I'm sorry, but Varner vs Lauzon is easily FOTY and it's not even close

Who are you lol? 3.6k post and never saw you before, did you change your name?

And yeah, easily FOTY for me. At least, UFC-bound. And WAR ROGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Name changes are forbidden.

And yes, war Roger:

fed-o.gif

I was just watching tape to make my bets for tonight, and in rewatching Varner/Lauzon for probably the 10th time now, I'm just not sure how anyone picks another fight over this fight as FOTY.

I always hear people picking KZ/Poirier, and while that fight was definitely entertaining... the fight really wasn't that competitive, at all. Poirier had a few moments, but KZ pretty much smashed him from bell to bell...

Varner/Lauzon, on the other hand, was just a ridiculous back and forth war, with both guys looking like they had the other guy finished numerous times. Varner rocked and dropped Lauzon on two different occasions, and had ridiculous barrages of body strikes, and then standing elbow strikes. Lauzon then started outboxing Varner, and then taking him down and getting dominant position after dominant position. Both guys were able to take the other guy down numerous times, and both guys were able to reverse the other guy and end up on top.

Again, I'm not knocking the KZ/Poirier fight, but the Varner/Lauzon fight was a much more entertaining fight, and I just don't think the two are in the same category. In fact, I'd argue that Marquardt/Woodley is a better FOTY candidate than KZ/Poirier.

Anyways, just my $.02, and I think this fight should really get more love than it does...

I'll pretty much agree with this. I cant really think of a fight that I found more exciting than Lauzon/Varner this year.

One of the finishes of the year, if not THE single best finish of the year, but... better fight?? I'm probably the biggest Marquardt hugger on this board, and even I can't back that...

Woodley's only success was dropping Marquardt at the beginning of the 1st, and rocking him in the 3rd, other than that, Nate was just putting a beating on TWood.

Again, it's definitely a better FOTY candidate than KZ/Poirier, but it's not on the level of what Lauzon and Varner did in the cage that night.

Eh, I can see how you would enjoy the constant exchange of techniques Varner and Lauzon put on each other more but imo Nate/Woodley was better having more damage exchanged between the two men and both of them getting rocked twice plus a more satisfactory finish.

Varner/Lauzon was fun all the way through but it lacks a significant "high point" for me.

Great fight, I think if Varner had not taken the fight on short notice and had more gas he would have won the decision. Great fight though.

Eh, I can see how you would enjoy the constant exchange of techniques Varner and Lauzon put on each other more but imo Nate/Woodley was better having more damage exchanged between the two men and both of them getting rocked twice plus a more satisfactory finish.

Varner/Lauzon was fun all the way through but it lacks a significant "high point" for me.

You also have to take into account the automatic deduction of FOTY points for any fight involving TWood due to the constant screaming:

ijtbcG.gif

Similar to how no KenFlo fight was ever seriously considered for FOTY :icon_lol:

Similar to how no KenFlo fight was ever seriously considered for FOTY :icon_lol:

Ugh...Keith Florian.

There's a cornerman I won't be missing any lifetime soon.

I swear he'd just sit there screaming KEEEEENNNYYYYYY at the top of his lungs more than he'd dole out any advice.

Yeah it was an awesome fight.
Varner took the fight on short notice, maybe that
was the reason he faded in the 3rd round and got subbed.
Anyway it should at least be a nominee for FOTY.

''Forbidden'', i've seen a few guys :p

Yeah, sad Rafa isn't going to be at AO. Somebody needs to take care of Novak..

Damn, I didn't know that... That dude is in for a seriously short career. His knees are totally shot.

Or did that Rosol dude just steal his soul and now he just can't bring himself to show his face in public?? :icon_twis:icon_twis

Back