If you wanted to make a badass martial arts action scene?

If i was a director i would hire the raid guys to do all my fighting scenes from now on

q8cJ6dv.gif

That aside, I'd pick the latter option you provided. Its a movie, there's no guarantee MMA fighters can act. Action stars who can act, get them with a coach for the duration of the film so go over the moves needed for the film and scene(s).

Donnie Yen did a good job in Flashpoint, he's not a competitive fighter.

To bad we can't resurrect his dad to star. He's still my favorite martial arts actor

the seed!

i read some article about the whole clan a while back. some major daddy issues going on.

must have old school kung fu sound effects

If it was going to be badass, I'd make sure it had realistic damage and consequences.

No messing around, I'd hire Donnie Yen in a heartbeat. He often integrates mma moves (locks, throws, muay thai etc) into his fight scenes to great effect and imo he gets the balance between realism and mass appeal just right.

giphy.gif

Watching and training MMA has ruined so many movie fight scenes for me...

Shit looks fake

Until UFC 3, I was utterly convinced that martial arts fights consisted of men standing roughly 6 feet apart, trading undefended roundhouse kicks to the head.

So imagine for a second you are a hollywood producer.

If you wanted to make an entertaining martial arts action scene would you rather hire a MMA fighter like they have done with Rousey, Carano, GSP etc. or would you rather hire someone trained in sets and forms like Jet Li who does non contact training?

I am hiring the hottest girl just out of high school to have the sex with her and then have her paint my fence and sand my deck and wax me off.

I'd hire the hottest woman who would sleep with me for the part.

Depends on the type of fight scene. Even swordfight scenes are usually terribly inaccurate, the best I recall seeing was Rob Roy but there have still been fun ones even if they were very unrealistic.

I would prefer someone who is a good physical actor who would be willing to train for the role. An already established martial artist tends to already have his thing, and MMA fighter more often than not make terrible fake fight scenes (I don't get how).

I would prefer it looking like naked Viggo Mortensen in Eastern Promises than Bloodsport or the matrix.

Someone like Jet Li/fight choreographer

Steven Seagal Vs Nam Phan in Times Square.

Akira Kurosawa.

Or alternatively I think it would be cool to have a LINE or MCMAP instructor outline some of the basic methodologies and responses to this or that approach, then also have an ER doctor as a consultant on physiology and then have fight scenes where the uber-badass hero is doing blink-or-you'll miss it shit. Like a guy grabs him so he slices that big fat vein or artery or whatever it is just on the inside of the upper arm. But not Kill Bill hack the arm off kinda thing, just moves really quick and nicks it and moves off to the next. Using a pretty small blade. You'd be pausing and rewinding the one scene for days trying to work out quite just what he did. Still a Hollywood invincible untouchable badass but not flying round on wires or scissor kicking someone in the back of the head.

So imagine for a second you are a hollywood producer.

If you wanted to make an entertaining martial arts action scene would you rather hire a MMA fighter like they have done with Rousey, Carano, GSP etc. or would you rather hire someone trained in sets and forms like Jet Li who does non contact training?

HIRE HIM NOW:

[YT]TYGvmqYoKX4[/YT]

Back