If Conor beats Floyd in a boxing match, does he become the GOAT of combat sports?

In all honesty even if he doesn't, he is the Ali of MMA right now.

Why are people even responding to this absurd question. lol

It is FAR easier to make it to the top in grappling then it is in Boxing. You clearly know nothing about Boxing if you think a fighter can generally just follow what his coach says and do decently. Its by far the most broken down and perfected of all the combat sports

Also you really think womens Judo has as high a talent pool as Boxing lol? You lose any credibility by saying that. I'll try and find it, but i remember a thread comparing the amount of people DC had to compete against to make the Olympic wrestling team compared to Ronda, and the amount of competition Ronda went against to make the team was underwhelming

I love how people on this forum always get insecure and try to make out like the other person knows nothing. Not all fighters just follow what their coaches do without understanding, but a lot do. A fighter doesn't really have to understand why a technique they use works, so long as they keep doing it - this can work out well, or they can end up like Adrien Broner, who thinks he has a style like Mayweather because of his guard, but forgets that it was Mayweather's ability to tie up that made him as successful defensively as it is. It's not even really the most broken down and perfected of combat sports, modern boxing is still an evolving game, with new techniques and approaches being tested all the time. It's just that most people can't see that because they either haven't trained themselves, or just see punches as punches.

If there's any reason why its easier to make it to the top grappling, its because there aren't as much bullshit politics and marketing in the way of it. In grappling the best inevitably fight the best - in boxing its all about protecting a fighter's 0. Every fighter is either marketed as having incredible power, speed or defence with few fans rarely understanding the nuances of footwork, set up and general technique - which also leads to situations like Gennady Golovkin, where many used to say that he wasn't p4p one of the best, because he hadn't beaten anyone - when the actual reason he'd beaten so few big names is because other boxers saw what a threat he was and avoided him.

Actually, I said there are more people doing Judo than there are boxing, which is pretty much true.

no. mayweather is 40 year old and hasnt fought in 2 years. he isnt p4p anymore.
ignorant mma fans like you think mayweather is the greatest boxer ever because you heard someone say it before and dont know anything else about boxing.
but the most absurd thing about your thread is that you even see a possibility that mcgregor could ever beat a top50 boxer.

What a disaster of a post. You're arguing about 3 different points and not even coherently.

Are you 17 years old? Why are you so stupid?

What a disaster of a post. You're arguing about 3 different points and not even coherently.

Are you 17 years old? Why are you so stupid?
im 18 your guess isnt bad. english is my 3rd language sorry.
what about my post do you disagree with im just curious.
this thread is about whether a win over a past his prime mayweather is a big enough achievement to surpass every great combat athlete in history.
in response to that i said 3 things.
1) that he is past his prime.
2) that mayweather is overrated as implied by TS and general mma communitys ignorance of boxing history. not the greatest boxer of all time.
3) that even discussing the possibility is pointless as mcgregor is not skilled to beat any decent boxer.

Nah. He hasn't touched the Muay Thai/Glory world, not to mention that Floyd's 40 years old and has a style that relies heavily on reflexes. He's going to get caught eventually if he keeps fighting.

This, something as insane as the title GOAT in all of combat sports is only said without being laughed at when discussed exclusively with superfans/nuthuggers of certain fighters.

Any fighter with a title that insane needs an insane list of accomplishments across all well established striking and grappling arts, maybe not necessarily excluding sports like fencing and the like even though by then that'd pretty much be more icing on top of icing.

Back