If You Didn't Go To College, What is your Job? Are You happy/Content?

As much as people here like to hate on college, it's the proven way to being successful. Every study out there shows a significant pay increase with each level of school you complete. Their are exceptions always. So what. Probably far too many for them all to be true on this site though.

And for being a plumber or electrician? Who the fuck wants to do that? It's shit work. Bitch work. Fuck that. If you are into it, I would never degrade you for it. Some people like it. I don't. A lot of you guys are acting like if you become a plumber that you will be pulling in 100k. Sure. Good luck even getting 50k for the majority, and on top of that, good luck even getting a job in that. The trade jobs, in the union and shit are so far and in between, and you have to know somebody. Getting a degree for that would up your chances.

Lmao at bitch work and shit work fuck that but I would never degrade you...

Do you mind expanding on how a trade like that sucks? Also compared to what? I think sitting behind a desk working some giant company is far greater "bitch" work than plumbing.

Oh and

http://work.chron.com/salary-plumber-7554.html

http://money.usnews.com/careers/best-jobs/plumber/salary

Sounds like if you are average you can get that 50k... If you can start your own thing and it becomes successful you can easily make 100k.

Last edited:
There are moderators on this site who clear more than that.

Yeah man, I get paid 200k just to post on this site. Are you guys serious about not making 150k a year? Ash tray money, man.

Do you mind expanding on how a trade like that sucks? Also compared to what? I think sitting behind a desk working some giant company is far greater "bitch" work than plumbing.

Oh and

Sounds like if you are average you can get that 50k... Nobody is talking about working for some giant company btw. If you can start your own thing and it becomes successful you can easily make 100k.

Yeah, don't know what he was talking about. "Not trying to degrade you, but it's bitch work and everyone hates it".... lol.

Anywho. You can make a shit ton of money if you're a good tradesman as has already been said in this thread numerous times. Statistics lean towards college being worth more in the long run, most of those statistical studies were done by colleges. Sounds like a conflict of interest to me. I believe that college USED to be better in the long run, because you have to look at where the numbers are coming from. The current 22-40 year old demographic are in a much worse off position while the 40+ crowd who have degrees are still going strong and skew the statistic. Now I'm basing this on absolutely no scientific data whatsoever and I understand that.

I'm a college grad. I got/get a LOT more calls for jobs when I apply, though the key is always experience. I don't make shit, but every morning I get up and love what I do. I invest intelligently and do more than okay. In the end, get to where you want to be however you want to get there. Two roads diverged in a wood......

As much as people here like to hate on college, it's the proven way to being successful. Every study out there shows a significant pay increase with each level of school you complete. Their are exceptions always. So what. Probably far too many for them all to be true on this site though.

And for being a plumber or electrician? Who the fuck wants to do that? It's shit work. Bitch work. Fuck that. If you are into it, I would never degrade you for it. Some people like it. I don't. A lot of you guys are acting like if you become a plumber that you will be pulling in 100k. Sure. Good luck even getting 50k for the majority, and on top of that, good luck even getting a job in that. The trade jobs, in the union and shit are so far and in between, and you have to know somebody. Getting a degree for that would up your chances.

It's bitch work? How are blue collar jobs bitch work? Sitting in a office is bitch work. How old are you?

Yeah, don't know what he was talking about. "Not trying to degrade you, but it's bitch work and everyone hates it".... lol.

Anywho. You can make a shit ton of money if you're a good tradesman as has already been said in this thread numerous times. Statistics lean towards college being worth more in the long run, most of those statistical studies were done by colleges. Sounds like a conflict of interest to me. I believe that college USED to be better in the long run, because you have to look at where the numbers are coming from. The current 22-40 year old demographic are in a much worse off position while the 40+ crowd who have degrees are still going strong and skew the statistic. Now I'm basing this on absolutely no scientific data whatsoever and I understand that.

I'm a college grad. I got/get a LOT more calls for jobs when I apply, though the key is always experience. I don't make shit, but every morning I get up and love what I do. I invest intelligently and do more than okay. In the end, get to where you want to be however you want to get there. Two roads diverged in a wood......

