If you do judo will it help in BJJ comps

abhi

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I have never done a BJJ comp yet but I heard it starts like a judo comp and if so, would it make sense for the stand up and throw aspect

Bjj and judo are the same martial art but it's sports have different rules... In judo you win by either pin, perfect throw, or submission, in bjj you win by submission or points from throws, sweeps, and positions...

in myu old club we always started on our knees, so you donlt know if someones take down defense or takedown is good and the standing grappling might be crap

It won't help that much because you can pull gaurd indefinitely in a BJJ tournament. After they see you throwing them around, they'll do exactly that. Don't expect to do too well.

I don't see how you won't do as well as any BJJer? As long as you train well, you'll have a good shot. People don't give enought credit to judokas on the ground....

monkey roll said:
I don't see how you won't do as well as any BJJer? As long as you train well, you'll have a good shot. People don't give enought credit to judokas on the ground....

If you're a good judoka, you did your majority of training on throws. I rolled with some BJJ'ers last night and it was very enlightening. Yeah, you can throw them all around, but they will adapt by pulling gaurd and taking a very low stance. My defense was great from judo, but a BJJ'ers psoitioning, reversals, etc are miles better than a Judoka's because they have unlimitd time to work. In Judo you get used to defense and turtling becaue you know you will only have to hold out for 30 seconds at the most before you're stood up. One blue got his hooks in and tried to choke me and I held him off for 8 minutes before he pulled a chin choke (illegal in judo).

Itss like a collegiate wrestler entering a submission wrestling match. He will take these guys down every time but the time with subs just isn't there. Only so many hours in the training session.....Knowing the rules will help, but the specialized training isn't there. Just like a BJJ'er won't do well at a true Judo tourney. They won't give him the time to work, I've seen it many times in person.....

Knowing Judo or Sambo is better than knowing nothing, but it will be difficult to win unless you throw and transition into pinning and hold downs. The crowd will hate you but the points from takedowns and the pin will let you win if you ride out the time...

Don't try to beat them at subs...

I just got done with a BJJ tournament where Judo Blackbelts CRUSHED the competition with their throws....even the guard pullers.

If you got the time for Judo, it can only make you better.

Calibur said:
I just got done with a BJJ tournament where Judo Blackbelts CRUSHED the competition with their throws....even the guard pullers.

If you got the time for Judo, it can only make you better.

what division where they at? beginner? Only reason i ask is that i've wrestled for some time and just recently got my blue belt and i grappled with a guy who outweighed me by 50 lbs. and he was a bb in judo. He wasn't as dominate as either of us thought he would be, and every time it hit the floor that was my world i tapped him about 4 or 5 times in like 10 mins. Where he could throw me, even with my wrestling bg, his groundwork wasn't all that impressive

bb's in judo vary greatly, some are awesome, some are horrible

To set the record straight...
NOT ALL JUDO SCHOOLS TEACH MOSTLY THROWS.
Lots of schools train hard with newaza (groundfighting). A judo player can be a good challenge for a BJJ grappler if he pushes the pace and knows the BJJer's game.

Also, a Judo blackbelt does not have "master" status like in other martial arts. Instead, it symbolizes that you KNOW all the techniques involved. It's actually just the start of your Judo career.

Every judo club I have trained at was usually 50/50 standing and ground.

In tournys, I CHOSE to stand because a win with throws was easier and more likely than winning on the ground and I suspect the vast majority feel the same.
If on the ground, you tried a serious attempt for hold or sub, the refs would let it go. If the guy I was fighting had a good ground defense, I would say screw it, and just wait on top of his turtle for the stand-up. Or make it look like I was the aggressor by using an energy-less attempt at a turnover.

I won vs alot of the 'weaker' on the ground. If I knew I might have a decent chance for an easy sub or hold I would take it. If the guy was going to be tuff, I would fight more efficiently and try the throws.

fozzit said:
Bjj and judo are the same martial art but it's sports have different rules... In judo you win by either pin, perfect throw, or submission, in bjj you win by submission or points from throws, sweeps, and positions...
Well no. Not the same martial art. Similar, but there's an emphasis on two different things. Throws, for Judo. And groundfighting for BJJ.

In my BJJ club, we start our sparring from standing, so our takedowns are pretty good. But I did judo for a period of time, so it certainly does help with the throws.

Judo will help your BJJ, but unless your Judo also includes strong groundwork and subs, you can't substitute it for BJJ. The rules just work that way.

But, if your subs are also good, likely your standup and ground wrestling is superior, and that's a big advantage.

Of course since you're graded on subs in BJJ it's not fair to compare by belt but by training time.

Judo BB that can't handle blues need to do their homework!

it will help but not as much as some are claiming. You have to understand the rules in bjj, in BJJ you can pull guard and 90%+ of the time you are on the ground. So you might be able to attempt a judo throw two or three time at the most in a match. That's not alot. Besides, alot of bjj guys use modified wrestling takedowns.

jacare has good judo but come on. look at guys like Pe De Pano... they are guard pullers. Let's face it what % of your time do you spend on your feet in a bjj match? less than 10%. And of that 10%you have to execute a legit takedown before your opponent pulls guard. You do the math. Heck i can talk about "double pumping in the air and doing a reverse layup is a good thing to do in basketball because guys like kobe, t-mac, and MJ used to do it all the time"

probably knowing judo won't come into play until higher levels, where being in somebody's guard is very dangerous, hard to pass, and dominating positions are hard to get. then knowing takedowns where you land in sidemount or better is going to come into play.

that or your throws are so good that they hurt.

If you do judo will it help in BJJ comps ?

YES! But especially if your teachers are top-notch.

We have some Judo BB's come in every so often to roll with us and they almost always show us new things.

Back