If Conor KO's RDA will the doubters stop doubting?

Disclaimer: I don't like Conor's show personality (mainly the disrespect to his opponents), the way the UFC overhype Conor (although they do that with many people, it's not just a Conor problem), his obsession with money and a few other bits.

Not sure what the question means really. He's definitely a skilled fighter, no doubt about that, and better than I thought. I give him real credit for that.

However these factors work against how I esteem him (i.e. are sources of "doubt" for me):
  • I do think he has been very skilful (and helped by the UFC immensely) at managing his career and has had a less arduous role to a title shot than I would normally expect (i.e. leapfrogging the #1 contender) and therefore fewer top-level tests
  • He is a huge featherweight (still a large lightweight) and I am not a big fan of those who gain advantages by weight cutting (I have had an issue with this ever since LHW was set at 205 specifically to favour Tito Ortiz, for example). For me it's not clear how much of his winning comes from a size/reach advantage.
  • His takedown defense and particularly ground skills looked bad in the Mendes fight. I would like to see a fight (e.g. with a better-prepared Mendes or Edgar) that take him into deep waters before I believe he has the ability to consistently win that level of fight without avoiding wrestlers. Hopefully RDA will answer this question one way or the other.
  • His one-punch takeout of Aldo was great but honestly this kind of finish is much less satisfying and tells us less about the overall level of a fighter than a protracted battle (in the same way that Mark Weir's very quick KO in UFC 38 told us almost nothing about his long-term ability for example - he hardly blew us away after that). So I would like to see a rematch with Aldo, or a battle with another top striker to make that clearer.
Those are the main sources of doubt I have about McGregor. So, every time he wins, he makes me believe in him more, and if he can beat RDA in a good fight it will have answered much of the above - he will have lost the size advantage (although he still has some reach advantage, but not to the ridiculous levels he often has at FW), he will be facing a top-level test with a good striker and a great wrestler. Unless it's a Wonderboy-like beatdown it is unlikely to remove *all* my doubt, but then again I always have some doubt about every fighter.

But I'd still doubt he could beat a top welterweight even then, because it would introduce the factor of him facing someone larger and more powerful than him. In my mind it's entirely sensible to doubt people until they have eliminated the reasonable sources of doubt. Stands to reason.

No ones doubting him at all, hes a very good fighter. What we are doing is calling out the retards saying he's unbeatable, got more power than Machida, going to run through elite WWs.
He goes into this fight in my mind something like he went into the Aldo fight, roughly 50/50

I doubt Conor believes all his BS.
I doubt most of his fans know that this is all an act.
I doubt Conor can win a fight against a guy with a Guida game plan.
I doubt many people can take a clean left from him.
I doubt he wins the WW title.
I doubt that Conor does anything for fighter pay besides padding his own wallet.
I doubt I will ever like his disrespectful attitude.

I don't doubt his skills, I just doubt I'll ever like his schtick.

I don't doubt him. I just want to see him lose and get destroyed.

Conor KOing RDA is not an "if", it's a "when". RDA is going to get lit up like a Christmas tree, please believe.

I doubted Conor throughout his entire career... up until he KO'd Aldo.

Yeh, it took me a while.... and a lost bet.

but, I'm convinced now - he is legit.

How about the other 'doubters' ?

There is a difference between being a doubter and just hating that walking mouth. Doesn't matter who he beats, some of us will never acknowledge him other than to say we hope he gets knocked out so hard he loses some teeth. You might argue that I can at least acknowledge his skill as a fighter. I acknowledge he has a straight left hand and I haven't seen much more. His days are numbered because he is a one trick pony.

Connor is a lighter version of dan hardy. I know how this play out.

Fool me once, shame on you
Fool me twice........

I hope after conor loses to rda and then to aldo and then after a gimmie fight to edgar that all you clowns that worshiped him put a note at the bottom of all your posts to remind yourself and all of us on what an idiot yall are

I'm a skeptical individual :p

Knocking out the #1 P4P fighter in the world in thirteen seconds and beating the best wrestler in your division on short notice means nothing, apparently. If you doubt Conor's abilities you're only discrediting everyone else he has beaten so far as well.

Explain to me how one becomes a UFC champion without being a skilled fighter. I'll wait.

I think RDA and his coaches know how to approach a fight and formulate a gameplan better than you do.

Isn't that what Conor fans do before the fights? Just like they're currently doing with RDA.

Definitely. ..Mendez was impressive even if chad took the fight on short norice.
Aldo impressive as well, but kinda a fluke...top tier fighters should last more that. Something had to be off with aldo.
Now rda is a beast and looks jacked on drugs we he fights, aggressive and focused. . Should make for a great fight, I don't think Connor can take it, Which why is he wins I will stop doubting

I doubted Conor throughout his entire career... up until he KO'd Aldo.

Yeh, it took me a while.... and a lost bet.

but, I'm convinced now - he is legit.

How about the other 'doubters' ?

Doubt what exactly? That conor can lose a fight? Obviously he's very good but we're supposed to just blindly pick him to win because you've been wrong about him in the past?

I think he's an amazing fighter and he has backed up everything he said he'd do. The problem I have with McGregor is that with every win his claims become more grandiose. He said he wanted to win both the FW and LW belt, but now he's already stating he's gonna win the WW belt as well and he hasn't even fought at LW in the UFC yet.

I don't doubt he can also win the LW belt, but I think it's just as likely he'll get wrestlefucked or subbed the moment he faces a LW fighter with decent wrestling and/or BJJ. I do doubt he can win the WW belt.

Anderson had doubters for almost 10 years… Then the moment someone loses they were always overrated. Why should Conor be any different?

Both, Mendes and Aldo were way too small for Conor, I think, now the RDA is another deal, I wonder how much he cuts weight? So, yes, for me totally, if Conor wins, Yes

The truth is he didnt clear out the division. Frankie "the answer" Edgar was lurking and conor was ducking
But if he picked to fight edgar he would be ducking rda and fighters his own size right? Goof

Nope.

These RDA ''fans'' will suddenly stop caring about RDA and some will even call him a can. Then most of them will become Frankie ''fans''.

Mendes was able to take him down t will and hold him there. So much so that Conor was begging the ref for a stand up.

I'm still not convinced that should a great wrestler decide to sit on him for 5 rounds without having a brain fart, couldn't.

Heck I'm not exactly sure what Conors gas tank is like. Which is a credit to his skills of ending all fights early.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back