If you're being objective you have to admit Conor's resume is insane

Seahawks Fan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I know the popular thing to do nowadays is hate on Conor and pretend like he's a bum. And I'll be honest sometimes I follow along with the nonsense too.

But I recently took a look at Conor's resume and I was surprised by how absolutely loaded it is. If you removed his name and replaced it with any other fighter, you would all be saying that person is one of the greatest of all times. But since it's Conor we just make up excuses for why his accomplishments are small and he was overrated all along

But let's take a look. He has wins over Max, Aldo, Poirier, Mendes, Alvarez, Diaz, and Cerrone. Absolutely insane list of some of the greats of MMA. Then you factor in first ever simultaneous 2 weight champion. Oh, and also factor in 9 consecutive PPVs with 1 million+ buys.

At this point you have to be absolutely shitfaced to not admit Conor is at least top 10-15 all time.

Diaz is not a good win Max was a 12-year-old. Poirier was young in his career too and then ended up beating Conor twice. He has no title defenses. If you have zero title defenses you cannot be eligible for being top 10 of all time. he only got the Eddie because of his star power not because he actually earned it. He does have great wins that have aged very well, but there’s also so many Asterix to his career.

I’m also have convinced this is a troll thread because you’re taking into account pay-per-view sales as to why someone can be an all-time great

I always thought UFC did a disservice to Aldo by not giving him a rematch.

Not an auto, but there were periods down the line where it was like "ok, it makes sense here, here".

Conor was hit or miss.

Not an auto, but there were periods down the line where it was like "ok, it makes sense here, here".

Conor was hit or miss.
Rematch would have only happened at 155 because Conor had no intention of returning to FW

I think the real objective facts are that he was well on his way to being the greatest featherweight of all time, until he abandoned the division. Wins over Poirier, Mendes, and a young Holloway, then an incredible knock out against Aldo was really the stuff of legends. However after moving up, he really only had one great win,against Eddie Alvarez. Admittedly, it was an incredible performance, but one win can't keep you in the all time great discussion.

Above featherweight he has that one win against Alvarez, went 1-1 against Diaz, and beat the ghost of Donald Cerrone, that's it. He actually has a losing record in the UFC above featherweight. You might be able to justify a top 20 ranking, but it's probably a stretch.

Conor was hit or miss.

"Anytime. Anyplace".

His run up from 145 to 155 was very good. Young Max and Nate are meh wins imo but if you only care about names then sure. Dustin would come into his own later but was still a very good FW. Mendes and Aldo are obviously great wins. Beating Eddie like that was a great performance.

His resume is undoubtedly good. If he would have stuck around and defended he'd probably be looked at more favorably by most of his critics

Not "insane" at all. Good, yes.

At FW it's pretty good, at LW yeah not so much...

The first ones are impressive.
Aldo. FW goat.
Max. FW #3 all time.
Mendes. Best FW to not win a belt.

Diaz, Cerone and Alveraz are good, but not great.

Objectively, those wins look better than they really are. His wins against Poirer and Max are meaningless because of when they took place; both are likely to tank Conor now. Poirer already has twice. Aldo was old and Conor was weight bullying in a way he could never repeat. Cerrone was old. He is 1-1 against Nate, so that one isn't impressive. Who could Conor beat now? He would be lucky to be in the top 40.

With Conor, you want to stick to his commercial appeal if you are going to swing from his nuts, because that is the only place where he has true greatness.

I know the popular thing to do nowadays is hate on Conor and pretend like he's a bum. And I'll be honest sometimes I follow along with the nonsense too.

But I recently took a look at Conor's resume and I was surprised by how absolutely loaded it is. If you removed his name and replaced it with any other fighter, you would all be saying that person is one of the greatest of all times. But since it's Conor we just make up excuses for why his accomplishments are small and he was overrated all along

But let's take a look. He has wins over Max, Aldo, Poirier, Mendes, Alvarez, Diaz, and Cerrone. Absolutely insane list of some of the greats of MMA. Then you factor in first ever simultaneous 2 weight champion. Oh, and also factor in 9 consecutive PPVs with 1 million+ buys.

At this point you have to be absolutely shitfaced to not admit Conor is at least top 10-15 all time.
We talking about the same guy that hasn't won a meaningful fight in well over half a decade?

Yeah most people aren't gonna have someone with zero defenses in their top ten. He has a good resume but it is not goat level.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back