I'm slowly losing interest in Martial Arts..

I F-ed my knee up in November of last year and had to sit out for 2 months. It has been really tough getting the motivation to train hard like I used to. One of my good friends has recently started training so he has been guilting me into going. Find someone to train with regularly and make sure they call and bug the hell out of you to show up.

I've been doing boxing, aikido, TKD, and a little jiu-jitsu for the past year. I've always loved it all up until about 3 weeks ago. I got strep throat and didn't train for about a week. After that week, I didn't have as much interest in starting training again.

Is this a phase a lot of people go through? What can I do to get back into it? I'm hoping as soon as I go to another class/take another hit, all that interest plus some will come rushing back.

This has happened to a lot of us. It's just a matter of getting back into the rhythm. Start off slow, get the feel for training again. Then slowly take things up a notch. Having a training partner helps a lot too. They help you get motivated, and keep it.

I slowed my training down to almost a complete stop for the last 6 months (mostly due to my day job, and being exhausted at the end of the day). But my bro, and a couple of friends pushed me. Now I'm training again on a more regular basis. Eventually, I want to put the hours back into it, like I used to.

Yeah it's a phase. It's like anything else that consists of physical activity. I.E. going to the gym hard for 4 months straight, than you catch a cold, and are out for 1-2 weeks, than you're uninsterested, or it seems tedious. But once you break that barrier, and build up a good sweat, you get back in it. I've been out of the gym for 2 months, and I've drastically shrank, but I know once the stresses of school are gone, I'm go back harder and stronger.

Just a phase push yourself to go and within a week or two you will be bang on it again...no better motivtor then sparring and Gasin out

Aikido? TKD? Ghey?

Youre doing 4 different martial arts Im guessing you train them each once a week twice at most. It probably feels like youre not progressing as fast as you thought. A years worth of something at 1 session a week isnt actually alot of training at all. Thats 52 sessions assuming you attended them all. Which is like 3-4 months for someone who trains 3-4 times a week.

Just do 1-2 things and train them hard. Pick a ring sport or a grappling sport, if youre a competitive person like me you'll enjoy the atmosphere that everyones always trying to be better than each other - I cant spend more than 2 classes in a 'traditional' martial arts class it drives me insane.

Also another thing that helps is to make friends with people at the club, especially the trainer/instructor.

Amen

do you enjoy training? does it eliminate pent up aggression or stress? I fell into this rut myself. I was training for a fight before the holidays. I trained for 4 weeks thinking the fight was 4 more weeks away and found out that the promoters changed the date to the following month after original fight date. So considering the move i had more time to train..i kept training and sacrificing 3 weeks before the "new" fight date..the promoters ended up canceling the whole event. So needless to say after finding out the news I went out and grabbed a beer and decided not to train for a while. It took me 3 months to really get my arse back in gear. (I was still keeping my conditioning up for the 3 months.i wasn't a complete loser). Needless to say i just recently started showing up for sparring and technique training and am actually enjoying it more cuz i have no fights in the future to commit to.
Sorry for the long windedness.. The moral is.. i forgot to have fun. i was too busy trying too hard and over anlyzing the event. I basically turned myself off to it. Having a break from it all isn't a bad thing..clearing your head and involving yourself with other things in life is good. I feel you'll get that "ITCH" again soon to train..especially if you enjoyed it so much in the past. Don't worry about it just keep moving on bro.

Back