• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

If you think gane did enough in the 5th against ngannou…

I thought Gane made 1 mistake that cost him the fight.

Always laugh at the “NNN won on a bad knee”. Dude showed zero signs of his knee being compromised and was shooting power doubles ffs.

Now I’m not disputing he needed a surgery (like many athletes do) just often they’re still able to compete and the entire “one knee Francis” is a major exaggeration to dismiss Gane winning on the feet.

He got the surgery he needed a month and a half after the fight. But the entire “he fought on one leg” was extremely hyperbolic by his camp. He made it through a 5 round fight showing zero signs of issues. We all know that the last thing you’ll do on bad knees is shoot doubles.

View attachment 1044578View attachment 1044579

View attachment 1044580
Francis was grinding his knees into the canvas quite a bit of the fight and bouncing around just fine on them. He wasn’t this fragile one legged Thiago Santos people made him out to be.
I’ve always thought the same, you don’t do that with bad knees. People who have wrestled will know and tell you that.

I thought Gane made 1 mistake that cost him the fight.

Always laugh at the “NNN won on a bad knee”. Dude showed zero signs of his knee being compromised and was shooting power doubles ffs.

Now I’m not disputing he needed a surgery (like many athletes do) just often they’re still able to compete and the entire “one knee Francis” is a major exaggeration to dismiss Gane winning on the feet.

He got the surgery he needed a month and a half after the fight. But the entire “he fought on one leg” was extremely hyperbolic by his camp. He made it through a 5 round fight showing zero signs of issues. We all know that the last thing you’ll do on bad knees is shoot doubles.

View attachment 1044578View attachment 1044579

View attachment 1044580
Francis was grinding his knees into the canvas quite a bit of the fight and bouncing around just fine on them. He wasn’t this fragile one legged Thiago Santos people made him out to be.
He pushed trough the pain

Take all the grappling out. 13>7 landed

You are choosing what you want to see and ignoring what you don't want to see. You dismiss control but then give credit to Gane for TDs. TDs that do not result in CONTROL are literally dismissed in the UNIFIED RULES.
Per unified rules

” It shall be noted that a successful takedown is not merely a changing of position, but the establishment of an attack from the use of the takedown. Top and bottom position fighters are assessed more on the impactful/effective result of their actions, more so than their position. This criterion will be the deciding factor in a high majority of decisions when scoring a round. The next two criteria must be treated as a backup and used ONLY when Effective Striking/Grappling is 100% equal for the round."
Gane never established any control and did not establish an attack. He was in fact reversed. Control is part of GRAPPLING and since the striking was 100% in Ngannou's favour and GRAPPLING was 100% in Ngannou's favour you are out of your depth if you are Honestly arguing Gane won the 5th. Claiming Gane's 7 whole strikes landed were IMPACTUL and Ngannou's 13 strikes were pitty pat punches is as lame as Gane's TDD.

Gane lost and it was pretty unanimous. Just so you know water is wet, Diamonds are hard, Jon is a cheater. All facts you might just want to accept.
You quote the rules when it says the establishment of an attack, and use that to say establishment of control? Control is not an attack. An attack is an attack. Gane establishing an attack by going for submissions is what makes his takedown successful. He did something with the takedown he achieved so he gets points. Ngannou got a reversal which scores, and then did nothing, no attack was established

“Control is part of grappling” but control time isn’t, so what you said is irrelevant. Half guard is essentially a 50/50 position

Also, if you can’t see that gane landed the best strikes of the round then you’re just being obtuse. A step in elbow on the feet is a bigger shot than a tap on the ground

I’m not a jon jones fan

He got 2min of top control, in a round where little happened on the feet. Sub attempts should not score since they did produce a negative result.

If you want to rewrite scorecards, fine. There is a better case for Ngannou winning round 1 (and 1 judge gave it to him, as well as several media scorers).
Control time doesn’t score for anything, gane landed more on the feet, got a takedown which established an attack where he went for submission attempts. Gane won the round

You quote the rules when it says the establishment of an attack, and use that to say establishment of control? Control is not an attack. An attack is an attack. Gane establishing an attack by going for submissions is what makes his takedown successful. He did something with the takedown he achieved so he gets points. Ngannou got a reversal which scores, and then did nothing, no attack was established

“Control is part of grappling” but control time isn’t, so what you said is irrelevant. Half guard is essentially a 50/50 position

Also, if you can’t see that gane landed the best strikes of the round then you’re just being obtuse. A step in elbow on the feet is a bigger shot than a tap on the ground

I’m not a jon jones fan
Yeah a tap on the ground. Go check the 5th round stats again Charlie. Not one strike on the ground. The Grappling is won by Francis but as I said lets throw that out the window completely.

13>7 Nothing landed by Gane was so much more impactful. He lost get over it.

Yeah a tap on the ground. Go check the 5th round stats again Charlie. Not one strike on the ground. The Grappling is won by Francis but as I said lets throw that out the window completely.

