If Pereira become 3 divisions champ

On paper.... I'm a HUGE Alex fan.

But.

To do it now he'd have to beat Aspinal. To do it for real in the UFC it's Jones. But Jones never beat the actual champ. So even that has a small asterisk against it.

He could leave. Join the PFL ... Fight Francis. That would be the only way to make it undeniable.

If he did any of these he'd be out in front for consideration.

But there are a lot of moving parts

If he had to fight Jones to get it, it would be a pointless discussion because Jones would give him the Cyril Gane treatment.
We are just talking about it. You need to imagine him KO'ing Jones for the sake of the argument

Nah. To be the GOAT, you need to seem invincible. He never has. Outside of his fight against Strickland, he's looked beatable. Becoming a three division champion would just make him an interesting footnote in MMA history.

Hard to say. Just because he's a freak of nature in how easily he can lose or add weight to that massive frame he has. Not taking away from anything he's done at all.

We are just talking about it. You need to imagine him KO'ing Jones for the sake of the argument
If he beat Tom Aspinall, no he would not be.

If he beat Jones, I could see an argument but IMO, no.

Nah. To be the GOAT, you need to seem invincible. He never has. Outside of his fight against Strickland, he's looked beatable. Becoming a three division champion would just make him an interesting footnote in MMA history.
So there is no GOAT, since no one has ever seemed invincible? Khabib missed too many fights due to weight issues to be invincible. Passing out in an elevator to keep your belt isn't GOATish.

He would have the biggest single bragging platform as best accomplishment in MMA but imo, GOATship is about breadth x depth of achievement.

I love the guy but you need a sanity filter to consider him the GOAT x 3 belts.

For us who follow Glory, he was already one of the goats. Now he's uber-goat. Goatan.
If he wins the third belt, the remaining sherdoggers who survive the meltdown will bow before the goatverse king.

Also, he won’t succeed. But that’s ok.

I think max Holloway and Charles Oliveira holds most of UFC records.
Tim Elliot and Jim Miller have a lot of records too.
those things absolutely makes them notable fighters, but don't put'em in GOAT conversations.

Alex Pereira achieving champion in 3 divisions is unprecedented in UFC and is a historic feat, specially being in the 3 heaviest divisions ( MW to LHW have 20 lbs gap, and LHW to HW is like 40 lbs[250 lbs is the limit, but almost anyone reaches the limit])

I think it make him a legend, grant him a place in the HoF, and make him definitely unbeatable in accolades discussions.
But definitely not in GOAT conversations

So there is no GOAT, since no one has ever seemed invincible? Khabib missed too many fights due to weight issues to be invincible. Passing out in an elevator to keep your belt isn't GOATish.
Glad we agree.

Back