Illegal Alien Convict, Accused of Sex Abuse, Bankrupts County with $1M Taxpayer-Funded Medical Bills

waiguoren

Double Yellow Card
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
collage-640x480.jpg

A previously convicted illegal alien accused of sexually abusing an underage girl whom he is related to is racking up close to $1 million in taxpayer-funded medical bills while in Utah prison.
A report from the Salt Lake Tribune reveals the extent to which illegal aliens cost the American taxpayer.

Gerardo Valerio-Romero, a 49-year-old illegal alien from Mexico, was arrested and charged with sexually abusing an eight-year-old girl who is a relative of his. While in the custody of Utah County, the illegal alien was diagnosed with cancer and began receiving treatment.

Salt Lake Tribune reporter Taylor Anderson noted how the illegal alien’s cancer treatment — funded by Utah taxpayers — is draining the county’s budget:

Even at a discount, Valerio-Romero’s cancer treatments have drained the county jail’s medical budget. His case is set for trial early next month, and he’s caught the interest of federal immigration officials who will look at possibly deporting him if he’s acquitted. Until then, he’s in Utah’s court system, where his case is stalled and costs from his treatment continue to climb.

Valerio-Romero was previously convicted of a crime but was never deported out of the U.S. The country has an illegal alien population of about 12 million illegal aliens, costing American taxpayers about $116 billion every year.

The illegal alien’s million dollar and climbing medical bills are practically bankrupting the county. Since the illegal alien’s medical bills started racking up, the now-resigned county sheriff, Jim Tracy, has had to ask for “emergency budget help,” according to the Salt Lake Tribune.

“The solution to this problem … was adding additional money,” Tracy said. “This guy pops up with a million-dollar [problem], which we don’t even have. That’s why there was the crisis. The solution has always been from Day One you’re going to have to transfer money” to cover medical costs.

Valerio-Romero is set to stand trial on August 8 and he has pleaded not guilty to all of the sex abuse charges against him. The Salt Lake Tribune also notes that the illegal alien may have been committing identity theft to work and cash checks, using an alias.

John Binder is a reporter for Breitbart News. Follow him on Twitter at @JxhnBinder.

https://www.breitbart.com/big-gover...county-with-1m-taxpayer-funded-medical-bills/

Damn million dollars worth of medical treatment for cancer?

Wtf they doing to him.

That's the bigger story here.

Shame, imagine that will hurt other country activities, pensions, hiring, work to be done, etc.

Cheaper alternative cancer treatments could be tried. Guessing the hospital doing the treatment wants to use a more costly treatment.

Livin' the DREAM.

Shame, imagine that will hurt other country activities, pensions, hiring, work to be done, etc.

Cheaper alternative cancer treatments could be tried. Guessing the hospital doing the treatment wants to use a more costly treatment.

Depends on the type of cancer and stage. Eitherway , dude abused a kid, So they should just let him die.

Depends on the type of cancer and stage. Eitherway , dude abused a kid, So they should just let him die.

If you're an illegal immigrant and you're convicted of a felony, why aren't you deported? Seems strange.

If you're an illegal immigrant and you're convicted of a felony, why aren't you deported? Seems strange.
Sounds like he was diagnosed while receiving due process.

Should speed up his court case . If found guilty sentence him to time served or if found not guilty deport. Deport fast no matter what.

I always consider these stories misleading if the element that is assigned to the illegal immigrant would be the same for citizen.

Here, the medical bills are solely the result of being an inmate. So whether the inmate was illegal or legal or a citizen, the county would still be paying the same medical bills for a cancer patient.

As someone else noted, the real issue is the cost of the treatment.

I always consider these stories misleading if the element that is assigned to the illegal immigrant would be the same for citizen.

Here, the medical bills are solely the result of being an inmate. So whether the inmate was illegal or legal or a citizen, the county would still be paying the same medical bills for a cancer patient.

Yea, I don't care that he is illegal, but why is he getting such advance treatments? Other prisoners are not, otherwise the cost would be out the window, unless I am over looking something .

The cost for these drugs and treatments can be covered through third parties. For instance, my medication is about 50k/year. Because I make less than a certain amount per year, another payer source that is NOT my insurance is covering my copay. Granted, if they did not cover it, I would reach my out of pocket max and then stop paying after $6500 for that year.

The problem is once someone leaves their home and/or community setting and goes to a hospital, nursing home, or in this case prison, the facility now assumes cost and responsibility of treatment.

Even in a nursing home, with a commercial insurance, the cost can be covered, once reaching out of pocket max. However with Medicare and Medicaid, that is not the out of pocket max. One's best hope is to have a Medicare HMO like Careplus and Humana, that have their own pharmacies and can provide the drug (sometimes). They usually just provide injections and IVs, while the facility still has to cover the cost of oral medications.

Meh, let him die and save a million dollars.

The world won't miss him.

8 year old? We should be giving this fuck cancer not curing him

If we had a secure border, he wouldn't have been in the country to commit the crime.

Damn million dollars worth of medical treatment for cancer?

Wtf they doing to him.

That's the bigger story here.

They are charging out the ass because they know he's not paying for it.

While I hate hearing stories like this, the guy did plead "Not Guilty" to the sexual assault charges, so can we at least wait and see how the trial goes before we talk about execution for a crime he may not have committed? Obviously this all boils down to porous borders and until that's fixed this kind of stuff will just keep on happening.

Could be:

1) he was deported after the conviction but re-entered illegally before his arrest on the sex abuse charge

2) he lived in a "sanctuary" jurisdiction in which local law enforcement is forbidden from cooperating with ICE. Upon serving his sentence he was released back into the community

While I hate hearing stories like this, the guy did plead "Not Guilty" to the sexual assault charges, so can we at least wait and see how the trial goes before we talk about execution for a crime he may not have committed? Obviously this all boils down to porous borders and until that's fixed this kind of stuff will just keep on happening.
I agree with this, but if we had a secure border he wouldn't be in the country to commit either of the crimes in the first place.

I agree with this, but if we had a secure border he wouldn't be in the country to commit either of the crimes in the first place.

I'm all for securing the border and then granting amnesty, but what's the alternative in this situation? If you deport the guy he'll never stand trial for his alleged offenses. Also, it's possible he'll just cross over again and start doing the same shit in another city.

I'm all for securing the border and then granting amnesty
No, do not grant amnesty. The last time we tried that (IRCA, 1986), we gave amnesty to about 2.7 million people out of the estimated 3.2 million illegal alien population. Over the next two decades, the estimated (Pew) illegal alien population rose from 0.5 million to 12.2 million. Common sense tells me that hope for another IRCA incentivized the migration that generated that population.

what's the alternative in this situation?
There might not be a lower-cost alternative in this specific situation. My reason for creating the thread is to give an example of the cost of illegal immigration on localities and, by extension, our nation.

I'm all for securing the border and then granting amnesty, but what's the alternative in this situation? If you deport the guy he'll never stand trial for his alleged offenses. Also, it's possible he'll just cross over again and start doing the same shit in another city.

We are still going to have a big problem of people over staying their visas, which to my understanding make up most of the illegal immigrants in the United States. So why isn't that issue as important as the wall? Also we will still be paying insane amounts of money for inmates to receive medical treatment, because our health care system is all sorts of messed up.

Back