Im starting to think that there is 0 innovation in the UFC

Not sure about innovation. Their product is solid but they could mix it up a bit. I see no problem with tournament format split over several events at one round per event. Especially given the current constant changing of hands of belts at current.
Its never going to happen. Modern day tourney is going to be like the strikeforce hw gp at best,which was kind of a disaster.

With Usada,and injuries due to fighters not being allowed to use PED's to heal faster,contracts,etc...the days of tournaments is over.

plus not having the two fights in one night at the end is the payoff for tournaments,and that simply wont be allowed.

Monopole:
Monopole-TowerB1.jpg
Dammit lettuce, would you stop doing it wrong please?

This is how you derail a thread...
DEXATI20160805124507_zpsuy6xb0fa.png

Yes it was travis fulton against some karate dude. I think its safe to say that karate guy did not belong in any mma fight against anyone.
Cheers, it really highlighted to me the need for weight classes.

There was a 32lbs weight difference in this fight.

But what made it worse was it was the little guys first fight...

Cheers, it really highlighted to me the need for weight classes.

There was a 32lbs weight difference in this fight.

its more than that. That guy was not a real fighter. No way youd see that guy fight for a legit promotion. He makes Travis Fulton look like GSP.

Its never going to happen. Modern day tourney is going to be like the strikeforce hw gp at best,which was kind of a disaster.

With Usada,and injuries due to fighters not being allowed to use PED's to heal faster,contracts,etc...the days of tournaments is over.
I enjoyed the Bellator version of the tourney and still miss it.

Say what you will about Bjorn Rebney but his continuance of the tourneys during his tenure got me watching every Friday. Have barely watched since they did away with it in the Coker era. Nothing sets Bellator apart now, it's just another minor league to the UFC and seen as inferior, instead of continuing something that set them very much apart.

I enjoyed the Bellator version of the tourney and still miss it.

Say what you will about Bjorn Rebney but his continuance of the tourneys during his tenure got me watching every Friday. Have barely watched since they did away with it in the Coker era. Nothing sets Bellator apart now, it's just another minor league to the UFC and seen as inferior, instead of continuing something that set them very much apart.

To be honest,i didnt see bellator's version of tourneys. I just think at the high level in the UFC,especially with USADA testing,these things are gonna fall apart pretty quickly.

its more than that. That guy was not a real fighter. No way youd see that guy fight for a legit promotion. He makes Travis Fulton look like GSP.
Aye, he was just some random taekwondo teacher, apparently he made a full recovery.

To be honest,i didnt see bellator's version of tourneys. I just think at the high level in the UFC,especially with USADA testing,these things are gonna fall apart pretty quickly.
They weren't same night, they'd do one round of fights per month per weight class. It helped legitimize the title contenders and familiarize the fans Wittgenstein fighters since they would rumble once a month. Much more like a season of play in ball sports.

They weren't same night, they'd do one round of fights per month per weight class. It helped legitimize the title contenders and familiarize the fans Wittgenstein fighters since they would rumble once a month. Much more like a season of play in ball sports.

I think its something helpful to do in a smaller promotion when you dont know the fighters that well,it helps to establish them.

I think its something helpful to do in a smaller promotion when you dont know the fighters that well,it helps to establish them.
Definitely. And establishes a clear title contender (winner of tourney gets title shot) solidifying them with 3 wins in a row prior to title shot, and takes out most discussion of a easy pathway to the title per the will of the matchmakers since anyone can win and only minor fuckery can go on within a predetermined bracket system.

Definitely. And establishes a clear title contender (winner of tourney gets title shot) solidifying them with 3 wins in a row prior to title shot, and takes out most discussion of a easy pathway to the title per the will of the matchmakers since anyone can win and only minor fuckery can go on within a predetermined bracket system.

Tournament its time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back