If You Had to Finish Your Opponent to Win a Fight, Who Would be Champion of Each Division?

kingJohn

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
My choices

HW - Cormier, he has the wrestling and pressure to wear down any HW, as well as decent power. He'd win a war of attrition against any of them.

LHW - Jones, He has a good chin and his style is one that makes people quit over time.

MW - Romero, Near impossible to finish and has KO power that lasts all fight.

WW - Masvidal, Has the cardio to keep going even if he gets taken down repeatedly and the striking to finish anybody on the feet.

LW - Ferguson, Insane cardio, great recovery, and breaks people over the course of a fight, give him enough time and he'll find a way to finish his opponent.

FeatherW - Holloway, Pretty much same as Ferguson, great cardio, recovery, and breaks people over time.

BW - Cejudo, Moraes was his biggest challenge at BW and he finished him.

FlyW - Cejudo, has some of the best power at the division and only finish loss was to DJ who isn't there anymore

lol Masvidal has always been a journeymen now all of a sudden he is the next big thing, sherdog never change.

Even though Covington isn't at all a finisher I actually think he would eventually finish each opponent through sheer exhaustion, his cardio is ridiculous.

Not Jones. In his last 2 performances he had the opportunity to finish multiple times and played it safe instead.

• Heavyweight: Cormier
  • Light heavyweight: Jones
  • Middleweight: Jacare
  • Welterweight: Lawler
  • Lightweight: Ferguson
  • Featherweight: Holloway
  • Bantamweight: Cejudo
  • Flyweight: Cejudo
  • Women's featherweight: Nunes
  • Women's bantamweight: Nunes
  • Women's flyweight: Shevchenko
  • Women's strawweight: Andrade

Porier doesn't get any love? He finished Pettis, Gaethje and Alvarez back to back to back.

lol Masvidal has always been a journeymen now all of a sudden he is the next big thing, sherdog never change.
Same thing happened to Nate

welterweight would be the toughest to pick, a lot of fights still need to be made to work out who is truly the top dog.

Lame....I thought TS was going to go thru the history of title fights and see who the champions would be if you had to finish the opponent.

...brb

Not Jones. In his last 2 performances he had the opportunity to finish multiple times and played it safe instead.
but we have seen him do it, a lot. Therefore we know its possible. playing it safe doesn't exist in a last man standing rule set.

Lame....I thought TS was going to go thru the history of title fights and see who the champions would be if you had to finish the opponent.

...brb

Edit:

All MMA fights count, but you have to finish to win the belt (no weight class, no dq):

Heavyweight:
Coleman > Williams > Schilt > Barnett > Crocop > Gonzaga > Couture > Lesnar > Velasquez > Dos Santos > Velasquez > Werdum > Miocic > Cormier (reigning champ)

Light heavyweight:
Frank Shamrock > Cung Le > Scott Smith > Cung Le > Wanderlei Silva > Rampage Jackson (reigning champ)

MIDDLEWEIGHT:
Menne (I take him as 1st champ even though he won the belt by decision) > Bustamante > Henderson > lil Nog > Sokodjou > Machida > Shogun > Jon Jones (reigning)

Welterweight:
Pat Miletich > Jutaro Nakao > Tetsuji Kato > Shaolin Ribeiro > JZ Calvan > Luis Palomino > Justin Gaethje > Eddie Alvarez > Dustin Poirier (reigning)

Lazy to do the rest for now.

Actually Masvidal, Maia, Woodley really deserve to be up there because they almost never get finished and posses finishing skill. This topic seems just a follow up on the Finish Only MMA topic.

He's never been finished in the UFC, a lot of close decision losses. I don't think he'll be champ, but if a finish was needed I'd pick him over the guys I have him losing a decision to.

Back