I'm a yuuuge Bernie nuthugger, but Trump is my second choice.

Forkfoot

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
So crazy thought: Trump might actually be my second choice among viable candidates after Bernie. He's the only other candidate who seems unlikely to drag the U.S. into another evil act of military interventionism, speaking about making "deals" (aka diplomacy) with Russia and other countries, dismissing the cut-and-dry, black-and-white narrative other Republican candidates have running on ISIS ("We don't even know who our allies are!"), and is the only major candidate besides Bernie to unequivocally condemn the Iraq invasion. I kinda think a U.S. President's most fundamental job is to keep the peace and try not to get people killed, and everyone besides Sanders and Trump is scarily hawkish, including Hilary.

Less importantly but still worth noting, Trump is also like Bernie in that (unlike Hillary) they're both outspoken critics of the TPP, NAFTA, and other job-killing free trade agreements. They've both pledged not to try and get rid of social security or medicare, they're both vocal about wanting to repair America's infrastructure, and neither of them is beholden to large campaign donors, albeit for very different reasons. I'd be a lot more comfortable seeing these two guys square off in November than anyone else. It's bizarre, but I think I'm actually pulling for the guy.

The Bernie/Trump crossover is one of the stranger animals of this election. But they are the only two who I believe will take a more measured, negotiating approach to difficult foreign policy situations, so that makes some sense. I don't believe Trump on the trade deals, and I don't think Bernie has the muscle to stop them.

So crazy thought: Trump might actually be my second choice among viable candidates after Bernie. He's the only other candidate who seems unlikely to drag the U.S. into another evil act of military interventionism, speaking about making "deals" (aka diplomacy) with Russia and other countries, dismissing the cut-and-dry, black-and-white narrative other Republican candidates have running on ISIS ("We don't even know who our allies are!"), and is the only major candidate besides Bernie to unequivocally condemn the Iraq invasion. I kinda think a U.S. President's most fundamental job is to keep the peace and try not to get people killed, and everyone besides Sanders and Trump is scarily hawkish, including Hilary.

WTF? Trump promised to "bomb the hell out of ISIS," put ground troops in Syria, take Iraq's oil, extract a tribute from allies, etc. This is just a baffling statement. He's way the hell more hawkish than Clinton, and more than almost anyone else in the race. This is what happens when knowledgeable liberals don't correct dishonest right-wing attacks on Clinton. It's very Bush/Gore with some people.

Jack is right. Plus Trump can't even control his emotions in Twitter flame wars. He's not presidential material. Cast that vote for Bernie.

I actually find them to be two of the more similar candidates when all is said and done. Neither is an establishment politician and I actually have some belief in the authenticity of their platforms than most other candidates - barring certain exaggerated elements of Trump's platform.

I'm voting Bernie though.

WTF? Trump promised to "bomb the hell out of ISIS," put ground troops in Syria, take Iraq's oil, extract a tribute from allies, etc. This is just a baffling statement. He's way the hell more hawkish than Clinton, and more than almost anyone else in the race. This is what happens when knowledgeable liberals don't correct dishonest right-wing attacks on Clinton. It's very Bush/Gore with some people.

He has absolutely NOT promised to put ground troops in Syria. Since that's a lie, I really don't see how he's more hawkish than anyone else in the election, including Hillary, just looking at her record.

Jack is right. Plus Trump can't even control his emotions in Twitter flame wars. He's not presidential material. Cast that vote for Bernie.

Now don't get me wrong, I think he's a terrible candidate. He's just the second-best person to be Commander-in-Chief of the world's most powerful military force. I think it's outrageous that there aren't any other less-terrifying candidates on the left, but there just aren't.

He has absolutely NOT promised to put ground troops in Syria. Since that's a lie, I really don't see how he's more hawkish than anyone else in the election, including Hillary, just looking at her record.

I see you're jumping into full asshole mode (just say that you weren't aware of this: http://www.lowellsun.com/todaysheadlines/ci_29138451/trump-sends-sparks-flying-worcester before accusing someone of lying) so it's going to be a waste of time trying to discuss anything with you.

I can't believe Trump is a legitimate candidate in a presidential election.

Says a lot about America's celebrity and money worship, IMO.

I actually find them to be two of the more similar candidates when all is said and done. Neither is an establishment politician and I actually have some belief in the authenticity of their platforms than most other candidates - barring certain exaggerated elements of Trump's platform.

I'm voting Bernie though.
Trump is very much an establishment candidate, but, I suppose you are correct if you are only referring to the political establishment. His tax plan is very much pro rich guy (and no change for the poor).

Bernie is definitely anti-establishment all around.

Show me the promise.

Heh. I could have worded that better, "he promised to 'bomb the hell out of ISIS', indicated support for group troops in Syria, take Iraq's oil ..." The notion that he is somehow less hawkish than Clinton reflects stunning ignorance and willingness to take campaign material at face value. As I said, the buildup from the loony left is very much like the buildup to Bush/Gore. Didn't matter who won that one, right guys?

i've heard trump say several times he wants troops on the ground for ISIS. i don't know why it's so important to revolve the issue around whether he said "i promise" or not.

he also said he'll deport the mexicans. but he didn't pinky swear by it, so maybe he's not committed to doing it.

Hillary may be power-hungry but she's intelligent. If she starts new wars in the ME, her actions will be calculated. She wouldn't fuck it up enough to put us in danger.

Trump is an idiot full of hot air, he's dangerous. It's all fun and games until it's real.

Heh. I could have worded that better, "he promised to 'bomb the hell out of ISIS', indicated support for group troops in Syria, take Iraq's oil ..." The notion that he is somehow less hawkish than Clinton reflects stunning ignorance and willingness to take campaign material at face value. As I said, the buildup from the loony left is very much like the buildup to Bush/Gore. Didn't matter who won that one, right guys?

I've never argued that Gore wouldn't have made a better president. Of course he would have. Bush also had a record of literally executing retarded people.

So let's forget about campaign material. Which one voted in favor of the Iraq invasion, the greatest foreign policy blunder in generations? It's absolutely insane that someone who voted for something so violently stupid could be polling so high on the left. She voted for it and hasn't thrown herself on her knees publicly begging forgiveness for all the thousands upon thousands of lives she helped end. When crunch time came, she failed as spectacularly as a leader can fail. And she did so erring on the side of war.

I want to see a shake up in the country. I would like to see Bernie get a chance to lead the crazy, but if he can't get in then Trump seems to be the only alternative. Everyone else will basically be politics as usual. I want to see the 2 party system come to an end. I don't like Trump as a person, or his policies, but he will turn the system on it's head.

He does seem to be the only GOP candidate who Ive seen in the debates advocate for a form of universal healthcare. Was funny seeing him mention taking care of poor people who couldnt afford healthcare and hearing one person in the audience clap.

Back