If you don't like the skip step sidekick, then f*&@ you!!

Bay Area

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Who else uses this underused technique? We all know the Cung Lee chambered version, but I feel the bruce lee version is a powerful and deceptive kick that isn't seen in MMA.

And before we get talk about how you can see it coming from a mile away, you dont have to take a giant step forward with your front foot, then skip, then kick... covering 50 feet of space. You can skip in place then launch the kick, or do a tiny hop forward, bring your rear foot to your front foot, then shoot the kick.

And the best part is, you have three targets to aim... the head, torso, or the legs. You can keep your oponent guessing where it will land, cuz it looks exactly the same coming at him, except for the last second when you aim high or low. You do several of those throughout the course of the fight, and you will confuse the hell out of him.
Kind of like those old Tekken games, where you have to guess whether the last move of the combo will come high or low.

Last but not least, the power generated from the move is insane. If you land it flush, face, torso, or thigh, its game over.

Discuss

Last edited:
I think the biggest issue would be the stance. If you're chambering then you're turning your body prior to the kick, for the Bruce Lee version to work you need to be standing almost perpendicular with your opponent which makes TDs pretty easy since you can't really sprawl from that stance. It's the same reason you don't see a lot of orthodox boxing stances utilized in MMA...the front leg is too vulnerable.

The way he throws that yoko geri/side kick - it's very similar to the way you'd throw an ushiro geri - I mean the way he lands & if you watch the movement of his feet - it's pretty identical to the way you'd throw an ushiro geri.

Yeah like the poster above mentioned - the stance itself is troublesome. Also even if you did the skip or a slight hop forward instead of the lunge forward - (a) wouldn't be as much power in the kick and (b) the kick itself is still quite telegraphed imo - personally think there are better ways to throw side kicks that might not have as much power as this but because there more deceptive & way less telegraphed imo.

It's a powerful kick no doubt, but the kick & the movement leading up to the kick makes it telegraphed, also the stance imo would be a problem in MMA - that said it might be possible to do it in a slightly squarer stance but it wouldn't be as fluid I reckon.

I do it from a mostly square foot position. You just twist into a side stance as you bring the chamber up with a little hop. The chamfering position is almost as explosive as the kick.

My way isn't as strong because your feet don't give you as much room to build up speed as a traditional side stance, but it still works.

Notice Bruce doing some fancy footwork right before he throws it?

You don't have to be sideways the whole damn fight...You just need to be in that position for a brief moment to launch the kick.

And you're not going to give it away if you use decent footwork to constantly change your angles...LIKE YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO.

It's a powerful kick no doubt, but the kick & the movement leading up to the kick makes it telegraphed, also the stance imo would be a problem in MMA

Telegraphed like the turning side kick?
Or how about the spining hook kick?
Those will never work in MMA

You guys are making the mistake of giving MMArtists too much strkiing skill credit.

I thought we were past this type of "kick A will never work" thinking.

What I've been playing with is transitioning into the stance with the back leg hop, as part of the kick, rather than being in the side on stance when you launch it.
So it's like Muay Thai/MMA more square stance > back leg comes forward, hips move to side on, front leg comes to chamber > execute kick.

In this case the back foot only moves around a foot or so, so there's no massive lunge. I mostly manage to land it when someones coming forward with a stepping/lungeing jab, to the torso. There's less power but they walk into it.

EDIT: Looks like I'm not the only one, Auspex and SummerStriker posting similar techniques while I was writing my post.

this guy uses it on mma, plus he has good boxing

Is this kick from karate too??? because I dunno where I learned to do it with the right leg on southpaw stance (or spinning back kick for orthodox)

This kick takes setup to use and yeah, it will miss if you throw it while your opponent is ready to defend. It's best used when the opponent is traveling backwards due to your own action and not his own. It takes away a bit of the power since they are moving away from you, but it creates a tremendous amount of distance and still hurts.

Makdessi is one of my favorite fighters, he's awesome.

Edit: It is also in Karate yes.

this guy uses it on mma, plus he has good boxing

@ Azam: what do you have to say now lol.

Again, we make the mistake of giving MMArtists too much striking credit. Most can't strike worth a damn. In the video above, Makdessi was landing it over and over with zero set up. Zero. His oponent had no clue of how to avoid it. Theory and practice are two different things.

@ DivineComedy: He is my favorite fighter, and has been for a while cuz I strike exactly like him.

You guys are making the mistake of giving MMArtists too much strkiing skill credit.

lol I never said it will never work - it definitely could if someone trained this technique repeatedly just like any other technique could be made to work.

It's just I feel there are better ways to throw the side kick rather than this method that's all - I also feel that it is telegraphed however if you chained it into a combo or added something else to it, it might make it less telegraphed.

Honestly anything can work I feel if given the amount of effort in training, people use to think axe kicks weren't effective & was an outdated technique until Hug came along and started landing his kakato nearly every fight.

EDIT: Just saw the Makdessi highlight - I like the way he fights, totally forgot about him lol.

lol I never said it will never work - it definitely could if someone trained this technique repeatedly just like any other technique could be made to work.

It's just I feel there are better ways to throw the side kick rather than this method that's all - I also feel that it is telegraphed however if you chained it into a combo or added something else to it, it might make it less telegraphed.

Honestly anything can work I feel if given the amount of effort in training, people use to think axe kicks weren't effective & was an outdated technique until Hug came along and started landing his kakato nearly every fight.

Ok then. We are on the same page.

i like this kick. a coach in Thailand pushed me to the floor with a kick like that.

tumblr_masxq1ODHZ1qaa8d1o1_500.gif

People overlook the fact that you can use a telegraph. When you feint, you are effectively telegraphing the wrong technique in order to capitalize on the reaction of your opponent. When you know a technique is going to be slower and, therefore, more telegraphed, you can use that fact to confuse your opponent. With the back foot skipping forward, Vitor clearly thought this was about to be a skipping low kick, and so he ate the side kick flush. I think this works well with kicks, which are generally more telegraphed than punches, because they land at so many different levels, and there are so many kicks that look very similar in the telegraphing, chambering stage, but are thrown from different angles and positions.

This also shows what SummerStriker was talking about. You can use the skip to line your hips up for the side kick, rather than just chilling in a side stance.

Edit: Azam, how would you throw the side kick? I think this is probably the quickest way to chamber it.

Azam, how would you throw the side kick? I think this is probably the quickest way to chamber it.

You're not addressing me, but the quickest way is to lift your knee off the ground, and shoot it out by pushing off of your back foot. Without a skip.

@ 46 seconds:

Last edited:

I remember guys from this team used those quite a bit. Two guys got some sweet hits in the highlight video at 0:58 and 3:50.

I personally don't prefer it, since I usually get swept and kicked on the face.

EDIT

And I forgot about the guy who had the best skip step side kick ever.

Last edited:

I remember guys from this team used those quite a bit. Two guys got some sweet hits in the highlight video at 0:58 and 3:50.

I personally don't prefer it, since I usually get swept and kicked on the face.

@ 3:50, that was the non skip step one I was telling Discipulus about. Its kinda difficult to do the standing side kick to the face though.

what part of the bay area are u from?

I've always thought that the side kick was the most difficult kick to make look text book when sparring. It is a hard kick for me anyway. Even some of the guys in these videos have flailing arms or weird rechambers.

Back