If Manny beats Spence by the miracle of God, is Manny the GOAT over Mayweather?

Montero on his podcast raised the issue of having to revaluate Manny's position in the GOAT list should be pull off a surprise win over Spence. Top 5 I think he said, iirc.

Yeah, he really cherry picked by fighting some of the greatest fighters of the past two decades. Just say you don’t like him and keep it moving.
Pointless getting prickly, he cherry picked, everyone does, blindly defending his every move is silly.

I know we all chuckled at the fact Tiddies got banned, but I want him in this thread for the lolz.

RIP turdwell
Mayweather never had guts to face Manny during his run. This is a fact. He only was man enough to face him after potential career-ending knock out at the hands of Marquez. This is also a fact.

grant_g_pacmarq_64011.jpg

Calzaghe beat Hopkins and Jones JR, but no one sane would rank Joe over those two. Nor are Hopkins and Jones Jr undefeated like Joe Calzaghe.

So if Pacquiao somehow beats Spence by some miracle and work of God, is Manny the GOAT over Mayweather in their era?
The GOAT is Sugar Ray Robinson.

Mayweather schooled and knocked down a fresher version of the Juan Manuel Marquez that KO’d Pac little before it happened.

I would retire too.. whats the point after seeing that?

edit: cherry on top, may is old than pac.

Last edited:
yea I already rank Pac higher in terms of “greatness”, but I think Floyd is better nahmean

Well, I think you have to consider where Spence is in his career. Has he really proven greatness yet? I don't think Spence's story has been written yet, if Manny beats him now, he'll be comparable to Keith Thurman.
whether or not Spence has proven genuine greatness is asking too tall of a question IMO. Is Spence an ATG? No. But he's universally recognized as the #1 WW and as a top 5ish P4P fighter. If Pac beats him that's a huge feather in his cap, no matter how you slice it. Spence already beat Brook, Porter, Danny G, Mikey G and Peterson, all of whom were top 10 WWs around hte time they fought. You can't argue he isn't proven, even if you don't think he's great yet.

also Spence already overtook Thurman a while back. He beat Porter and Garcia as convincingly, if not more so, than thurman, and has other A-level names on his resume that Thurman simply doesn't.

Pac is a legend it doesn't matter where he's ranked to be honest. We know when he fights the guys brings it and gives it his all. He's always looking for a knockout and has been the most exciting fighters to ever watch.

What else can you ask for him and his legacy?

For me you can only have huge respects for the man and how he's conducted himself in the ring. A true warrior and a badass.

He won't be the GOAT, but he will be ranked ahead of Mayweather.

Keep in mind Duran lost to Hearns and Hagler, no one rates those two ahead of him.

I rate Hagler above Duran... and pretty much everyone else. Hearns not so much, although he was a freakin' monster in his own right.

Mayweather never had guts to face Manny during his run. This is a fact. He only was man enough to face him after potential career-ending knock out at the hands of Marquez. This is also a fact.

grant_g_pacmarq_64011.jpg

Calzaghe beat Hopkins and Jones JR, but no one sane would rank Joe over those two. Nor are Hopkins and Jones Jr undefeated like Joe Calzaghe.

So if Pacquiao somehow beats Spence by some miracle and work of God, is Manny the GOAT over Mayweather in their era?

It really was quite the growth spurt JMM underwent at 39 before this fight, eh? Barry bonds-esque, Joe.

Yeah that's bullshit. I guess when you cherry pick opponents, you can retire with undefeated records.
so he cherry picked a younger Manny than the one who beat Thurman and in your fantastical clown world also beat Spence?
also how did Marquez diminish PaC?
sure he koed him bad... but Marquez was talking punishment before the ko and he has always been able to land that right on PAC and drag him through hell.
also Marquez and may are like night and day in the ring.
you got some logic issues boy

If Manny finds a way to beat Spence, he’s top 5 ATG for sure. I already rate him higher than Mayweather all time because he’s taken more chances and is a naturally smaller guy by at least 2-3 weight classes. Yeah he lost clearly to Mayweather, but again, he’s probably a natural 126-130lber whereas Mayweather is a 135-140lber. Hagler beat Duran head to head, but Duran is the greater fighter and again naturally 2-3 weight classes smaller.

Jake Paul > Pac > Logan Paul > Floy > Ali > Drederick Tatum

He won't be the GOAT, but he will be ranked ahead of Mayweather.

Keep in mind Duran lost to Hearns and Hagler, no one rates those two ahead of him.
I do.
Both were better than Duran.

You cant evaluate until their retired.
I dont think Manny gets ranked higher than Floyd. If he beats Spence, that is a nice notch added and if he keeps winning....I mean whose to say.

I do believe Canelo will end up around 70-1-2 and will be ranked higher than both.

Obviously Floyd didn't want none of Manny when he was on his run. Mayweather cherry picked Pacquiao only AFTER he got knocked the fuck out by MArquez and it wasn't clear if he wouldn't retire or ever be the same.

Bob Arum & Manny refused to take the test & it's documented, they admitted this on video, this was the setback the testing, then later finally when the fight was made Manny agreed to the testing, they both looked beatable when Floyd face Maidana & got hurt by Shane , while Manny got caught by Marquez & everyone was saying lucky punch because Pac still was beating everyone & two years ago beat prime Thurman, so no excuses Floyd was older then Manny when they fought.

What else does the guy have to prove? but I'd be damn impressed. He'd be sealing the deal as number1guy status over 147 again in his 40s. Insane. He'd certainly have an argument in the career longevity dept.

Well, I think you have to consider where Spence is in his career. Has he really proven greatness yet? I don't think Spence's story has been written yet, if Manny beats him now, he'll be comparable to Keith Thurman.

Canelo had a better resume after the Floyd, it's one of those "in retrospect" situations if Spence goes on a run after (assuming he loses to Pac). If Spence loses to Manny and then does nothing for 2 years, then, yeah, he's like Thurman. If he loses to Manny and then wins big ones after Manny will look even better.

We have eyes. We can see when many had bad days and good days. It’s boxing. He went on a run where he looked like crap and Floyd finally decided it was time to fight him.

But either way neither of these two fighters is the GOAT regardless of what happens vs Spence. But if it’s between who has the greater legacy between the two, I already have Pac ahead of Floyd, win or lose vs Spence.

what kind of logic is this? He lost clearly to mayweather in a stink fight. Only way to fix that is to beat mayweather or maybe do something outlandish like fighting at the same level he's at until he's 90, which may be possible these days.

Back