If you can only grow one muscle groups...

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
Let's say that for whatever reason, hypothetical or real, that you have time or resources or ability to grow and continue to work on only one muscle groups in your body.

If that's the case, I'd imagine you'd wanna work on the muscle group that gives you the most benefits of having such muscle groups well developed...

I came across a guy called Bret Contreras, and apparently this guy has phd and all, and he really emphasizes the importance and significance of having glute muscles.

It's interesting because, though there could be obviously individual differences, it's not necessarily a reason what a lot of guys would wanna be lifting weight for, to have a well developed glute muscles, and in turn have a bigger bum.

On the other hand, if you think about it, well developed glute muscles, gluteous maximus for one, if we have to pick just one, it would be quite helpful in lot of ways, a lot more ways than any single muscular groups that could do for you by far, not only does it work on your hip joint, thus lower body stability and power, since it is also a part of core muscle groups, it could also affect general balance and strength as well.

What do you think? If you have to choose one group of muscles, what would it be? If you are more of a practical man preferring to thinking in not so hypothetical terms, and though muscles are likely better to be developed in coordinated way, what muscle groups, if well developed, give you most benefits?

If we don't have to consider the risk of injury for having over developed, and under developed muscles I'd have to agree with glutes. However, that kind of ties into lower body strength as a whole. Can I just say legs? Consider my entire lower body as one lol

Curls for the guns that turn on nuns

reminds me of a small and wiry guy from argentina who was working out with a trainer friend of mine. he was a really straight forward, honest guy working as a mechanic in the argentinian backcountry. he was ultra catholic and all that. he said he wants to work out only forearms and the neck. we asked why and he said dead serious "i want to scare the devil!"

Serious lack of moderation in this subform.

reminds me of a small and wiry guy from argentina who was working out with a trainer friend of mine. he was a really straight forward, honest guy working as a mechanic in the argentinian backcountry. he was ultra catholic and all that. he said he wants to work out only forearms and the neck. we asked why and he said dead serious "i want to scare the devil!"

Did you just make that up or is that true story

Did you just make that up or is that true story

dude, that's the truth. when we were drinking with him he would always pour a little sip of his glass of wine onto the lawn for "god's earth".
he was dead serious about this faith thing. on the other hand he had no problem with fucking his married landlady, haha.
that's true south american catholicism.

i would also work out my grip and the neck if i had to chose "one" muscle group. so, thick bar shrugs would be my choice.

dude, that's the truth. when we were drinking with him he would always pour a little sip of his glass of wine onto the lawn for "god's earth".
he was dead serious about this faith thing. on the other hand he had no problem with fucking his married landlady, haha.
that's true south american catholicism.

i would also work out my grip and the neck if i had to chose "one" muscle group. so, thick bar shrugs would be my choice.

it's a nice story, just wondering that's all.

I would choose nothing. I don't want one single muscle group to be over developed and make me look like a fool.

Back