a look at the subframe.

LOTS of better choices than an escape for Ontario [winter] roads.

try kijiji. carproof for VIN.
don't complain about the price if you want that secure feeling about the car you're buying.

I detailed it. It's mint condition. There's not even a scratch on it. It only has 32km's on it I am going to use paint protection and get it undercoated. Body issues aren't going to be a problem with it. I've already thoroughly inspected it.

definitely do extensive research before pulling the trigger. i would even suggest getting a black light and checking for cum stains. my car looks like a jackson pollock painting inside under a black light. trust me on this, you don't want to be riding around the next 5-10 years in some guy's jizz.

lol the interior was practically mint, but good idea. Maybe I'll do a safety shampoo of the upholstery just to give me peace of mind.

I teacher once told me the best car to bang a chick in is the Ford Escape.

Not really a pussy magnet but considering I'm driving a 03 Neon my options are limited.

Edit: Reading is fundamental

I'm also curious why you wouldn't just use connections via work if you are employed by a dealership.

In the meantime..try this

They are knocking $3000 off the asking price and I'm going to probably get a bunch of free shit with it. Plus they told me what had to be fixed to get it certified and I can probably get a carfax from them too I just wanted to check today or tomorrow while I have some time.

The only thing that worries me is they said it was sitting around for a year. Must've been in a garage though cause I can clearly tell it wasn't exposed to the elements. The reason the previous owners got rid of it was because they were doing a 2 for 1 trade in.

Belair is good, when you put your quote, put that you have the winter tires and alarm and all that and it will lower your rate considerably. My insurance with State farm was 280, now its 120 with Belair

I used Belair, and TD. I'm currently with TD. I'm getting approx a $160 quote. I could probably get that down a bit if I slapped Winters on it. Have to call them for a better quote though. Belair is awesome though I agree. They gave me one for $138. Both are monthly.

Taken with my potato phone

10915260_10152497809541924_339548863773204484_n.jpg

10888579_10152497809346924_2473750119171694945_n.jpg

1544930_10152497809246924_4170989865254238123_n.jpg

10406402_10152497810156924_616125573945777322_n.jpg

10922792_10152497810036924_2250820895496394498_n.jpg

10929011_10152497809866924_585559168146024789_n.jpg

Last edited:
I detailed it. It's mint condition. There's not even a scratch on it. It only has 32km's on it I am going to use paint protection and get it undercoated. Body issues aren't going to be a problem with it. I've already thoroughly inspected it.

LOL - good luck to you then.
Make sure to check the recall notices, if there are any.
Best thing to do when you get a new-to-you car is get any/all recalls addressed.

LOL - good luck to you then.
Make sure to check the recall notices, if there are any.
Best thing to do when you get a new-to-you car is get any/all recalls addressed.

There was only 1 recall for that year of Escape I was already going to confirm that with the Sales Manager on Monday too. I haven't committed to anything yet I just ran some numbers. Probably will have my mechanic bud give it another once over (120 point inspection), just to be prudent.

Corrosion and erosion happens and I've seen vehicles sell there in a LOT worse condition that are only a year old. It's pretty obvious the previous owners babied this thing. The Ranger they traded in looks good too. I'm more worried about the Engine and Drivetrain.

I appreciate all your input guys :D

There was only 1 recall for that year of Escape I was already going to confirm that with the Sales Manager on Monday too. I haven't committed to anything yet I just ran some numbers. Probably will have my mechanic bud give it another once over (120 point inspection), just to be prudent.

Corrosion and erosion happens and I've seen vehicles sell there in a LOT worse condition that are only a year old. It's pretty obvious the previous owners babied this thing. The Ranger they traded in looks good too. I'm more worried about the Engine and Drivetrain.

I appreciate all your input guys :D

Well, it seems that you've done your research, which is way more then most people ever do when making a bigger purchase.
You should be fine brah, you know what you're getting yourself into.

I would add to just see what else is out there for your price point and compare - even if you're set on the escape - never hurts to look. You could find a hidden gem when looking privately.

Well, it seems that you've done your research, which is way more then most people ever do when making a bigger purchase.
You should be fine brah, you know what you're getting yourself into.

I would add to just see what else is out there for your price point and compare - even if you're set on the escape - never hurts to look. You could find a hidden gem when looking privately.

That's one of the little voices in my head that stopped me from impulsively committing to it when I inquired about it on Thursday. They could go out and maybe find something a little better at an auction and it might cost a bit more (safety, emissions). For the shape it's in for $10k (before surcharges) seems like a pretty good deal.

I got an '02 vehicle with 221,000 miles on it a year ago. I went back a few times. I asked questions and even prayed about it. I did my best to know what I was getting and it's been a really good vehicle for me.

I'd be weary of a 6 year old vehicle with only 30k miles on it, to be honest.

Buy a Chevy or a Dodge cant go wrong.

I've owned two Dodge vehicles over the years. Terrible pieces of shit.

I drive a 1997 Ford Explorer now with over 250,000 miles and haven't had any major issues with it.

Beer.....bro....a Ford dude? first time I've been disappointed in one of you posts. for shame sir boooo booo you....recommending a ford.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back