Ill be in thailand for 2 months and have whittled it down to a few camps.Input needed

bhhacker

White Belt
Reaction score
I have been reading reviews and such on muaythailand and on here but a lot are dated.

I have been training muay thai and BJJ up here in Alaska and want to really hone my standup skills and if i had the chance to continue training BJJ that would be great too.

I have no intention of being a career fighter but i do want to take a fight when i get back so getting into shape is the number 1 priority.

I am 6'1, 239lbs. 30% bodyfat so i have no doubt that whatever camp im going to will make me lose weight. Ive been training up here in alaska 20 hours a week doing two a days the past 3 weeks so i dont get my ass kicked in thailand too bad when i start.

I have a few camps im torn on going to and they are follows...

Phuket top team, Charn Chai, Sinbi.

Tiger and maybe even Top team seem a little like disneyland but i wouldnt mind getting some wrestling experience in. I find its hard to do that if you didnt wrestle in highschool.

What are your thoughts?

you ll get beaten up regardless
they are just on a different level then amateur people on the average
they do 16 hours in 2 days
but they wont beat the tar out of you

sinbi was a fun gym, I would say they are more serious then Rawai (down the road)
its close to a lot of things so training doesnt have to be the only thing you have to to, beaches great little eateries ect..
(be realistic, some days waking up at 6 to get your legs chopped just isnt appealing, then factor in injuries)

I spent a few days at tiger, its a cool gym too (and their tshirts are nice)
it might work for you since you are a bigger guy, they have a lot of farangs that come through for mma that are big guys,

the trainers out in phuket constantly change so really thats what it ll come down to
and often you ll end up working with 2-3 trainers for your stay there
but you can get privates from who ever you like

@KevinUGLee Go eat a dick. Seriously. Who would rag on someone looking to better themselves. I had to have a career ending back surgery. Fusion of the L4and L5 vertebrae. So sorry i couldnt adhere to a strict diet and training regimen.

I am not going to Thailand to train specifically. I work 6 months out of the year as a Captain on a boat in Alaska and my girlfriend wanted to go somewhere cheap with beaches. Naturally Thailand came up. Shes going with me for the first 3 weeks and then ill spend a month up here training since ill be up here already so why not?

I was looking for a gym that can help me out with technique and my endurance. Like i said, not looking to fight competitively just looking to do some local stuff up in Alaska eventually. Being that im there for a month, id like to be in a place where there ARE other things to do aside from train so a decent potential social setting would be nice too.

i think any camp will be good enough for your needs.

go to Sinbi then
if you are going for a few weeks before your girl shows up
do a month there when she shows up you ll have a week of quite/relaxing beaches and good food
and if you decide that partying and seeing more of Thailand is in order
the party islands arent that far off

I am not going to Thailand to train specifically. I work 6 months out of the year as a Captain on a boat in Alaska and my girlfriend wanted to go somewhere cheap with beaches. Naturally Thailand came up. Shes going with me for the first 3 weeks and then ill spend a month up here training since ill be up here already so why not?
No shit. I know some people who work on a barge in Alaska. They stay on Koh Samui though. But there are camps there as well... :)

I was thinking Phuket or Pattaya would just be a nice place to train and still have a lot of fun stuff to do. Im not particularly limited to them, but having beaches to go to would be nice. The BJJ and Wrestling at some of the schools...if decent would be great but if you have suggestions of other places like on koh samui im all ears.

Im in a similar position as you, Im not trying to be a pro fighter but I get 6 weeks off work this winter so I chose Sinbi and booked it just the other day. Ill be there for 3 weeks, then probably off to Fairtex Pattaya with my wife.

I mainly just train, spar and participate in smokers but I want to do a few more serious fights after I get back from Thailand. My goal is to spend half my days at Sinbi doing the whole deal (morning run, morning training, evening training). I think its unrealistic for me to sit here and say that Im going to train both sessions each day but ill do my best since ill have 3 weeks before the wife comes. Once she gets there, Ill just do one session a day at Fairtex Pattaya.

When are you planning to get there??? Im getting I booked the room for 3 weeks starting january 10th, but I may go a week earlier and stay at Tiger, then do my 3 weeks at Sinbi then head down to Pattaya with the wife....who knows, we havnt even started planning. The only thing thats planned for sure is I booked the private room for 3 weeks at Sinbi, I snore too damn loud, I dont want to subject people in a shared room to that.

