If you're being objective you have to admit Conor's resume is insane

I agree with MOST of your post. Connor has an amazing resume and was definitely looking like one of the greatest Featherweights of all time.

I disagree with 2 points you made:

Then you factor in first ever simultaneous 2 weight champion.
Hendo did it before Connor. Hendo was already the Welterweight World Champion and then KO'ed Wanderlei to also become Middleweight Champ of the World. Hendo actually fought fellow legends to defend BOTH titles too. Connor never even attempted to defend.

At this point you have to be absolutely shitfaced to not admit Conor is at least top 10-15 all time.
No. Absolutely not. Connor was an amazing fighter but his resume pales in comparison to guys like:

Fedor
Anderson
Aldo
Hendo
Big Nog
Werdum
Jon Jones
GSP
Demetrious Johnson
Daniel Cormier
Matt Hughes
Alistair Overeem
Randy Couture
Chuck Liddell
Wanderlei Silva
Vitor Belfort
Israel Adesanya
Alexander Volkanovski
Josh Barnett
Lyoto Machida

That's already 20 guys. Connor is not top 20. Possibly top 30 or top 40. No disrespect to Connor. He was very good. He just didn't have as many big wins as all those guys above

His resume is not great at all imo.The only impressive win is Aldo and that could be considered a fluke imo. Anyone can get a quick KO, it doesn't always mean it's the better fighter that won. Poirier and Max were just kids (especially Max) when they lost. Mendez had been hunting and drinking 2 weeks prior and gassed in that fight after he was winning easy.

Conor also won the LW belt from arguably the worst LW champ in history. Then you have to figure that he never defended shit, not a good look.

Last edited:
He really does have a good resume but he got fat and rich pretty quick and I think that dramatically affected his career trajectory. He's sort of a what if. No I wouldn't put him 10 all time in terms of skill but he's number 1 in terms of career significance and his Aldo knockout was a thing of history.

He had a decent run for a while, but it's been over so long that I've kind of forgotten about it. There have been so many guys who've had great runs since and they all seem to reside above him skill-wise. Even Halloway and Poirier have seemingly surpassed him. Volk probably would've mauled him, and Khabib did.

If Conor wasn't Conor, people would probably treat him like Cejudo. Good run and all, but it's over now and he's become just another guy. The mid-2010s are ancient history at this point.

Last edited:
He has a good resume not an all time great resume but he does have two ATG performances with the Aldo, and Alvarez wins.

I do not like Connor but when he fights win or lose they are always bangers

Conor was the first to give Aldo a loss in how many years? He couldn't have beaten him any cleaner.

You can't say his path to the lightweight belt was undeserving when he put an absolute masterclass on the champion at the time. Beating the champ trump's whatever arbitrary work you think he needs to do to get there.

Him not defending the double belts status is an unfair metric. He was chasing a 50mil+ or so fight with Floyd Mayweather. It set him up so he never has to work again. If given the opportunity, most people would have done the same thing.

That MMA to boxing crossover fight is historic. It opened the door for others to follow a similar route.

Even if you're an MMA purest, regardless of placement, McGregor absolutely deserves mention.

His resume is not great at all imo.The only impressive win is Aldo and that could be considered a fluke imo. Anyone can get a quick KO, it doesn't always mean it's the better fighter that won. Poirier and Max was just kids (especially Max) when they lost. Mendez had been hunting and drinking 2 weeks prior and gassed in that fight after he was winning easy.

Conor also won the LW belt from arguably the worst LW champ in history. Then you have to figure that he never defended shit, not a good look.
Max was just a little baby at the time but you can’t really use that excuse with DP imo he was ranked number 5 at FW and already had 12 fights under the UFC/WEC banner

I know the popular thing to do nowadays is hate on Conor and pretend like he's a bum. And I'll be honest sometimes I follow along with the nonsense too.

But I recently took a look at Conor's resume and I was surprised by how absolutely loaded it is. If you removed his name and replaced it with any other fighter, you would all be saying that person is one of the greatest of all times. But since it's Conor we just make up excuses for why his accomplishments are small and he was overrated all along

But let's take a look. He has wins over Max, Aldo, Poirier, Mendes, Alvarez, Diaz, and Cerrone. Absolutely insane list of some of the greats of MMA. Then you factor in first ever simultaneous 2 weight champion. Oh, and also factor in 9 consecutive PPVs with 1 million+ buys.

At this point you have to be absolutely shitfaced to not admit Conor is at least top 10-15 all time.

cowboy aint no great at all.. and he plainef froze/took a dive against colin

His resume at 155 is 2nd to none!!!!

Insane? You're insane TS.

What he DID for MMA in terms of salary, at least for some...yes, is insane.

The record is just "good", given what everyone has already said.

it actually isnt super impressive when you list the names. all anyone can remember is him getting smeshed by khabib

I'm glad you acknowledge the popular thing to do these days is hate on Conor. Yeah, it is. Most people are sheep. It's why we get such a bad rap. People are so fairweather it's disgusting... People will look for, and eventually find, a reason to complain about... literally everyone. Especially after a loss or a run of absence. Like it wasn't their choice to start fighting for our entertainment in the first place.

Conor was the first to give Aldo a loss in how many years? He couldn't have beaten him any cleaner.

You can't say his path to the lightweight belt was undeserving when he put an absolute masterclass on the champion at the time. Beating the champ trump's whatever arbitrary work you think he needs to do to get there.

Him not defending the double belts status is an unfair metric. He was chasing a 50mil+ or so fight with Floyd Mayweather. It set him up so he never has to work again. If given the opportunity, most people would have done the same thing.

That MMA to boxing crossover fight is historic. It opened the door for others to follow a similar route.

Even if you're an MMA purest, regardless of placement, McGregor absolutely deserves mention.
Lots of guys could become champ if they could skip all the contenders right to a title shot, while the champ was someone stylistically favorable. It's a good win but that's all it is.

Top 10-15. Lol. Anyone over top 5 is forgotten.

If he never lost, he would of been good

But let's take a look. He has wins over Max, Aldo, Poirier, Mendes, Alvarez, Diaz, and Cerrone. Absolutely insane list of some of the greats of MMA.
Mendez, Alvarez, and Cerrone fights looked fake to me.

Conor never had a title reign.

Conor is 3-4 after is FW run. Yeah one the LW belt after that, in-between his wins/losses, but never defended anything.

Title wins:
Aldo, Alvarez
Non-title wins:
Mendes, Poirier, Holloway
2nd greatest featherweight, top 5 lightweight all time, one of the best featherweights to never win a belt, one of the best lightweights to never win a belt, 4 title wins and unbeaten at featherweight to fighters not named volk since 2014
Pretty good resume

Conor's run to the FW title and the way he beat Aldo with mind games was impressive and the Alvarez fight too. He had a small window of being a great fighter but he never defended a belt so he will be remembered more for what he did on the business side of the sport than his fight legacy.

Back