If UFC 157 bombs...

What sells this card: Hendo vs Machida
What makes people not want to buy this card: Ronda Rousey headlining over Hendo vs Machida

Pretty fucking simple, isn't it?

So yes, it's a question of how many people will be upset about Ronda Rousey headlining the card and not buy it compared to how many people don't care and just want to see Hendo vs Machida.

I'll probably buy it for Hendo vs Machida, and I'll watch the Ronda Rousey fight, but I'm kinda mad because Hendo vs Machida deserves to be 5 rounds, the way Shogun vs Hendo was.

I just think Rhonda should be held responsible if it bombs and she should reap the rewards if it does good.

Like any headlining main events fighters.

One thing for sure that will come out of this event if Henderson vs Machida ends up going all 3 and is a crazy fight that is FOTY kinda material, I can guarantee people will be saying that UFC needs 5-round co main events.

You have to define expectations as to what a "bomb" is for this event honestly.

-Ronda and Carmouche have no real proven UFC drawing power so there's a bit of patchwork guessing there. You'd have to assume Ronda will draw in her fans and if they use Carmouche's story (armed forces, lesbian etc) she'll attract new fans with the curiosity factor. Still that's all guess work.

-At the same time, Hendo is not really a major draw anymore (his SF showings were disappointing and 139 undersold expectations) and Machida has always been a bit of a hit or miss type. It's a great quality co-main event.

-Faber is one of the few lighter guys who can pull their weight around as a name and Menjivar is an adopted Canadian.

Then what do we compare the show to? The first FW headliner (UFC 144) did like 225,000 give or take right? 132 with Cruz and Faber did like 375,000? 150, the last LW title fight on PPV flopped.

So I guess if it does somewhere in that range, all parties will be satisfied. If Ronda vs Cyborg does that then they'll probably be some serious questions about the ability of women's MMA to draw in the UFC.

So then, if it bombs you agree it's on Hendo/Machida too I assume?

why would it fall on Hendo/Machida? they're not the main events anymore.

I just think Rhonda should be held responsible if it bombs and she should reap the rewards if it does good.
You'd think someone who wanted to talk about her so much could at least learn to spell her name.

It'll be the fans fault, seriously? You're not gonna pay for a fight because Women are headlining? Get over yourself.

Blaim (or credit) for PPV numbers should always lie primarily with the Headlining fight. I'd say a few will but it bc of Hendo v Machida... but for me I won't be buying it bc of Rousey v. Carmouche. I am not a big WMMA fan to start with and I doubt Carmouche will last any longer than the other girls Rousey has dominated.

BionicCommando, I would expect the average number of PPVs in 2012 as success. Less than half of that would definately be considered a failure.

Somewhere along these lines.

It'll be the fans fault, seriously? You're not gonna pay for a fight because Women are headlining? Get over yourself.

Yes. I won't buy the PPV bc of the headlining fight. But it's not just bc I don't like WMMA... it's more to do with the fact that I don't think it will even be much of a fight at all anyway. Rousey by armbar in less than 2 minutes.

Yes. I won't buy the PPV bc of the headlining fight. But it's not just bc I don't like WMMA... it's more to do with the fact that I don't think it will even be much of a fight at all anyway. Rousey by armbar in less than 2 minutes.

That's fine, I don't think it'll be competitive either, my gripe is with people who won't watch WMMA regardless if the fight is good or not.

That's what I think also.

The majority of people buying it will buy it because of hendo/machida, not because of rousey/carmouche. If it fails, it falls on rousey for being a weak headliner. But if it's successful, it's largely due to the hendo/machida fans. That's why I'm buying it at least, not for rousey, but for machida/hendo.

The majority of people buying it will buy it because of hendo/machida, not because of rousey/carmouche. If it fails, it falls on rousey for being a weak headliner. But if it's successful, it's largely due to the hendo/machida fans. That's why I'm buying it at least, not for rousey, but for machida/hendo.

Ah, I don't agree.

You can't sell your cake and eat it too.

I don't think the main should get all the credit/blame for a cards #. But it is the established standard. It is what it is.

Ah, I don't agree.

You can't sell your cake and eat it too.

Put ronda on another card on her own and see how she does if you really want to see her get all the credit for both.

It all depends wich way you look at it. Zuffas fault? or Headliner? never should co main be blamed for the ppv's poor results.

That's fine, I don't think it'll be competitive either, my gripe is with people who won't watch WMMA regardless if the fight is good or not.

I'm not a big fan of WMMA at all. But I would have at least been intrigued by Rousey v McMann or even Rousey v. Coenen... but Rousey v Carmouche... not so much.

Back