"If I have to fight chandler again, it's because bellator wants it that way"

CardinalAqua

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score

I think it's only fair and right, just in the way things should go in a promotion, for me to fight will brooks. To me, that's the right way to go. I don't want to be a part of this whole debacle. It's very messy, and it just doesn't feel right that a guy has an interim belt, yet I'm supposed to fight another guy coming off a loss to the guy with the interim belt.I told them, it wasn't going to be months that I would be out, that it would just be about 6 weeks or so. Knowing that I wouldn't be out for very long, they still went ahead and set up an interim title. That was unprecedented. That was the fastest interim title I've ever seen instituted [laughs].More than anything else, I want to get this point across, I actually prefer to fight will brooks. It will be more exciting for me than to fight the same guy three times in a row. If I ever were given a preference, it would be to fight Will. Training for the same guy three times running stinks.

[url=http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/5/22/5740906/eddie-alvarez-if-i-have-to-fight-chandler-again-its-because-bellator-wants-it-that-way]bloodyelbow.com: It must be a great relief to you that your contract fell under the old language, and since then, the new contracts are much more ironclad and binding as far as extensions go.

[Laughs] I didn't sign a contract this last time. People have a misconception about that. I signed an out of court settlement. The old contract was hard for me to deal with, but I'm certainly glad that I'm signed to that one instead of the new ones with all the extension provisions.good interview
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/5/2...-again-its-because-bellator-wants-it-that-way

Last edited by a moderator:
Eddie should fight Brooks next. Let Chandler go through a 4 man tourny.

LOL, Eddie told them he'd be out 6 weeks, and they still went and made an interim belt.

Seems like Eddie is saying that this could get messy. Even though, the next matchup to make couldn't be more obvious, with Alvarez/Brooks...

It's a pretty tough sell now to go ahead and force the trilogy, when you now have a champ and an interim champ who BOTH want to fight each other.

But something tells me Bellator can't cope with the idea that Alvarez could possibly end up beating both Chandler AND Brooks, and then sign with UFC.

Hope Bellator just does the right thing, but something tells me that this is going to get ugly...

He needs to fight the interim champ plain and simple.

I agree with Eddie. The fight to make is against Brooks.

But as a fan, I have to say that I'll be disappointed if we don't get to see Alvarez and Chandler throw down one more time.

Although, thinking about it now, maybe it'd be fitting. Two of the best fights of all time, and they end it with one a piece.

Fuckin' Bellator and their interim belts, man. Shit is getting ridiculous.

Lol at an interim belt for a 6 week injury. Like it mattered for the PPV buys.

Bellator need to make the bite the bullet and make the fight with Brooks, he didn't ask for there to be an interim belt, they made it for a 2 weeks notice fight and it backfired on them.

I'd like to see Eddie vs Chandler 3, but im more interested in Brooks vs Eddie right now

Honestly when it comes to concussions, I can understand Bellator's rolling with an interim title as quickly as possible. God forbid but imagine if this turned into a TJ Grant situation with Eddie.

Eddie should fight Brooks next. Let Chandler go through a 4 man tourny.

100% right. He matches up well against Brookes to be fair - far better then Chandler. I think this would work out well for Bellator, it would give Brookes the fight he deserves, most likely Eddie would retain the title and then that would line up the Chandler superfight and place Brookes in a better position experience wise to deal with Eddie the next time they meet

The funny part is, if this wouldn't have been for an interim belt, Chandler would've won a majority decision. Bellator shot themselves in the foot.

100% right. He matches up well against Brookes to be fair - far better then Chandler. I think this would work out well for Bellator, it would give Brookes the fight he deserves, most likely Eddie would retain the title and then that would line up the Chandler superfight and place Brookes in a better position experience wise to deal with Eddie the next time they meet

Alvarez is 99.9% likely done with Bellator after his next fight, win or lose. If he ever fights Chandler again it will be in the UFC.

The funny part is, if this wouldn't have been for an interim belt, Chandler would've won a majority decision. Bellator shot themselves in the foot.

I was about to tell you that you are wrong, but you aren't, you are right. Every time I hear someone say majority decision it's always used wrong, you actually used it right.

There won't be a next time. Eddie has 1 more fight and win/lose/draw he is free to leave. If he wins, he is 100% guaranteed to go to the UFC. Even if he loses it's likely.

Alvarez is 99.9% likely done with Bellator after his next fight, win or lose. If he ever fights Chandler again it will be in the UFC.

yeah when both are on some losing streak and 3 years past their prime and uFC put it on facebook

oh UFC how your rematches always come 8 years too late...i.e shogun vs lil nog

I was about to tell you that you are wrong, but you aren't, you are right. Every time I hear someone say majority decision it's always used wrong, you actually used it right.

Thanks man, i've seen a lot of people use it wrong too. At first I had to double check only one judge gave Brooks a 10-8.

I'm glad Eddie made it clear he wants to fight Brooks. This way if Eddie vs Chandler 3 gets made we know it's because Bellator is playing favorites or politics as Bjorn use to say.

I definitely respect Eddie for wanting to fight the Brookes. It makes it look like he cares more about the Bellator championship than Bjorn if the promotion pushes for the rubber match vs Miguel.

It was a concussion right? Who really knows if it will be 6 weeks. I mean, we all hope it will be, but look at TJ Grant. Head trauma is really tricky.

Personally, I want to see him fight Chandler again. I really couldn't give a fuck about Bellator's belt legitimacy. You have Eddie, Chandler, and Brookes - then just everyone else. No one is on their level and the one guy that's putting it all together (Patricky) is injured. Fuck it - Eddie vs Chandler 3, the Chandler vs Brooks 2.

The whole, 'title shots are earned, not given' is so far out the fucking window, why even try and cling to it? Rebney defenestrated that ideology with Newton / Mo 2 and Curran / Strauss 3. Just put together the fights we want to see. If it comes with a shiny piece of bullshit, that's cool, but I really don't care.

Last edited:
Back