I'm getting enCaged! (UPDATE - Movie #9: Fire Birds)

The Weather Man, Matchstick Men and Joe are great. Adaptation and Leaving Las Vegas are phenomenal.

I also think that Bangkok Dangerous was a very good performance by him and a seriously underrated film. I actually think it's one of his best movies and performances.

Really? Weird. That was actually one of my biggest disappointments. Watched the trailer, thought it looked cool, went to the theater to check it out and walked out being like, "Well that kind of sucked."

When he's on, he's fantastic. When he airballs, he's fantastic.

When he's just mediocre in a shitty movie...well, not my thing but you have to watch the movie to find out which one it will be.

I also think that Bangkok Dangerous was a very good performance by him and a seriously underrated film. I actually think it's one of his best movies and performances.

Bangkok Dangerous was fantastic.

I love Drive Angry. Darn Amber Heard was hot.

tumblr_mmhgtpOTI91s5anqko1_500.gif

Godspeed ts. Or should I say ... Goodspeed ts!

I guess Wild at Heart is my favourite Nic Cage film. His performance is amazing but the film is full of interesting, Lynchian characters

df700c8fe780b7311ff28267db702bb8.jpg

2-muf4op.jpg

Godspeed ts. Or should I say ... Goodspeed ts!

I guess Wild at Heart is my favourite Nic Cage film. His performance is amazing but the film is full of interesting, Lynchian characters

2-muf4op.jpg

One of the great injustices of our time is Willem Dafoe not being cast as The Joker in Tim Burton's Batman. To Live and Die in LA was the perfect prelude for that. He has the midas touch when it comes to playing delightfully unhinged characters.

nicholas-cage-con-air.jpg

After the unexpected revival of my Ethan Hawke on Nicolas Cage thread a few days ago, it got me to thinking. I love Nic Cage so much, I said to myself, but there are still so many films of his that I haven't seen.

And my conclusion was that I have no choice but to rectify this woeful situation!

My appreciation of The Cage started in 1996 with the release of The Rock. I was 15 at the time and went to see it with my dad. I did not, at that time, know much about Nicky but I ended up loving the movie. And his reputation as a true King of Awesomeness was solidified one year later when he made Face/Off.

Since then I have seen so many movies of his that I love: Raising Arizona, The Weather Man, National Treasure, Leaving Las Vegas, Lord of War, Guarding Tess, the list just goes on and on. . .

But there are still so many movies to see, especially much of his more recent DTV work. So that's what's up. I'm going to watch EVERY SINGLE movie in which Nicolas Cage has participated, whether live action or animated. The only thing that can let me off the hook is if I just can't find the movie, which might happen in the case of a few of his made-for-TV appearances.

As new Cage movies are released, I'll add them to the list. If I've already seen it, I'll watch it again. As I finish a movie, I'll update the list by italicizing that film's name. And I'll also be sure to write up a review for anyone who is interested.

Oh, and I plan to go in no particular order. I'm just going wherever the road takes me.

So with that said, let's fucking do this!

The official list:

USS Indianapolis: Men of Courage
Snowden
Dog Eat Dog
The Trust
Pay the Ghost
The Runner
Dying of the Light
Left Behind
Outcast
Rage
Joe
The Frozen Ground
The Croods
Stolen
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance
Trespass
Seeking Justice
Drive Angry
Season of the Witch
The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Kick-Ass
Astro Boy
Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans
G-Force
Knowing
Bangkok Dangerous
National Treasure: Book of Secrets
Next
Grindhouse
Ghost Rider
The Wicker Man
World Trade Center
The Ant Bully
The Weather Man
Lord of War
National Treasure
Matchstick Men
Adaptation.
Sonny
Windtalkers
Christmas Carol: The Movie
Captain Corelli's Mandolin
The Family Man
Gone in Sixty Seconds
Bringing Out the Dead
8MM
Snake Eyes
City of Angels
Face/Off
Con Air
The Rock
Leaving Las Vegas
Kiss of Death
Trapped in Paradise
It Could Happen to You
Guarding Tess
Deadfall
Red Rock West
Amos & Andrew
Honeymoon in Vegas
Zandalee
Industrial Symphony No. 1: The Dream of the Brokenhearted
Fire Birds
Wild at Heart
Time to Kill
Never on Tuesday
Vampire's Kiss
Moonstruck
Raising Arizona
Peggy Sue Got Married
The Boy in Blue
Birdy
The Cotton Club
Racing with the Moon
Rumble Fish
Valley Girl
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Best of Times

Leaving Las Vegas inspired me to drink hard liquor in the shower.:D

Last edited:

2-muf4op.jpg

Interesting Lynchian characters? Well shit, I'm sold. Adding this to my long list of shit to watch haha.

Really? Weird. That was actually one of my biggest disappointments. Watched the trailer, thought it looked cool, went to the theater to check it out and walked out being like, "Well that kind of sucked."

I really liked his characterization. It was toned down, subtle and believable. It was similar to Gosling in Drive, but Gosling was praised to the ends of the earth while Cage was forgotten or even panned for his work in Bangkok.

Lol I was just looking at his IMDb page earlier last week.

Something like +80 movies to his name! That will be an effort to get through them all and even maybe find them!

Will you accompany each viewing of each movie with a 1500word shadow priest special review!?

I just watched bringing back the dead last Saturday. That was a good gem in the end.

Something like +80 movies to his name! That will be an effort to get through them all and even maybe find them!

Yeah, I expect there are going to be a few that I'm just not going to be able to find, like some of his made-for-TV work at the beginning of his career. We'll just have to see.

Will you accompany each viewing of each movie with a 1500word shadow priest special review!?

I'm definitely going to do a little write up for each film. I might also include a bit of additional info, like trivia or little tidbits I learn about the production. (Kind of like a scaled down version of my OPs for Movie Club, if you've ever seen those.)

Yeah, I expect there are going to be a few that I'm just not going to be able to find, like some of his made-for-TV work at the beginning of his career. We'll just have to see.

I'm definitely going to do a little write up for each film. I might also include a bit of additional info, like trivia or little tidbits I learn about the production. (Kind of like a scaled down version of my OPs for Movie Club, if you've ever seen those.)
Beautiful! Looking forward to them!

I was reading that treated you made with what Ethan Hawke had to say about him. Couldn't agree any more, his best work is something which a few others can pull off and then when he is just wanting that money to pay his taxes he will sign to do anything! Zero fucks given by him!

Don't do this to yourself. Have a cut off of like.. a rating of 6 on imdb. There are so many other quality movies you will miss out on for your Nick Cage movie diet. :p
That said I've watched a fair few John Travolta movies I shouldn't have because of his charisma and still enjoyed his acting in them.

Don't do this to yourself. Have a cut off of like.. a rating of 6 on imdb. There are so many other quality movies you will miss out on for your Nick Cage movie diet. :p

I have to, man! It's one of those things that I've been pondering doing for a few years now. I MUST see every Nic Cage performance!

My roommate and I were musing last night that Nick Cage could have played Forrest Gump without a script and the movie would be largely unchanged.

My roommate and I were musing last night that Nick Cage could have played Forrest Gump without a script and the movie would be largely unchanged.

Fucking LOL. I'll say this shit, I would pay a hundred dollars to see a rendition of Forrest Gump with Cage in the title role.

Back