If you do judo will it help in BJJ comps

If you do judo will it help in BJJ comps ?

YES! But especially if your teachers are top-notch.

We have some Judo BB's come in every so often to roll with us and they almost always show us new things.

Especially:

Posture / Stance / Correct Positions
Postitional Control
How to avoid vulnerable positions
GRIPS!!!
How to break TUFF-GRIPS
Throws/Counters
Awesome scarf hold subs

And break-falls

so when people notice that you are throwing others around, then they'll pull guard(as what someone else said).

doesn't that mean you get two points for it?

eljamaiquino said:
One blue got his hooks in and tried to choke me and I held him off for 8 minutes before he pulled a chin choke (illegal in judo).

how long are bjj matches/

i thought they were 5 minutes?

Steeltwo said:
so when people notice that you are throwing others around, then they'll pull guard(as what someone else said).

doesn't that mean you get two points for it?

In gi comp, you don't lose any points for pulling gaurd. In no-gi you lose 1.

If bjjers want better stand up they should score more for takedowns and score against pulling gaurd. Why else would a bjj'er need to practice takedowns?

yea i think if you pull guard your opponent should be given the 2 points also.

pitviper259 said:
what division where they at? beginner? Only reason i ask is that i've wrestled for some time and just recently got my blue belt and i grappled with a guy who outweighed me by 50 lbs. and he was a bb in judo. He wasn't as dominate as either of us thought he would be, and every time it hit the floor that was my world i tapped him about 4 or 5 times in like 10 mins. Where he could throw me, even with my wrestling bg, his groundwork wasn't all that impressive

At the tourny I saw White belts, blue belts, and purples who were BBs in Judo, and controlled the fight, even AFTER people knew they were Judo people. A lot has to do with the fact that the Judo players have adapteed their skills to the BJJ mind set and countered it in a way comfortable to them.

I actually lost a lot of faith in BJJ after seeing those matches. I repeat. Judo can only help your BJJ game.

well i started a thread a few weeks ago about how i lost to judo black belt in the white belt division of the london open.
i took my first judo class on thursday night.
was a good eye opener and i plan to do judo once a week from now on to supplement my 3 days a week of bjj.
im also back to the gym doing powerlifting/strongman training twice a week.
ive got my next comp in february.

Judo is great in the BJJ comps especially at the higher weights where the guard is so much easier to pass 'cause the guys are just too big and slow.
Might not mean as much in the lower weights but in my class it's essential.

Steeltwo said:
how long are bjj matches/

i thought they were 5 minutes?

This was rolling in class, not a competition.

The guy is not asking if adding Judo will help. He is saying ALL he knows is Judo and will he do well at a BJJ tournament. So any judo guy off the street is going to do well without even taking a single BJJ class. :wink:

WOW! Thanks guys. Why bother even doing BJJ then?
Guess Judo is best after all... :icon_twis

Work the throws and pins. If your ground game is very good, then you may do very well, but otherwise throw them HARD and ride the pin for the win...

Depending on your judo training and the level of the competition, you may do very poor to very well. It'll be good experience at least. Let us know how it goes...

Back