If UFC had an openweight tourny, who under LHW could be competitive?

well Khabib trains with the current HW champ and he has never lost a round in training

so the obvious answer is Khabib by bearhug

If mws didn’t cut weight and knew they were fighting at hw they would be roughly 210-225, so there really wouldn’t be a huge weight discrepancy with most of them. The difference is most middleweights are much quicker and more well rounded than hw fighters. The likelihood that the top 10 mws would be competitive against the top 15 hws is sure as shit

Conor.

Just imagine him getting fucking destroyed by non-manlets....Damn that would be amazing.

Sadly he doesn't have the balls to fight bigger guys...he prefers manlet hunting.

Your post isn't making any sense. Conor has already come up in weight even though he never missed weight at FW and his next fight will be against a guy who's taller than him. You're out of your mind if you think a LW should go fighting against HWs to please your hater ass.

A lot would depend on the match ups .
That being said , Romero, and Weidman I think would do the best . Like someone else said Rockhokd doesn't have the chin .

MWs can easily make it and be competitive.

WW is the cutoff but really depends on who is in this.

I think elite middleweight fighters would embarrass most of the heavyweight division.

The drop off in athleticism and overall skill is cartoonish as you go up in weight. For the most part we're still shuffling around the old farts of yesteryear. Aside from a literal handful of guys at 265, most of them are beatable by the best guys at 185 and 205.

DC vs Stipe already showed us the minimal seperation between HW and LHW. And I really wish we'd have seen more of Rumble at HW.

The new question is how much seperation is there between HW/LHW and MW?

Depends what you think is competitive most ranked MW and WW could easily win vs terrible LHW or HW in a favorable matchup. Would anyone bet against Tyrone Woodley vs Przemyslaw Mysiala (tuf HW)? But the best bigger guys kill the best normal sized guys.

BJ fought Machida at HW and he wanted to fight Couture I remember.

It would be funny to see a fat prime BJ in a hw tourney

I don't think anyone below 170 would get sanctioned or be competitive.

At 185 and a 170 I think some of the heavy hitters and fast dominant wrestlers would have a decent chance, unless paired up with a giant.

My list of potential success stories would include:
Romero
Whitaker
Maybe Woodley
Lawler (prime only)
Weidman (prime only, chin may be cracked now)
Anderson (definitely prime only)
Maybe Maia, just because of his ground skills

But that's all I got off the top o the dome.

It's a sliding scale.

Mighty Mouse would beat a 155 lb guy that could beat a 185 lb guy that could beat a top ranked HW guy.. but he'd still lose to every HW guy.

MMA Math doesn't work, ever -- not in open weight tournaments either. Some WWs out there could beat smaller HWs like Fedor but would lose every time to Brock Lesnar. Whereas Fedor is in a comfortable middle where he can beat Lesnar sized guys and therefor win more often in openweight bouts, styles make fights.

Back