I'm Studying For The CPA Exam. Need Advice

As someone who passed CFA level I and II but chronically fails level III my advice is :

1) man up. You are up mostly against disciplined dudes that don't have this existential crying baby attitude and that want to succeed no matter what. You are unsure about yourself ? Go make flowers on coffee at Starbucks.

So, now that you know that you want it and are no crying baby, here is what you need to do to get it :

2) sketch yourself an informed and realistic time plan that will give you enough room to start doing MOCK EXAMS as early as possible. Reassess where you stand as per your timeplan WEEKLY and take corrective measures.

Basically it all ocmes down to discipline. Good luck !

I vote for the Starbucks option. Sounds less stressful and with more attractive coworkers.

If you're not hateful, you're not studying hard enough. Keep up the good work and grab a beer every once in a while.

Cpa is a great career path if you have the temperament for it. This is for your financial well being and to provide for your family. There's honor in that. Let that be your motivation.

Do you even have to concern yourself with a family with a CPA degree? [sarcasm]

I'm currently bombing law school. I had a 3.0 coming into 4th term, but I'm on an accelerated track now and took 5 classes this summer. I have finals this week. I have done well on one, bombed one but probably passed with a C, and bombed one and probably failed teh class. My GPA is going in the garbage, and my 50% scholarship is in jeopardy. It's a combination of things, part of it being the time I waste here lo. But I have quit going to the gym, after 15 years of doing that regularly, and I am going through changes in family situation. I also have other concerns about being able to sit for the bar when I'm finished with law school. This has been one of the worst weeks of my life.. And it will screw up my track, and make me graduate 3-6 months later than I was supposed to. So I say this to you, eat healthy, exercise more, and stay focused. Don;t let outside things bother you, because it can cloud your brain. My brain has been clouded and kind of ADDey, and I'm not sure why. You will be fine, and so will I, and if not? Life is short and we'll be dead soon enough anyway.

That's a bummer man. All I can say is hang in there. I didn't do too well in law school either, but I've been a lawyer for 5 years now and all the B- and C+'s that I got in law school are now a distant memory. Also, it's important to keep in mind that how you do in law school has no bearing (in my opinion anyway) on how good of a lawyer you will be. I had probably a 2.6 GPA, but I'm a good lawyer, because 99% of successful practice revolves around client management, court room advocacy, negotiation skills, and having a good rapport with other members of the bar. None of those skills or knowledge are what's taught in law school. In law school you just learn "the law" without any skills or knowledge on how to properly apply it. So long as you've got a decent enough grasp on some of the important fundamentals, then you'll be fine so long as you can master the skills I mentioned above.

If you're not hateful, you're not studying hard enough. Keep up the good work and grab a beer every once in a while.

I guess what I'm wondering is how does your average person think when they are studying? Are they hating on themselves and thinking they are an idiot or are they not negative?

This exam is fairly extensive. So while I'm trying to study all the material, my inner voice is telling me that I'm an idiot and that I don't understand the material. I achieved a 4.00 GPA in school, so I had to have at least been doing something right. However, as the day goes on, it makes me angry and bitter towards your "average" person, who I perceive as not having to fight that battle within themselves. So, studying essentially makes me hate myself and then hate others due to envy.

Anyways, I have told my therapist this, but she says that I must be doing something right to achieve good grades. However, I would really like to break this negative cycle of thoughts towards myself and others. What approaches can I use while studying to alleviate negative thoughts?

I don't understand, why are you angry with the average person? What battle are they not fighting that you are?

All I can tell you is please don't forget to subtract your dividends from accounts receivable.

I guess what I'm wondering is how does your average person think when they are studying? Are they hating on themselves and thinking they are an idiot or are they not negative?

Doubtful. And that's probably why you have a 4.0 and they don't.

Best background you can have. BED is cake, auditing isn't bad nor is tax. Financial was a struggle, a lot of memorization.

It's worth the most terrible 18 months in your life. Makes the bar look like a joke. 15 years later I look back and am thankful.. And rich

I don't understand, why are you angry with the average person? What battle are they not fighting that you are?

I guess my perception is the average person doesn't mentally beat themselves up and/or copes better(makes excuses) with their negative traits.

I guess my perception is the average person doesn't mentally beat themselves up and/or copes better(makes excuses) with their negative traits.
You're not being efficient with your energy.

You're not being efficient with your energy.

That's honestly an astute way to put it. I waste a lot of life brooding on shit that has no particular relevance and just makes me feel worse about myself and others.

Back