If You Didn't Go To College, What is your Job? Are You happy/Content?

Lovci

Green Belt
Reaction score
Basically did you get a decent job. Do you think you would have furthered yourself more with college?

Also, I would like to hear any stories about close friends or family who have no college. I personally don't know anyone who didn't go to college that is making a killing or has some fantastic great paying job.

I work for the DOE and i can tell you that the janitors at the plant make $30 an hour and i don't think they need to have a college degree for the job. Just don't get in trouble to ensure that you are able to get a secret clearance and you could get a high paying job without a college degree. I personnaly have an associates degree and make $22.70 an hour and 34.05 with overtime. College wasn't needed though. I perform industrial hygiene work and got all my training in the Air Force. College seems like a waste to be honest. I can't believe some people are 50K in debt.

I work for the DOE and i can tell you that the janitors at the plant make $30 an hour and i don't think they need to have a college degree for the job. Just don't get in trouble to ensure that you are able to get a secret clearance and you could get a high paying job without a college degree. I personnaly have an associates degree and make $22.70 an hour and 34.05 with overtime. College wasn't needed though. I perform industrial hygiene work and got all my training in the Air Force. College seems like a waste to be honest. I can't believe some people are 50K in debt.

So they don't have to be bartenders or work at napa as a cashier. Not everyone is as lucky as you.

Also, based on government pay scales I have a hard time believing janitor makes more then almost everyone who works there.

I didn't go to college and have a higher paying job than my friends that did go to college and university.

So they don't have to be bartenders or work at napa as a cashier. Not everyone is as lucky as you.

Yes i'm very lucky and i love my job especially being a civilan again. Don't buy into this whole, if you don't go to college you are going to be working McDonald's or some other minimum wage job. While that could happen it's not necessarily true. USA.gov is a good place to look for jobs. Some require degrees some don't.

Yes i'm very lucky and i love my job especially being a civilan again. Don't buy into this whole, if you don't go to college you are going to be working McDonald's or some other minimum wage job. While that could happen it's not necessarily true. USA.gov is a good place to look for jobs. Some require degrees some don't.

I know, I work for the government. You can't get past a tech job without some sort of degree. GS7 if you are lucky.

Also, based on government pay scales I have a hard time believing janitor makes more then almost everyone who works there.

Trust me, when i found out they made more than me, i was surprised too! Maybe that's why our government is in debt :icon_lol:
I am hoping to get a pay raise soon that will bring me up to $30 an hour soon.

I know, I work for the government. You can't get past a tech job without some sort of degree. GS7 if you are lucky.

I'm a sub contractor for the government. I have 13 years of experience with the air force doing industrial hygiene, i think that subsituted for me not having anything past an associates degree.

College itself isn't a waste. It's a waste when people just go there and pursue useless degrees and don't have a plan to use it. There are plenty of careers out there that require degrees to get into them.

There are plenty of good jobs that don't require college either. It just depends on what you want to do.

No college and it would not further me
Self employed
Just bought my first house

This is my car I paid for it in full and have added 1000's to it.

imag1535.jpg

Doing quite well and happy. Money is a bit tight after the down payment on the house and things I've bought to put in it but that should change in a few months.

Why do people come into these threads and tell you everything but what they actually do?

Yes you can but you need technical training as a part of the job. I work for the DOD in the nuclear field and have for almost 40 years.

It's faster and better with a good degree.

Janitorial service most places are contracted out and they don't make anywhere near 30 an hour so I'm not sure where you work but I've never seen that kind of pay.

My brother didnt go to college and he makes more than most (if not all) of his friends who went to college. Hes in line for a promotion soon too. He said that he likes his job, but its not a dream job

Went to college for 2 years and decided it wasn't for me. No degree. I am a senior plant tech operator at a power generating station. Not killing it but I make low 6 figures. There are down sides to the job but the good outweighs the bad.

I'm 18, don't think I want to go to college. My uncle says I can work with him after I graduate HS, he delivers food supplies to restaurants, no college at all.

Makes 100,000 a year.

I'm retired at the ripe old age of 31. Didn't go to college. I spend my days raising goats and chickens. I play music, record and perform here and there a few times a month. I also dabble in film and television work from time to time... Ironically, I go to a college class NOW once a week just to keep my brain stimulated and argue with hipsters...

Back