I know a few 40+ college grads that were laid off to make room for younger (cheaper) college grads. Nothing is guaranteed these days and there is no such thing as loyalty in most offices. A lot of college graduates are stuck breaking even into their 30's due to student loans.

I majored in business. Did not get me anything but wasted years and a ton of student loan debt. Took me a decade to come to my senses and got into an electrical apprenticeship program. Now I'm making more money than every previous job I have had. Fun job and little to no stress.

I know a few 40+ college grads that were laid off to make room for younger (cheaper) college grads. Nothing is guaranteed these days and there is no such thing as loyalty in most offices. A lot of college graduates are stuck breaking even into their 30's due to student loans.

Exactly. They can hire 3 new grads for the 1 old timer they used to keep on staff. Baby boomers only recently started retiring. It'll equalize soon, hell it wasn't until recently that federal workers make MORE than private business, that's insane.

Exactly. They can hire 3 new grads for the 1 old timer they used to keep on staff. Baby boomers only recently started retiring. It'll equalize soon, hell it wasn't until recently that federal workers make MORE than private business, that's insane.

The trick is to get into management so you're not working alongside those 20 somethings as a 40+ y/o professional.

I would post a graph but you uneducated bastards wouldn't understand it.

I would love to see a graph that included a tradesmen/licensed professions without a degree section. So far the ones itt have had no college, some college and multiple different degrees. Having just those categories tradesmen with no college are included with people that work at mcd's, walmart or whatever and with loser people that don't give a shit.

Oh and

Sounds like if you are average you can get that 50k... If you can start your own thing and it becomes successful you can easily make 100k.

It's bitch work? How are blue collar jobs bitch work? Sitting in a office is bitch work. How old are you?

You, hired by me, to fix my toilet cause I don't want to - bitch work.

Thanks bitches.

who the hell wants to do trade work? you get a nice job in trades and you can be set. There are plenty of eletricians who make 100k a year, I work with a few. I have a blue collar background and got a job with a water district and its entirely possible ill be at 100k before retirement, well over 50k now. Plus benefits. Yeah, sounds like trades aren't for you but no idea why you think its such crap.

Go to college or join the military. The odds of you finding a good paying job that you enjoy without it an education are not good.

i DID go to college, and i DID graduate. though i work in a field that has no use for my degree. and to be honest, i love what i do.

there is something to be said for going home knowing you actually DID something, you actually EARNED that paycheck with hard work.

sure, it would be the more intelligent route to work in an office and draw all day (BA civil engineering) and i covet the experience and work it took to achieve the degree.

i work as a roughneck in the oilfield. one of the 10 most dangerous jobs in the world last time they put out that ridiculous study. previously i worked in a steel mill and loved that too.

i own more than one home, am building a cabin in the mountains and own all of my vehicles. im not riding maybachs nor am i poppin bottles, but the life i live works for me. and as a caveat: i dont think i could have achieved all of this without the learning and experience i gained while in college, even though i dont use that degree professionally.

who the hell wants to do trade work? you get a nice job in trades and you can be set. There are plenty of eletricians who make 100k a year, I work with a few. I have a blue collar background and got a job with a water district and its entirely possible ill be at 100k before retirement, well over 50k now. Plus benefits. Yeah, sounds like trades aren't for you but no idea why you think its such crap.

That idiot just thinks that the only thing plumbers do is fix shitters because people like him are too stupid to unclog something.

You, hired by me, to fix my toilet cause I don't want to - bitch work.

Thanks bitches.

It's honest work, man. There's absolutely no shame in working hard to support yourself, at any job.

What is it that you do for a living?

None here. I work in IT and made a good living for myself. Content? I guess. You always want more pay but I'm comfortable and easily make ends meet with plenty of left over money every month. ALL jobs suck so it comes down to just picking something you can tolerate.

I sometimes feel like a bit of a loser for not attempting to college but then I look at my savings and knowing that I'm debt free and forget about it.

You can get good paying jobs without college, you just have to keep your salary expectations in check and not expect to get certain types of jobs without a degree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back