If you need a 165 division

There should be less weight clssses, not more

if they make 165, then

they should remove 170 n 155

That's exactly what would happen.

Any fighter who can't win a belt at 155 or 170 will be jumping into that new weight class.
Except 170 would move to 175 ... so that wouldn't really happen.

That's ridiculous. Things are not fine the way they are.

155 to 170 is too big a gap for such a small weight. And a 20 pound gap between 185 and 205? Ridiculous.

Welterweight and middleweight should be re-aligned to 155, 165, 175, 190, 205. That would accomodate more fighters stuck between weight classes. For example, Yoel Romero is one such fighter. He's clearly too big for 185, but just a bit too small for 205. The result is him depleting himself too much to make weight, and missing it sometimes. A 190 weight class would see fewer middleweights miss weight, and also fewer middleweights fighting undersized at 205 (because they can't quite cut to 185).

Similarly, you've got fighters like Colby Covington and Nate Diaz that are too big for 155, but probably a bit too small for 170. 165 would be a perfect weight class for them.
I'd even be tempted to eliminate LHW.

190/195
195+

155 to 170 is too big a gap for such a small weight. And a 20 pound gap between 185 and 205? Ridiculous.

Welterweight and middleweight should be re-aligned to 155, 165, 175, 190, 205. That would accomodate more fighters stuck between weight classes. For example, Yoel Romero is one such fighter. He's clearly too big for 185, but just a bit too small for 205. The result is him depleting himself too much to make weight, and missing it sometimes. A 190 weight class would see fewer middleweights miss weight, and also fewer middleweights fighting undersized at 205 (because they can't quite cut to 185).

Similarly, you've got fighters like Colby Covington and Nate Diaz that are too big for 155, but probably a bit too small for 170. 165 would be a perfect weight class for them.

Less supplements for muscles and he is good to go

Yeah let’s destroy MMA like boxing did by having a million different weight classes and let champs freely move between 3-4 weight classes and hold up the divisions. This is the absolute dumbest thing the UFC could ever do. UFC has gotten worse and worse for regular fans over the years with watered down crap cards every week or so, adding pointless weight classes for guys that don’t have the skills to become champ in a regular weight class will make it even worse.

The 165 champ would likely pull a GDR and relinquish the belt if the 155 or 170 champ came knocking for their rubbish belt.

n then demand a new 160 pound division n use same agruments used for 165 division

This is why I don’t care about belts.

i'm down for a 165 division, and moving 170 to 175 (or some % difference like some suggest), but yeah i only find title fights intriguing when someone who's been dominate for a while, like GSP and Jones's streaks...just to see if someone will knock them off the mountain

You admit it's easier to fight Nate for a belt then go to WW or LW and get a real belt.

5 pounds difference ?

I might gain 5 pounds after 2 days of eating with the water retention.

New belt = easier to get more money.
Then WW wont be 170, adding a new division means others will adjust, which im ok with, now Nate getting a belt? He would be fighting mostly the same guys he couldnt beat at LW or WW, he wont touch a belt or a title shot in the existent or a possible new division.

If we were to add 165 imo it should be 165, 177 and 190, LHW or anything lower than 165 can stay the same imo.

Why not move to 165 as well?

ppl seem to be under the impression that 165 division will get rid of weight cutting n everybody will just fight in their “natural” weight class.

they dont seem to realize all those 200+ guys who were too big to make 155 n were fight at 170, will try to cut extra 5 pounds n go to 165

155 to 170 is too big a gap for such a small weight.

I don't know if the gap is really that big from 155 to 170, based on the countless number of successful transitions for big 155 fighters going to 170. I understand none of them are champs (except of course BJ Penn), but they all became top 10 contenders just as they were at LW. Nate Diaz, Jorge Masvidal, RDA, Michael Chiesa, Donald Cerrone, Anthony Pettis (briefly).

I could also see Khabib and Ferguson having some success at 170.

ppl seem to be under the impression that 165 division will get rid of weight cutting n everybody will just fight in their “natural” weight class.

they dont seem to realize all those 200+ guys who were too big to make 155 n were fight at 170, will try to cut extra 5 pounds n go to 165
Exactly, huge welterweights who already make the cut to 170 likely won’t have much issue cutting 5 extra pounds, they would still have a size advantage. Making the new “division” Is a waste of everyone’s time.

We also need 215, 225, 235, 245, and 255 bc some guys have trouble making the weight they signed the contract for.

If one day they make 165, 170 will move up to 175.

u2ujl.jpg
Good call... While at it - can we also make height categories? To prevent fighters like Carwin from cutting height too much...

They need to restructure the divisions in 10lb increments till 200, then 220, 240, openweight.

Jesus Christ you fucking people, wake up.

Nick Diaz tweeted in September of 2018 "how about a 165 title fight then?" in an attempt to get more money for a fight against Poirier.

It didn't work.

There has been no real talk about 165 since. Only fan chatter. For 16 goddamn months and counting.

So shut the fuck up already lol. This isn't a thing. And arguing against this non-topic is helping keep the chatter going just as much as supporting the non-topic does.

Breaking up 2 of the shallowest divisions in the sport makes no sense. Breaking up the two deepest isn't necessary, but it makes a lot more sense.

Makes sense for the talent but not the weight difference. Fuck the individual MMA athlete, I'm just saying what would be fair in terms of weight classes. If an MMA great can't beat someone in his own weight class because there's a GOAT there, then that's just too fucking bad

I don't know if the gap is really that big from 155 to 170, based on the countless number of successful transitions for big 155 fighters going to 170. I understand none of them are champs (except of course BJ Penn), but they all became top 10 contenders just as they were at LW. Nate Diaz, Jorge Masvidal, RDA, Michael Chiesa, Donald Cerrone, Anthony Pettis (briefly).

I could also see Khabib and Ferguson having some success at 170.
You call that successful???

You're cherry picking and ignoring all of the people who failed in moving up in weight.

Also, "success" is not determined by the absolute rank of a fighter. What matters is the delta rank. In other words, if someone was top 5 at 155, and can't make the top 5 at 170, then that is not successful; that is a failure. Likewise, if a fighter was top 20 at 155, and top 20 at 170, then that is neither successful nor a failure. We need to look at every fighter that attempted the transition from 155 to 170, and then look at their rank in each division before and after. The average change in ranking will give you an unbiased answer.

Only Jorge Masdival truly had a successful move from 155 to 170. The jury is still out on Chiesa, as all of his opponents were clearly washed up. RDA was the 155 champ but couldn't beat any legitimate top 5 welterweights. That is a failure.

Back