I'm Studying For The CPA Exam. Need Advice

MikeHolmes

Green Belt
Reaction score
This exam is fairly extensive. So while I'm trying to study all the material, my inner voice is telling me that I'm an idiot and that I don't understand the material. I achieved a 4.00 GPA in school, so I had to have at least been doing something right. However, as the day goes on, it makes me angry and bitter towards your "average" person, who I perceive as not having to fight that battle within themselves. So, studying essentially makes me hate myself and then hate others due to envy.

Anyways, I have told my therapist this, but she says that I must be doing something right to achieve good grades. However, I would really like to break this negative cycle of thoughts towards myself and others. What approaches can I use while studying to alleviate negative thoughts?

My advice would be to choose a career path that's more exciting. Personally I'd lose it if i was stuck in an office all day doing math

Edit: you might already be losing it. Time for a change

My advice would be to choose a career path that's more exciting. Personally I'd lose it if i was stuck in an office all day doing math

Edit: you might already be losing it. Time for a change

I'm old. Too late to turn back. If I were younger, I probably would have chose a more exciting career path.

I'm old. Too late to turn back. If I were younger, I probably would have chose a more exciting career path.
Well at least you're successful. No one can take that from you. You'll certainly make decent money

I was actually on pace to be in your shoes. I had a 4.0 in a very good accounting school, was a year away from BA and was gonna pursue CPA. My advice is enjoy it, don't stress it...obviously you know the material.

As someone who passed CFA level I and II but chronically fails level III my advice is :

1) man up. You are up mostly against disciplined dudes that don't have this existential crying baby attitude and that want to succeed no matter what. You are unsure about yourself ? Go make flowers on coffee at Starbucks.

So, now that you know that you want it and are no crying baby, here is what you need to do to get it :

2) sketch yourself an informed and realistic time plan that will give you enough room to start doing MOCK EXAMS as early as possible. Reassess where you stand as per your timeplan WEEKLY and take corrective measures.

Basically it all ocmes down to discipline. Good luck !

Cpa is a great career path if you have the temperament for it. This is for your financial well being and to provide for your family. There's honor in that. Let that be your motivation.

I'm currently bombing law school. I had a 3.0 coming into 4th term, but I'm on an accelerated track now and took 5 classes this summer. I have finals this week. I have done well on one, bombed one but probably passed with a C, and bombed one and probably failed teh class. My GPA is going in the garbage, and my 50% scholarship is in jeopardy. It's a combination of things, part of it being the time I waste here lo. But I have quit going to the gym, after 15 years of doing that regularly, and I am going through changes in family situation. I also have other concerns about being able to sit for the bar when I'm finished with law school. This has been one of the worst weeks of my life.. And it will screw up my track, and make me graduate 3-6 months later than I was supposed to. So I say this to you, eat healthy, exercise more, and stay focused. Don;t let outside things bother you, because it can cloud your brain. My brain has been clouded and kind of ADDey, and I'm not sure why. You will be fine, and so will I, and if not? Life is short and we'll be dead soon enough anyway.

You should give up and pursue your dancing dreams

Have a set gameplan man. Make sure to follow it and keep away from all the distractions out there, especially social media, lock yourself for a couple of weeks if you have to.

Judging from your GPA you seem smart enough to pass, the rest is all about prepwork and all that shit.

I feel that in times like these it's best to take a step back and just realize the world we live in where so many have so little ...:: and that you have been given a gift and earned a right that will enable you to be set for life.

I don't know your life but if possible after test try and go on a months long vacation.

Do nothing for a little while

I'm currently bombing law school. I had a 3.0 coming into 4th term, but I'm on an accelerated track now and took 5 classes this summer. I have finals this week. I have done well on one, bombed one but probably passed with a C, and bombed one and probably failed teh class. My GPA is going in the garbage, and my 50% scholarship is in jeopardy. It's a combination of things, part of it being the time I waste here lo. But I have quit going to the gym, after 15 years of doing that regularly, and I am going through changes in family situation. I also have other concerns about being able to sit for the bar when I'm finished with law school. This has been one of the worst weeks of my life.. And it will screw up my track, and make me graduate 3-6 months later than I was supposed to. So I say this to you, eat healthy, exercise more, and stay focused. Don;t let outside things bother you, because it can cloud your brain. My brain has been clouded and kind of ADDey, and I'm not sure why. You will be fine, and so will I, and if not? Life is short and we'll be dead soon enough anyway.

Just think.....you're in law school. I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time, but I'd bet you're mentally tough enough to suffer and come back better than ever.

Thanks for taking the time to give me advice. It helped.

This exam is fairly extensive. So while I'm trying to study all the material, my inner voice is telling me that I'm an idiot and that I don't understand the material. I achieved a 4.00 GPA in school, so I had to have at least been doing something right. However, as the day goes on, it makes me angry and bitter towards your "average" person, who I perceive as not having to fight that battle within themselves. So, studying essentially makes me hate myself and then hate others due to envy.

Anyways, I have told my therapist this, but she says that I must be doing something right to achieve good grades. However, I would really like to break this negative cycle of thoughts towards myself and others. What approaches can I use while studying to alleviate negative thoughts?

just goto your happy place and chill. it'll be alright:

giphy.gif

happy-gilmore-dream-o.gif

Good advice by KBE6EKCTAH_CCP & mushishi.

I'm actually studying for the exam myself. Taking Audit in a month. What study program/materials are you using Mike?

Also I would suggest checking out the Another71 forums. It's all people taking the exam so you'll get a better idea of what's covered in the exam and you'll get a ton of encouragement from other candidates.

My advice is keep plugging away. It's about working problems and being consistent in your studying.

Props to KBE6EKCTAH_CCP as well. I've heard the CFA is hard as fuck. Passing the 1st two exams is no small feat.

Nice to see another person in my shoes. I just graduated this spring and I have a fall job offer with one of the firms in downtown LA. I just recently purchased my Becker CPA review and I am planning to pass all 4 sections before the new changes come next year. Good luck to you brotha. I hope we can pass this together.

Good advice by KBE6EKCTAH_CCP & mushishi.

I'm actually studying for the exam myself. Taking Audit in a month. What study program/materials are you using Mike?

Also I would suggest checking out the Another71 forums. It's all people taking the exam so you'll get a better idea of what's covered in the exam and you'll get a ton of encouragement from other candidates.

My advice is keep plugging away. It's about working problems and being consistent in your studying.

Props to KBE6EKCTAH_CCP as well. I've heard the CFA is hard as fuck. Passing the 1st two exams is no small feat.

Thanks for the kind words and advice. I'm using Gleim to study.

Nice to see another person in my shoes. I just graduated this spring and I have a fall job offer with one of the firms in downtown LA. I just recently purchased my Becker CPA review and I am planning to pass all 4 sections before the new changes come next year. Good luck to you brotha. I hope we can pass this together.

Good luck to you, as well. I have more confidence in strangers than I do myself. You'll be fine

Back