If all goes well Ill get about 5 weeks of solid training with the real bulk of it at Sinbi. Sinbi was the gym I really wanted so its my priority, if I do a week before SInbi, then a week after its pretty much just to check out other gyms.

so I sor tof went on a rant there but Im also looking for 2 more week and considering
-patong boxing gym
-tiger Muay Thai
-Fairtex Pattaya
-legends issan

Pm me, let me know what you decide, it would be cool to hang out with some sherdoggers down in Thailand. Ill be there primarily for training but Im not going to pass up the opportunity for a fun night out (I can just do the afternoon session if I stay out late the night before lol).

hit me up.

You can also check fightpassport.com for gym reviews, the author reviews a lot of gyms all over Thailand

I have been reading reviews and such on muaythailand and on here but a lot are dated.

I have been training muay thai and BJJ up here in Alaska and want to really hone my standup skills and if i had the chance to continue training BJJ that would be great too.

I have no intention of being a career fighter but i do want to take a fight when i get back so getting into shape is the number 1 priority.

I am 6'1, 239lbs. 30% bodyfat so i have no doubt that whatever camp im going to will make me lose weight. Ive been training up here in alaska 20 hours a week doing two a days the past 3 weeks so i dont get my ass kicked in thailand too bad when i start.

I have a few camps im torn on going to and they are follows...

Phuket top team, Charn Chai, Sinbi.

Tiger and maybe even Top team seem a little like disneyland but i wouldnt mind getting some wrestling experience in. I find its hard to do that if you didnt wrestle in highschool.

What are your thoughts?
My advice: 2 days at Sinbi, PTT, tiger, each then decide. Consider PSG/PBG/Maximum/Sumalee/Manop/sitsongpeenong too. Don't commit until you find a place/trainer you click with. In anycase, you'll see more of the island and exploring is half the fun. You'll want to check out your sparing partners too, if there are people simliar weight/ experience, ask how long they are staying or even consider how friendly they are.

If you're not going to hire a bike then PSG/maximum/Chang are all walking distance to the beach. Chang has a nicer beach altough I've heard the gym is going downhill. Patong beach is a mess(was a mess when i was there).

PBG is "one to one" training.

I've been to Thailand twice already this year 4 weeks then 2 weeks I'm itching to go back. Seriously considering quitting my day job :cool:

Last edited:
Pattaya is shit for muay thai. If you like beaches, good weather, and a great training environment go for Phuket or Koh Samui/Phangan. I like Phuket because lots of people go there to train muay thai and it has something for everyone. Sinbi is great. PTT or maximum for mma stuff.

Pattaya is shit for muay thai. If you like beaches, good weather, and a great training environment go for Phuket or Koh Samui/Phangan. I like Phuket because lots of people go there to train muay thai and it has something for everyone. Sinbi is great. PTT or maximum for mma stuff.

Thoughts on the ""legendary" Sityodtong in Pattaya?

I dunno....I had a good time at fairtex parttaya when I was there. There seemed to be plenty of gyms in town with lots I people training.

Last edited:
I work 6 months out of the year as a Captain on a boat in Alaska

Captain Phillips?

Phuket is great. Tons of good training and good food. I think I remember hearing very negative things about top team... Haven't been myself though. I'd avoid pattaya, I don't think it will be what you're looking for.

Thought about the camps in Bangkok?

I dunno....I had a good time at fairtex parttaya when I was there. There seemed to be plenty of gyms in town with lots I people training.

Hated my time at Fairtex Pattaya. This was in 2010.

Are the prices on sinbi's site pretty typical for training in Thailand?

I just spent all of July in Phuket and trained at both PTT and TMT. I mostly did Muay Thai and boxing at Tiger and wrestling and boxing at PTT.

My first recommendation is DON'T sign up for a week or longer of sessions. There is virtually no financial benefit for signing up for a longer period of time. Just pay session by session or day by day. At PTT, I got a card for 10 sessions. At TMT I paid 1/2 day or, more usually, full day rates.

The group MT sessions at TMT are good for getting in shape - imagine 3 hr sessions outside. The classes are larger than PTT and there are more facilities. While TMT has MMA and wrestling, I preferred my time at PTT with the Leone brothers. It just clicked better for me. Both have very good BJJ as well.

I stayed off site but within walking distance to both camps. I didn't realize how far away the beach was - you will need to rent a scooter or hire a taxi. But I was there for training anyways and not beach time. If you stay on site, you will connect better with the trainers and the other participants. Great healthy food is available all over the area.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your time. You will get out of it whatever you put into it.

How much would you roughly need if you are there for 2 months?

Back