"Im surprised he took that fight." - Sean Omalley

I just thought it was amusing when he stumbled saying all of that.

A lot of his shtick and narcisssm has reached obnoxious levels

I wouldnt mind Omalley ve Jake Paul in MMA right now. It fits

Csn we possibly get past my grammar?
A 70lb weigh in difference just to see Jake Paul in a cage?
I'm good, I'm still wondering why is Mike going through with it.

The rivalry, not the fight.

You don't think someone getting KTFO! affects a rivalry? Don't you think fighters keep scores? Don't you think the confidence one gains from beating someone makes a very real difference? Or the confidence one losses from getting beat.

Bruh, the mere act of not taking a fight or saying someone could/should/would not take a fight does not immediately imply ducking.

And for this situation specifically of O'Malley commenting on Poirier, Poirier is clearly in a different stage of his career than O'Malley. His comment was directed at Poirier within the context of Poirier's career and also within the context that Poirier wasn't fighting anybody unless it was a big/established name for the longest time.

But these negative minded SDers are always looking for ways to possibly shit on a fighter, so I'm not surprised this thread was made.
Fighters are ALWAYS looking for the best option to fight. But then sports fans will call them ducks, Volkanovski takes a fight where he's outmatched in and undertrained and everyone shits on him for that decision. Moral of the story is, we're a bunch of assholes that'll never be satisfied.

Sean isn't ducking anyone imo. A good example of current ducking would be Jon Jones. Besides, Sean doesn't duck, he cucks.

During his podcast he talked about how he was impressed by Dustin Poirier's performance vs Saint-Denis who he described as extremely dangerous

But in the same breath he said he was shocked Dustin took the fight.

Was it innocuous or did he just admit he himself will
duck when necessary?

He did stumble a little but realized he was past the point of no return lol

What Sean said makes a lot of sense. Dustin was higher ranked, and is a much more well-known household name, and is a legacy fighter at this point. He can get much bigger fights.

BSD could have improved the french market for the UFC. So far they only had known black guys which were immigrants.

Islam - wasn't available
Gaethje - booked vs Max
Oliveira - booked vs Tsarukyan
Tsarukyan "
Gamrot - RDA - same card in case if anyone gets injured
Dariush 0:2 and no fan base
Chandler already lost to Poirier

So they really had not a good option for Poirier, they would've prefered a fight that brings in more money, too

Except he is now fighting the guy. Dude made a business decision by taking the most lucrative fight in the division first and then the tougher fights. It's a career for them to make money, not a noble quest to please all the fans while sacrificing their health and earning potential.

If he fought Merab as his first defense there would be people saying he was ducking Chito. Is normal.

Reactions: JKS
I believe I used it correctly buddeh

Avoiding an intimidating opponent is ducking in the truest sense od the word imho
Even by your own definition, your conclusion is wrong. If Dustin turned down (not "avoided"...there's a difference) the BSD fight, it wouldn't have been because it was an "intimidating opponent." It would have been because it makes very little sense career-wise for the #3 LW to fight someone ranked #12. Which is why Dustin said he wasn't initially interested in the fight.

During his podcast he talked about how he was impressed by Dustin Poirier's performance vs Saint-Denis who he described as extremely dangerous

But in the same breath he said he was shocked Dustin took the fight.

Was it innocuous or did he just admit he himself will
duck when necessary?

He did stumble a little but realized he was past the point of no return lol
get out the house for a few hours. Jesus Christ.

He just wants the money and take little damage as possible
after the Yan fight he basically admitted this.
Can't blame him either..

BSD had just gotten into the top 15 and skipped almost the entire top 10 to get a fight with number 3. That's very strange matchmaking and shows you how high the UFC was on him. Poirier turning it down wouldn't have been the same as the champion ducking the number one contender.

Based on earlier interviews, I've always assumed that O'Malley would unapologetically take the easiest fights that he could get for the money.
While I'm not a fan of that approach when it comes to entertainment, it seems like the smartest move that he can make from a business standpoint.

If he can style on his opponents and make more highlights, it'll sell to the younger fans who didn't grow up in stricter training environments.

What Sean said makes a lot of sense. Dustin was higher ranked, and is a much more well-known household name, and is a legacy fighter at this point. He can get much bigger fights.
And yet Dustin still took the fight beat his ass and looked 10 times better for doing it

Based on earlier interviews, I've always assumed that O'Malley would unapologetically take the easiest fights that he could get for the money.
While I'm not a fan of that approach when it comes to entertainment, it seems like the smartest move that he can make from a business standpoint.

If he can style on his opponents and make more highlights, it'll sell to the younger fans who didn't grow up in stricter training environments.
Again if youte now champ you look incredibly bad for ducking anyone who has legit intentions towards your belt

Again if youte now champ you look incredibly bad for ducking anyone who has legit intentions towards your belt
I don't know, man; bad to who?
I'd like to believe that it's the hardcore fans that fuel growth in the sport; but I think that it's a fanciful idea at best.
And considering how open he is about his "alternative" lifestyle, I doubt that he really cares how he looks to us.

I don't know, man; bad to who?
I'd like to believe that it's the hardcore fans that fuel growth in the sport; but I think that it's a fanciful idea at best.
And considering how open he is about his "alternative" lifestyle, I doubt that he really cares how he looks to us.
Look at how much better Dustin looked ' taking this' last fight. Much more respect

You don't think someone getting KTFO! affects a rivalry? Don't you think fighters keep scores? Don't you think the confidence one gains from beating someone makes a very real difference? Or the confidence one losses from getting beat.

No they are emotionless robot peasants that fight for our amusement. They're not allowed feelings, all they get is peanuts and spilled beer from the bleachers.

Back