If Dominick Cruz and Wonderboy were in the same weight class...

Well I don't just think that cuz the TJ fight, more so because of how much he leans side to side, it makes him susceptible to getting timed leaning into one like TJ did a few times. Now his amazing feints and set ups and reaction time and footwork help protect him from this, but Wonderboy also throws his head kicks way better than TJ. Zero set up, lightening fast and from crazy angles.
I assumed that was also something you were referring to & good points. That would be a super awesome match up if these guys were the same size, hah. Dom's wrestling is the huge factor there though obviously.

I assumed that was also something you were referring to & good points. That would be a super awesome match up if these guys were the same size, hah. Dom's wrestling is the huge factor there though obviously.

Definitely one of the most intriguing style match ups to think about. Definitely agree about Doms wrestling, but who knows. Wonderboy has now completely stifled two of the best grapplers at WW so its hard to say. He hasn't been taken down since the Matt Brown fight 4 years ago and stuffed Hendricks and Rory really easily. Can't wait to see him fight more.

Cruz is a monster at any weight of the same size

It would be very interesting, that's for sure. I honestly think Wonderboy is a top 5 p4p fighter in MMA. I'd favor him to beat the current champ at WW and MW. Cruz is arguably THE best p4p fighter in the sport though. Cruz is definitely more well-rounded, but I do think WB matches up pretty well with him. I think it'd be close.

Now you're referring to guys who get injured significantly often. & I wouldn't group Dom & even Khabib in with the Pettis', Cain's, Weidman's & Nog's of MMA since those guys get injured consistently where as Dom & Khabib have only been injured in certain pockets of their careers. They've just been a bit recent. But when you look at it that way, it makes it even more impressive how successful they've been despite being so injury prone.
I might agree that Khabib doesn't necessarily belong in the same class as Pettis, but Cruz sure isn't far behind. Don't get me wrong, there's not much he can do about getting injured, and having shitty knees myself I know all too well what that's like. Shitty roll of the dice more than anything.

I will pick Wonderboy. His striking is in different level.

BTW everyone talking about that Matt Brown fight, they are forgetting one thing. Matt himself admitted that he was knocked out twice in that match, It was just Referee didn't notice & also he gained his sense much quickly was the reason the fight wasn't gotten stopped.

Cruz is far superior to WB. WB's ground game is still abysmal.

ellenberger-kd-thompson.gif

Matt Brown already beat WB's ass. A pressure fighter with good hands KO's WB
You say this in every Wonderboy thread, but it's not quite that simple. Wonderboy is looking to counter people and he has phenomenal timing, accuracy and movement. Matt Brown said Wonderboy basically knocked him out twice in their fight. And if a green Wonderboy can survive a 3-round war with Brown and a bomb behind the ear from Ellenberger, he's clearly no glass cannon. For somebody like Robbie Lawler his best bet might be to try to make it a dogfight, but throwing caution to the wind against Wonderboy isn't exactly a foolproof strategy. It's a great way to get knocked out and most elite fighters aren't interested in playing that game.

Well, Justin Scoggins is about to move up to BW, so we will find out. I favour Dom over anyone in his weight class still. He would punish those side kicks so hard.

It would be the chess match to end all chess matches. Noone would know how it ended because both the audience and the judges would be fast asleep long before the final bell. I like both guys but that is one matchup I wouldn't want to see.

It would be very interesting, that's for sure. I honestly think Wonderboy is a top 5 p4p fighter in MMA. I'd favor him to beat the current champ at WW and MW. Cruz is arguably THE best p4p fighter in the sport though. Cruz is definitely more well-rounded, but I do think WB matches up pretty well with him. I think it'd be close.
Cruz, IMO, is the most tragic story of any champ because of this. His injuries sidelined him for so long. It's obvious he's one of the best fighters to ever live. Who knows if we've missed out on his prime?

Cruz has a few more ways to win this...stylistically. But it depends on how tall/big he is in this fantasy match up. If WB is significantly the longer fight he wins due to being able to hit before he gets hit.

Size advantage is massively important to a rangey striker like WB

Doms style could very well lead him directly into a headkick from thompson, TJ tried to exploit it but wasn't able to land anything significant. Wonderboy may be able too,

Doms wrestling would be pretty significant, his ability to time takedowns is unbelievable, and he would have more success controlling WB on the ground than Faber or Dillashaw,

Dom also has something that not many fighters have, and its one of the reasons he is so good. His Fight IQ/Cpu is unprecedented, TJ went in with a gameplan he had been working on for months, after throwing the head kick he was lookin for once or twice Cruz recognized it, adapted and kept working. TJ wasn't able to make the necessary adjustments on the fly and became frustrated, it took his coach between rounds to get him settled again,

Cruzes ability to not only read his opponent but adjust his own game is, in my opinion, what sets him apart from the rest of the pack.

Page from Bellator has kinda the same stye, that would be better for me.

Mvp is a can crusher. Wb will school him. As well as the rest of the top 10 in the ufc ww division.

Cruz is only second to Fedor in the history of MMA. He is a legit ATG.

Wonderboy is all hype. He got beat by Brown FFS

No one is going to outstrike WB at range. I don't know why some people think he'd lose to guys who can't box in the pocket.

Hendricks just lost to Kelvin 3 rounds to 0...he's shot. The weight cut kills him.

That was a totally different Johnny than the one who fought GSP. WB is crafty but he's already lost to Brown, he's beatable.

Hendricks was in great shape against WB.

1454780988685.jpg

Soft and out of shape against Gastelum.

FotorCreated-24.jpg

WB is crafty but he's already lost to Brown, he's beatable.

There's just no way a fighter could possibly improve in 4 years.

Thompson's kicks would lead to td's for Dom. His timing is second to none.

Dom is very unpredictable as well.
When I said that Wonderboy is too unpredictable I meant there is a good chance he could put your lights out any second at any range. Where Dom is going to be is unpredictable but no one is in danger of being knocked out just possibly in danger of falling to sleep do to Dom's very active stalling tactics.

Back