I'm sorry, but Varner vs Lauzon is easily FOTY and it's not even close

Roger FedorAIR

It ain't easy being white
Reaction score
I was just watching tape to make my bets for tonight, and in rewatching Varner/Lauzon for probably the 10th time now, I'm just not sure how anyone picks another fight over this fight as FOTY.

I always hear people picking KZ/Poirier, and while that fight was definitely entertaining... the fight really wasn't that competitive, at all. Poirier had a few moments, but KZ pretty much smashed him from bell to bell...

Varner/Lauzon, on the other hand, was just a ridiculous back and forth war, with both guys looking like they had the other guy finished numerous times. Varner rocked and dropped Lauzon on two different occasions, and had ridiculous barrages of body strikes, and then standing elbow strikes. Lauzon then started outboxing Varner, and then taking him down and getting dominant position after dominant position. Both guys were able to take the other guy down numerous times, and both guys were able to reverse the other guy and end up on top.

Again, I'm not knocking the KZ/Poirier fight, but the Varner/Lauzon fight was a much more entertaining fight, and I just don't think the two are in the same category. In fact, I'd argue that Marquardt/Woodley is a better FOTY candidate than KZ/Poirier.

Anyways, just my $.02, and I think this fight should really get more love than it does...

Varner/Lauzon and Marquardt/Woodley were both better than KZ/Poirier I agree

My favourite and therefore my pick for FOTY was KZ vs Poirier but I can understand your choice. Each to their own

Hominick/Yagin

Yagin looked good for about 2/3rds of a round, and then just looked completely exhausted, and then just started spamming overhand right after overhand right. The rest of the fight involved one guy just avoiding one punch and chasing the other guy down.

Sorry, not really what I consider FOTY material...

KZ vs Poirier was better because a vast majority of people were counting KZ out and thought he had nothing for Dustin, and he comes out and dominates every second of the fight.

Varner vs Lauzon deserved FOTY more than GSP vs Condit though...

Nate/Woodley > Varner/Lauzon.

Better fight, better finish.

KZ vs Poirier was better because a vast majority of people were counting KZ out and thought he had nothing for Dustin, and he comes out and dominates every second of the fight.

Who said GSP/Condit was FOTY...

OK, well wouldn't that be criteria more applicable to upset of the year, not fight of the year?

If we're objectively choosing a winner based on just the merits of the fight, I don't see the relevance of who came in as the dog... Conversely, if KZ had lost but it had been in a ridiculously competitive fight, then I wouldn't think twice about giving it FOTY ahead of a Varner/Lauzon, despite the fact that the favorite would have won, and not the dog...

Nate/Woodley > Varner/Lauzon.

Better fight, better finish.

One of the finishes of the year, if not THE single best finish of the year, but... better fight?? I'm probably the biggest Marquardt hugger on this board, and even I can't back that...

Woodley's only success was dropping Marquardt at the beginning of the 1st, and rocking him in the 3rd, other than that, Nate was just putting a beating on TWood.

Again, it's definitely a better FOTY candidate than KZ/Poirier, but it's not on the level of what Lauzon and Varner did in the cage that night.

Who are you lol? 3.6k post and never saw you before, did you change your name?

And yeah, easily FOTY for me. At least, UFC-bound. And WAR ROGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I'm surprised that Kampmann/Ellenberger has not been mentioned, in this thread or others(as far as I know). I went apeshit when I saw that fight. It blew me away.

I'm not saying that it is necessarily FOTY, but I think it was in the top 5, and deserves some mention.

Back