I'm so sick of the invincible hero

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Guy walks into a room unarmed, a bunch of bad guys surround him. And he arrogantly quips about how he's going to hurt them all, and they laugh. But he's so highly trained that he kicks all their assess before they can draw their guns.

Jack Reacher
The Equalizer
The Gray Man

And a million other movies that do the same thing. When you're that invincible it's not even a challenge anymore.

It really makes me appreciate someone like Jackie Chan. He looked like he was in full panic mode in every fight. Just trying to survive.

Or Michael Weston, who was also highly trained but not invincible, and he regularly has to outsmart the bad guys instead of just beating them all in hand to hand combat.

Guy walks into a room unarmed, a bunch of bad guys surround him. And he arrogantly quips about how he's going to hurt them all, and they laugh. But he's so highly trained that he kicks all their assess before they can draw their guns.

Jack Reacher
The Equalizer
The Gray Man

And a million other movies that do the same thing. When you're that invincible it's not even a challenge anymore.

It really makes me appreciate someone like Jackie Chan. He looked like he was in full panic mode in every fight. Just trying to survive.

Or Michael Weston, who was also highly trained but not invincible, and he regularly has to outsmart the bad guys instead of just beating them all in hand to hand combat.

Jackie did that to counter the Bruce Lee take of invincibility. He wanted to show the pain. Was genius imo.

I do agree though. Since Bruce did it, I have seen it a million times and its been played out for a long while.

Jackie did that to counter the Bruce Lee take of invincibility. He wanted to show the pain. Was genius imo.

I do agree though. Since Bruce did it, I have seen it a million times and its been played out for a long while.
Yeah honestly I liked it more when I was a kid. Bruce Lee was the pioneer, Steven seagal I thought added something, I even liked Billy Jack lol.

But with movies after 2000 it just feels stale, like they've taken it too far and beaten that horse too much.

The Equalizer was a huge offender, which was a shame because the TV show it was based on was so not like that at all.

It’s not my favorite either. That’s why Superman sucks so bad. He’s a relic from a time when people needed an invincible hero as an avatar for America to give them hope. But that shit doesn’t exactly give way to much good story telling.

However, I did enjoy The Equalizer and Jack Reacher (obviously). They were fun movies. I couldn’t make it through 10 minutes of the Grey Man. I didn’t even realize that’s what the movie was because I was so bored I just checked out mentally before I turned it off.

It's a fantasy for a lot of dudes. "People don't know I'm badass but I'm actually so fucking badass they don't even know."

I liked that one British movie about a guy trying to avenge or save his daughter who's been trafficked. He's just a regular guy with no military background or anything but beats the bad guys through savagery and cunning. One fight scene was interesting. The hero gets his ass kicked by a bigger, younger, henchman who is just fighting to kick him out, but the hero is fighting to the death. When the henchman beats him up and thinks the fight is over and tells him to stay down, the protagonist blindsides the henchman with a weapon and kills him.
I wish I could remember the name of the movie.

Or I would like a movie about a known badass who's everybody is scared of and isn't exactly a good guy, but steps up to be the hero due to circumstances. I'm sure that movie exists but I can't think of any at the top of my head.

It's a fantasy for a lot of dudes. "People don't know I'm badass but I'm actually so fucking badass they don't even know."

I liked that one British movie about a guy trying to avenge or save his daughter who's been trafficked. He's just a regular guy with no military background or anything but beats the bad guys through savagery and cunning. One fight scene was interesting. The hero gets his ass kicked by a bigger, younger, henchman who is just fighting to kick him out, but the hero is fighting to the death. When the henchman beats him up and thinks the fight is over and tells him to stay down, the protagonist blindsides the henchman with a weapon and kills him.

Or I would like a movie about a known badass who's everybody is scared of and isn't exactly a good guy, but steps up to be the hero due to circumstances. I'm sure that movie exists but I can't think of any at the top of my head.

Dad bod 3000

The Foreigner

your country has an awesome movie that fits last paragraph

Man from nowhere

Jack Reacher
The Equalizer
The Gray Man

The only thing worse is this same scenario, but with a girl. There's this propaganda being spread amongst the younger generation that women can be as tough as guys and that's simply not the case. Like as a 45 year old untrained man, I'm confident I can beat at least 95% of random adult females in the US in a cage fight with rules.

Yeah I hate those films. I don't like superhero flicks, I haven't seen past John Wick 2, I got bored with Extraction 2 (liked the first).
They get old fast and boring. If they aren't gunna have some degree of reality then they may as well fly or turn invisible and other :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:ry when they want

Damn that sounds like a good movie. Let me know if you ever remember the name

That’s what I loved about “Law Abiding Citizen”. Despite the fact that Gerard Butler is an action star. His character used a genius intellect to get the job done. It’s too bad they ended the movie the way they did. That would have been a decent franchise to expand on.

That’s what I loved about “Law Abiding Citizen”. Despite the fact that Gerard Butler is an action star. His character used a genius intellect to get the job done. It’s too bad they ended the movie the way they did. That would have been a decent franchise to expand on.
Yeah I was really enjoying that movie until the end. One of the most obvious Hollywood rewrites in history. Imagine how the original screenwriter felt, watching his awesome script get changed into that?

This one's at the top of my list for films that should be rebooted. It had potential

Man I miss Burn Notice. Wouldn't mind a revival mini series or TV movie or something

Burn Notice was pretty great. On top of being a badass, he had to outsmart the bad guys. One episode opened with him beating up multiple opponents and his voiceover was like, "when fighting more than one opponent, best to crowd them into a corner so it's like fighting one guy with 4 or 6 arms instead of 2 or 3 guys coming at you from different angles." LMFAO.

Last edited:
Back