13>7 Nothing landed by Gane was so much more impactful. He lost get over it.
The grappling wasn’t won by Francis. Gane had the takedown and the submission attempts. Ngannou had a reversal. Gane did more

And I just watched the 5th round stand up again, I had the strikes 2 to 5 for gane, including a step in elbow that gets a decent reaction from ngannou

there’s no argument for ngannou winning that doesn’t involve ignoring the judging criteria

nganou has 1 ability
that he can knock anyone out
the same ability every HW posseses

in short hes not even special

lol at his wins over 40 year old should be retired fighters
his fans claim those wins where legit lmao.
i mean look at his resume its laughable

but would argue that stipe beat old fighters
haha

Control time doesn’t score for anything, gane landed more on the feet, got a takedown which established an attack where he went for submission attempts. Gane won the round
Fine. Gane wins rounds 5, Ngannou round 1. 48-47 Ngannou. See, everything's in order.

lol at his wins over 40 year old should be retired fighters
his fans claim those wins where legit lmao.
i mean look at his resume its laughable

but would argue that stipe beat old fighters
haha
Ngannou has never faced a fighter older than 38.
And he has faced multiple young fighters: Blaydes (2x), Rozenstruik, Gane, all undefeated before facing Ngannou.

Stipe's last 2 wins were over 40 and 41 years old DC.

I know Francis is wholesome and made le evil dana white look stupid but that fight really highlighted how dreadful heavyweight is. I honestly don't remember Ngannou landing a single strike in round 5, Gane out landed him, took him down and attempted subs, big Frank reversed him and heavily breathed for 2 minutes.

Anyone on Sherdog can go make a Youtube video to explain why they thought their favourite fighter won. 1 media scored it for Gane, vast overwhelming majority of Sherdog & the public considered it the right decision. Jones win over Reyes is considered far more controversial, as the majority of media & Sherdog & public scored it for Reyes

Fine. Gane wins rounds 5, Ngannou round 1. 48-47 Ngannou. See, everything's in order.

Ngannou has never faced a fighter older than 38.
And he has faced multiple young fighters: Blaydes (2x), Rozenstruik, Gane, all undefeated before facing Ngannou.

Stipe's last 2 wins were over 40 and 41 years old DC.
Alright mate

Anyone on Sherdog can go make a Youtube video to explain why they thought their favourite fighter won. 1 media scored it for Gane, vast overwhelming majority of Sherdog & the public considered it the right decision. Jones win over Reyes is considered far more controversial, as the majority of media & Sherdog & public scored it for Reyes
What is it with people in this thread bringing up jones reyes? Jones lost to reyes, what does that have to do with ngannou vs gane?

And it doesn’t matter what sherdoggers or the media think, just becuase most people believe something doesn’t make it true. People still talk about control time as if that term is even in the scoring criteria, it’s not

If you believe Reyes won the first three rounds against Jon then not only is Pereira the actual LHW champ but also the lineal champ. This is a fun game

….Then that means jones is the lineal heavyweight champion

I know I’ll get some replies like “no way you think gane win the 5th, ngannou laid on top of him for half the round!”
but I think at this point there are a lot more people who realise actual impact wins fights, not smudging

Gane had more strikes, a takedown, and a submission attempt. Ngannou had a reversal and a few mosquito punches on the ground

So if you think gane win the 5th, then that means gane won the belt that night, defended it against tuivasa, and lost it to jones

I’m not a jones fan, maybe one of you has argued with me about him and can attest to that

But I don’t think a reversal and half guard is worth more than what gane did
I came back to sherdog for a day and it's exactly the same as a decade ago. Oh i love it and I hate it at the same time

If you believe Reyes won the first three rounds against Jon then not only is Pereira the actual LHW champ but also the lineal champ. This is a fun game
I mean, yeah, he is. But I thought santos also beat jones, so that would be santos, then glover, then jiri, then hill, then pereira

Not everyone on sherdog has more 100k in subs and is considered one of the leading channels on MMA scoring.

The grappling wasn’t won by Francis. Gane had the takedown and the submission attempts. Ngannou had a reversal. Gane did more

And I just watched the 5th round stand up again, I had the strikes 2 to 5 for gane, including a step in elbow that gets a decent reaction from ngannou

there’s no argument for ngannou winning that doesn’t involve ignoring the judging criteria
You are ignoring 13-7 for Francis and claim 2-5 in favour of Gane. Who is ignoring what now?

TD that gets reversed = 0. Getting controlled for half the round = winning the grappling. Someone controlling you doesn't outweigh striking but if we only judge the grappling getting controlled 50 % of the round and the rest of the time is on the feet = LOSING the GRAPPLING.

Gane lost the striking. You not seeing it doesn't mean it didn't happen. There is a saying if a tree falls and no one is there to hear it did it make a sound. But no one tries to claim the tree never fell. Claiming Gane won the striking is you claiming the tree never fell.

What is it with people in this thread bringing up jones reyes? Jones lost to reyes, what does that have to do with ngannou vs gane?

And it doesn’t matter what sherdoggers or the media think, just becuase most people believe something doesn’t make it true. People still talk about control time as if that term is even in the scoring criteria, it’s not
You're 1 random guy on the internet who thinks Gane won. Why does your opinion trump that of almost everyone else? At the time of the fight, it wasn't a robbery. You trying to go back in time & make it something its not

Back