I'm slowly losing interest in Martial Arts..

tspirtle

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been doing boxing, aikido, TKD, and a little jiu-jitsu for the past year. I've always loved it all up until about 3 weeks ago. I got strep throat and didn't train for about a week. After that week, I didn't have as much interest in starting training again.

Is this a phase a lot of people go through? What can I do to get back into it? I'm hoping as soon as I go to another class/take another hit, all that interest plus some will come rushing back.

It is always hard to want to get back into shape or return to fighting because it easier to sit on a couch then get punched in the head. Go back and start training, just do not go real hard and burn yourself out. have fun and train and you will get your interest back.

Once fighting is in your blood you will never lose interest in it.

I'm in the same boat....I'm going to keep going but just like once a week or something, just a hobby

make a goal to compete if you need some reason to train

Whenever I have a lack of drive for boxing, watching great fighters always gets me back in the gym and wanting to compete again.
Vargas vs. Trinidad
Cotto vs Zab Judah
Pernell Whitaker vs. Buddy Mcgirt
Mario Kindelan.....Yuriorkis Gamboa....Ike Quartey...Floyd Mayweather...These guys are all great fighters who are immensly influential and they can definetly get you excited about competing/fighting again.

Whenever I'm feeling unmotivated to train, I scale back my training and focus on something else. Right now I'm training primarily for fighting, and I'm itching to get back in the weight room regularly.

When I'm lifting heavy regularly, I always want to eventually get back in the gym and bang away.

Variation is the key to progress and motivation.

One time I got pretty sick and I ate jello. That's pretty much all I ate cause that's all I could stand. After I got over my sickness I tried to eat Jello and I couldn't. It was fucking sick. I've always liked jello until after I got sick.

When I got sick recently I tried to think as little as I could about MMA cause I didn't want to get over my sickness and then not like MMA like how I didn't like the jello.

lol, maybe that makes sense, maybe it doesn't. Whatever man.

Only downside is getting punched in the head otherwise training is great and you know it.

never-give-up-frog.jpg

Go and spar with some one much better than you so you get your arse kicked, that always motivates me

Maybe you just don't want to fight. No shame in it and no sense doing something like fighting if you don't want to. Just make the decision to stay or leave. You can always come back to fighting.

It is always hard to want to get back into shape or return to fighting because it easier to sit on a couch then get punched in the head. Go back and start training, just do not go real hard and burn yourself out. have fun and train and you will get your interest back.

Once fighting is in your blood you will never lose interest in it.

Agreed 100%. I was off BJJ for about 4 months (combination of an injury, and a new job) and it took me a long time to get back into it. In fact, I'm just getting back into it now, but I'm getting back into it hardcore. I'm a huge supporter of time off - might sound cheesy, but I have that spark, that hunger to get better than I haven't had since first starting.

Maybe you need some time to just do solo training without sparring. It can refresh you and is very good exercise. It's much better than just stopping. You can also try some different kinds of workouts like bodybuilding, plyometrics, or other sports. I've always found that when I've done other sports for a while, it makes me appreciate the ones that I already do more. And also, it may sound stupid, but watch some martial arts movies. I'm serious. Even now, when I don't feel like working out, I'll put on a Bruce Lee movie and then go train!

I took ten years off and went on obsessive tangents in competitive shooting and paintball. Life is long enough to do other things and come back to MA. I have never stopped weight training though.

I've trained in one way or another since 2000. In the last year or so I've been finding it harder and harder to get motivated (having no funds doesn't help there either).

I do a lot of work off my own back with fitness work or lifting though (fight orientated work).

Aikido? TKD? Ghey?

Youre doing 4 different martial arts Im guessing you train them each once a week twice at most. It probably feels like youre not progressing as fast as you thought. A years worth of something at 1 session a week isnt actually alot of training at all. Thats 52 sessions assuming you attended them all. Which is like 3-4 months for someone who trains 3-4 times a week.

Just do 1-2 things and train them hard. Pick a ring sport or a grappling sport, if youre a competitive person like me you'll enjoy the atmosphere that everyones always trying to be better than each other - I cant spend more than 2 classes in a 'traditional' martial arts class it drives me insane.

Also another thing that helps is to make friends with people at the club, especially the trainer/instructor.

I personally don't understand it, i've never even thought about being bored or not wanting to train and ive been training for a few years, I feel like once you are a martial artist you always will be. Fighting and training run in my blood and I wouldnt trade it for the world, good luck though maybe take a break and come back to it and then you will feel it once again.

Back