If you wanted to make a badass martial arts action scene?

karatekick1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So imagine for a second you are a hollywood producer.

If you wanted to make an entertaining martial arts action scene would you rather hire a MMA fighter like they have done with Rousey, Carano, GSP etc. or would you rather hire someone trained in sets and forms like Jet Li who does non contact training?

Chuck Norris v Steven Seagal; a fight to the death match, in the octagon.

I'd hire Rorion Gracie. He choreographed the fight scenes in Lethal Weapon, which were pretty awesome. Like the end when Mel Gibson puts Gary Busey in a triangle choke, and then snaps his neck with it. Some realistic techniques, with just enough Hollywood fantasy element to make it fun.

Don't care, as long as they are head to toe in tapout gear, that is all that matters.

Yuen Woo Ping

Any Yuen posse member will do. Woo Ping, Shun Yi, Biaio, Corey, Simon.

Corey and Shun Yi go to work with Lionface/Alan Hsu in Born Invincible(1978)...

[YT]zQwPbLdzrB0[/YT]

As long as all the combatants emulate a different animal, I'm good with it.

I'd cast an Imanari or Paul Harris and have them flying into atomic leglocks or some shit. Would be amazing. I'd call it 'Every white guy was harmed in the making of this film'

Watching and training MMA has ruined so many movie fight scenes for me...

Shit looks fake

They should just stop making fight scenes altogether. It's been done to death and is now boring. Ong Bak was pretty cool I guess. It was still over the top fake though.

Movies where big name actors like Matt Damon in Bourne are doing some ridiculous Krav/Kung Fu/Aikido hybrid with choppy editing just ruins the movie for me.

Sometimes the best scenes are when pro wrestler type guys like The Rock don't do anything fancy and just brutalize people.

If I were choreographing such a scene, I'd probably throw some MMA style stuff in there, but I'd want the action to flow like in a kung fu movie.

Iko Uwais for hire and someone who has a lot of credits with choreography. Guy is just waiting for that one big vehicle to push him into super stardom. He has a lot more charisma then a guy like Tony Jaa too. That would be my go-to if money and scheduling weren't an issue.

I wouldn't go MMA. Real life skills don't always apply to movies. It's not as flashy or showy.

Yuen Woo Ping

2565863-3853767-4957010%2B_3d402eb6c781d9c88cd3419c33f6e390.png

I'd hire steven seagull, who gets hired by MMA artists

win win

Something I've never seen, even in movies like Warrior, is a remotely realistic fight in the sense of damage taken.

Ever since the Rocky movies it's seemed like guys eat haymaker after haymaker and only ever go down after taking Cain VS JDS II/III levels of punishment.

Ong-Bak and the Raid are cool and all but I classify them almost as action-fantasy in the way people fight.

Something I've never seen, even in movies like Warrior, is a remotely realistic fight in the sense of damage taken.

Ever since the Rocky movies it's seemed like guys eat haymaker after haymaker and only ever go down after taking Cain VS JDS II/III levels of punishment.

Ong-Bak and the Raid are cool and all but I classify them almost as action-fantasy in the way people fight.

It's hollywood. If people want to watch someone get KO'ed with one good punch they can watch MMA or Boxing. It's style over substance when it comes to action flicks. Still if you can make the action visceral, gritty and brutal it's better then the stupid wire-fu shit like in Hero or Matrix.

Its not usually the haymakers that knock people out, its a jab to the jaw that they didn't see coming. Often times they don't even look like they solidly connect.

It's hollywood. If people want to watch someone get KO'ed with one good punch they can watch MMA or Boxing. It's style over substance when it comes to action flicks. Still if you can make the action visceral, gritty and brutal it's better then the stupid wire-fu shit like in Hero or Matrix.

Interesting, you were just praising Yuen Woo Ping and now you're trashing the choreography in The Matrix.

Back