I'm getting buldozed!

showbizconnor

White Belt
Reaction score
hi Guys,

I just thought i'd throw this one out to the group to see if anybody might have any tips on how i might be more competative against a particular guy i train with?

I've been taring for about 4 months (No Gi) 5 times a week with 3 of the classes being private one to one lessons with my instructor so i'm training with a lot if intensity and my technique is coming on nicely and my instructor has hinted that i'm getting very close to my blue belt.

I do well in class against all the whites and the lower blues but i'm getting dominated by one guy in particular and his jiu jitsu isn't even that good.

he weighs about 100kg and is solid at the weight, i'm 90kg and bit soft round the middle so although we're both pretty big this guy out muscles me with ease.

He's been training for about 2 years and is still a white but he just buldozes through anything i try,

I generally play guard, his base isn't that strong but everytime i try and sweep him he just doesn't budge, any subs i throw up from guard just get shrugged off and he subs me with neck cranks from half guard and side control.

he's a cool guy and trains in the right way but he's so strong i'm stuck for ideas on how to stop him manhandeling me let alone landing a sub.

any ideas????

Keep going to class. I'm sure you're ready for blue belt after 4 months and all....but likely you just need to work on basic technique.

Try to play top with him. If your top game is lacking, then thats even better.

Use Butterfly Guard, Arm Drags, and take his back.

Watch clips of Marcello Garcia to see how he handles larger opponents.

If you are smaller, you most likely are quicker and you need to use this speed to your advantage.

In other words, you are getting schooled by a really strong and explosive guy.

Keep working on it, and try to get on top.

Have you thought about playing butterfly/sitting guard? You can use it against big people unlike closed guard.

In other words, you are getting schooled by a really strong and explosive guy.

Keep working on it, and try to get on top.

Have you thought about playing butterfly/sitting guard? You can use it against big people unlike closed guard.

thanks for the feedback guys.
I've not really learnt any butterfly guard yet except a basic sweep but it's certainly something i can take a look at on you tube.

Keep going to class. I'm sure you're ready for blue belt after 4 months and all....but likely you just need to work on basic technique.

Try to play top with him. If your top game is lacking, then thats even better.

We roll from knees so if i engage him in a greco style lock up he just muscles to the side and i'm lucky if i catch half guard.

I tend to just sit back and butscoot towards him trying to off balance him by kicking his knee and catching an armdrag.

Here are two vid of how to do a hook sweep from butterfly.

YouTube - Hook Sweep

YouTube - hook sweep to side control or mount

The hook sweep is great from butterly. You can also pull it off from half guard also by getting the outside hook in. Sweep works really well against big guys that like to try and smash into you. Takles a bit of timing but its a great sweep to use.

hi Guys,

I do well in class against all the whites and the lower blues but i'm getting dominated by one guy in particular and his jiu jitsu isn't even that good.

he weighs about 100kg and is solid at the weight, i'm 90kg and bit soft round the middle so although we're both pretty big this guy out muscles me with ease.

He's been training for about 2 years and is still a white but he just buldozes through anything i try,

First thing is that you have been training only a short amount of time and this guy has alot more experience then you.

Could you be beating other whites and low blue belts with strength? then once someone who is stronger then you turns up you get stuck?

My advise is learn good technique, the weight difference isn't too great. You should be able to work most games against him.

We roll from knees so if i engage him in a greco style lock up he just muscles to the side and i'm lucky if i catch half guard.

I tend to just sit back and butscoot towards him trying to off balance him by kicking his knee and catching an armdrag.

Ask him if you can start on top. It's not about "winning" rolls, it's about getting better. Or get really good at arm drags.

First thing is that you have been training only a short amount of time and this guy has alot more experience then you.

Could you be beating other whites and low blue belts with strength? then once someone who is stronger then you turns up you get stuck?

My advise is learn good technique, the weight difference isn't too great. You should be able to work most games against him.

qft

Be EXTREMELY aggressive. There was a kid on my wrestling team that should've been wrestling 160 (with cutting weight) but had to wrestle up to 215. He wasn't stronger than the guys he wrestled he was just very tough and extremely aggressive, constantly on the offense showing no mercy, not giving up what he had etc.

Thanks everyone,

i'll ask my instructor if he can go through some butterfly guard techniques with me on my next one to one.

if i'm honest it the moment i only seem to end up in half butterfly by accident no design so all your coments are much appriciated.

in response to the coment that i may be doing well with whites and lower blues that could be true but i'm not particulary strong and i'm a bit over weight ( kinda like a fat welterweight fghting at light heavy if that makes sense??)

even with guys smaller than me i pull guard and try for sweeps as my top game isn't the best so i tend to try and sweep and land in mount or side control rather than passing from the their guard..

thanks for the feed back guys it looks like i'm gonna have to work on butterfly!

Use Butterfly Guard, Arm Drags, and take his back.

Watch clips of Marcello Garcia to see how he handles larger opponents.

If you are smaller, you most likely are quicker and you need to use this speed to your advantage.

Dude, it's not like the OP is some little guy and the other guy is huge. The OP said he is about 200 lbs, which is only about 20 lbs lighter than the bulldozer guy, and the OP is soft in the middle. He's no Marcelo Garcia and isn't able to just fly and flit around some lumbering giant.

There's no way you're ever gonna be competitive with a stronger, heavier guy who's been training almost two years longer than you have.

Sorry.

Am I the only one wondering how someone can be close to his blue belt with almost no experience with/knowledge of the butterfly guard?

same thing today we got a new guy who all he did was bulrush well the douche ended up busting my nose and another guys, and also caught a guy in heel hook and just let the poor guy have it. so there i was trowing everything at this guy,but shrugging everything off until some guy caught him in one of the deepest armbars i have ever seen and i swear this guy will probably never be back due to that armbar
all in all the world is filled with douche bags

you got knowledge of the closed guard, right?

here's an idea. USE IT!

jez. for once somebody around here needs to get good on their back. everyone goes for butterfly, or half, or sweeps to mount, or WHATEVER, but no one here talks about nailing subs from the bottom. you wanna be good, learn how to nail one submission from 20 different set ups -- FROM THE BOTTOM!

get a good closed guard game man. be able to keep your guy in your guard no matter the pass and MAKE him play your game.

Back