If you need a 165 division

You call that successful???

You're cherry picking and ignoring all of the people who failed in moving up in weight. The actual rank doesn't matter, the delta rank matters. In other words, if someone was top 5 at 155, and can't make the top 5 at 170, then that is not successful, that is a failure. Likewise, if a fighter was top 20 at 155, and top 20 at 170, then that is neither successful nor a failure. We need to look at every fighter that attempted the transition from 155 to 170, and then look at their rank in each division before and after. The average change in ranking will give you an unbiased answer.

Only Jorge Masdival truly had a successful move from 155 to 170. The jury is still out on Chiesa, as all of his opponents were clearly washed up. RDA was the 155 champ but couldn't beat any legitimate top 5 welterweights. That is a failure.

Yeah, I call it successful if someone can move up a weight class and reach top 10-15 in the world, regardless of whether they were better at the lower weight class. They are still competitive so to me, it proves that the weight gap between 155 to 170 is not HUGE. It obviously has an impact, that's why there are weight classes, but it's not any worse than another weight class move, say 170 to 185 or 185 to 205.

So a 175 division ? Will you then complain about 175 being 5 pound too big for those who are just right at 170 ?

Nah. LHW and HW already lack depth. A weight class between the two would make them even crappier.
Whereas 155 and 170 have been historically the most populated divisions and the range in which most in-shape adult men weigh..
165 is a good idea.
Further diluting the 2 heaviest weight class is about the worst idea I can think of.

Jesus Christ you fucking people, wake up.

Nick Diaz tweeted in September of 2018 "how about a 165 title fight then?" in an attempt to get more money for a fight against Poirier.

It didn't work.

There has been no real talk about 165 since. Only fan chatter. For 16 goddamn months and counting.

So shut the fuck up already lol. This isn't a thing. And arguing against this non-topic is helping keep the chatter going just as much as supporting the non-topic does.

There has been chatter from other fighters calling for a 165lb division, but Dana called it out saying the only people asking for it are guys who can't win a belt at either 155 or 170. And with Nate, Poirier and Kevin Lee going on record begging for it Dana doesn't appear wrong.

But your characterization of this as a non-topic is 100% on the money.

factor in Champ Champ World
Neotardisms = Retarded neologisms coined by morons and snake oil sellers, parroted by noobs and harebrained lemming types

Neotardisms = Retarded neologisms coined by morons and snake oil sellers, parroted by noobs and harebrained lemming types
Yeah, but you just coined a new phrase....so you're a retard by your own definition.

<Deported1>

Makes sense for the talent but not the weight difference. Fuck the individual MMA athlete, I'm just saying what would be fair in terms of weight classes. If an MMA great can't beat someone in his own weight class because there's a GOAT there, then that's just too fucking bad

Makes sense for the fans. More deep competitive divisions is good. More shallow garbage divisions is bad.

People seem to think it would be some magical weight class where only the fighters that are ideal for it would be, there would still be bigger fighters cutting down to it and the ones you made the weight class for still lose to the same damn people. And then the ones that you made the class for that still can’t win will do what they always do when they lose a few, they’ll change weight class. Same shit different number. What then? A 164 lb weight class?

Yeah, but you just coined a new phrase....so you're a retard by your own definition.

<Deported1>
Tell me something I don't know. But not by my own definition I'm not selling smoke or snake oil, claiming that going 1-1 with a Journeyman grants a fight for a belt against another journeyman made an accidental champion, that makes you some superlative GOAT.

These dumb fucks... Do you guys forget that the whole point of creating a weight class is to PROTECT smaller fighters? They weren't created just because the UFC wanted to have "many champions"

Who are you protecting with this new 165 division? WHO? You are just giving a belt to guys like Poirier, Diaz and Convigton that can't win at 155 or 170. There is NOBODY at 170 that you can mention that is losing all the time because they are too little for 170ers but also too big for 155ers and can't make that weight.

So shut the fuck up. 155 and 170 will always be the most stacked divisions. Having many fighters it's NOT WHY YOU CREATE A NEW DIVISION.

Hell having so many fighters moving up and down screwing up the rankings it's a good argument to MERGE these 2 divisions and have a super stacked 165 ONLY. That will stop the whole "I'm moving up/down because I can't win the belt here" problem we have now.

Yeah, I call it successful if someone can move up a weight class and reach top 10-15 in the world, regardless of whether they were better at the lower weight class. They are still competitive so to me, it proves that the weight gap between 155 to 170 is not HUGE. It obviously has an impact, that's why there are weight classes, but it's not any worse than another weight class move, say 170 to 185 or 185 to 205.
Well, you'd be wrong then.

If someone can be top 20 at 155 and move up to 170 and be top 10, then I'd agree with you. And in rare cases that can happen -- especially when fighters are cutting way too much weight at the lower class. For example, both Thiago Santos and Anthony Smith moved successfully from 185 to 205, because they were cutting such extreme amounts of weight to make 185 that it was hindering their performance.

But in fact this just supports my point that the 20 pound gap between 185 and 205 is too much.

Please no. Ufc just needs to instruct fighters to fight at their best weight class snd move certain people up. I.e, if someone is struggling to make 55 move then up but also do the same with 70 pounders struggling, so that you're left with divisions with people who belong in said divisions. Also so that you don't prejudice those who move up, because FKL, for instance would suck at 170 because there people there who walk around at 200.

Back